Can You Help Me?

My hubby left for work this morning.  There was a little tension in the air.

It started last night and continued thru the night.  Let me put it this way, we didn’t exactly spoon all night.
Uh uh.  Nope.
He shocked us by opening a can of Coke and dumping an entire package of peanuts into the can.
This was done in a nonchalant manner.  My kids and I froze and stared at him.  He glanced up.
“What?” he said as if he hadn’t just dome something totally weird.
“That is disgusting!  Why did you do that?” my daughter demanded.
“Yeah, Dad.  That is gross,” my son piped in.  The baby grunted and pointed.  She was in dismay too.
And this is when the tension began:  “Oh, that?  You guys haven’t heard of peanuts and coke?
It’s a Southern tradition,” he explained as if he were Paula Dean.
Who is this man?  What did he do with my hubby?
“I am Southern.  I love traditions.  I have been married to you for almost 14 years and THIS, is a first.  Peanuts and coke, together?”  I said.
Well.  What do you think?  Please help me out.  For the love of all things Southern and good, can this faux hubby be correct?
There is tension, people.  I need your help.

Comments

My son-in-law does weird stuff like this. I think it might be more a man thing than a southern thing.

Either way, it’s a sickness. . . : )
    which means you can’t leave him for it. . .

2. www.theecklife.blogspot.com says

havent heard of the peanuts and coke- but I do know that Fritos and Buttermilk are TOTALLY Southern. either way- yuck!!

Yes, yes, yes!! This is definately a Southern THING! I haven’t had it in a LONG, LONG time, but I was just thinking about it the other day. I’m sure my husband would have a similar reaction as you did, though.

One of my most vivid memories of 5th grade is of my teacher having peanuts in her Pepsi (always a glass bottle) EVERYDAY!

Hilarious! Yes, it is a REAL southern tradition. My mom (a Georgia peach) first told me about it when I was in high school. My mom is in her fifties so I’d guess that it is a older tradition and yes, it sounds weird but is good- I’ve tried it.

I’ve heard of it and even seen people who do it, but I am not a coke drinker so I never have. I’m a Texan so I’m in love with Dr. Pepper, sans peanuts thank you.

It is true. I am not a big peanut eater so I never tried it but my Dad always did that. He is a big Dr. Pepper drinker so he put peanuts in his Dr. Pepper and as someone else wrote it was always a glass bottle. It would not suprise me to call and find out he has had this in the last week or so…

It seems your many of your commenters/commentators think this is a normal Southern tradition. This Georgia Peach (home to Coke and lots of peanut farmers) has never heard of it. I’m not saying it is not some known Southern tradition but I have not heard of it.

8. Anonymous says

It is an old southern thing. Ever heard the old Barbara Mandrell country song ‘I Was Country When Country Wasn’t Cool’? In the song she sings about putting peanuts in her coke.

The only thing diving into my diet coke (Pepsi is my preference) is that awesome Sonic ice…or in a pinch the crushed ice from our refrigerator door. :) Which I affectionately blog is Useless Brown Water!

Nothing, my friend, is as gross as dipping your french fries in your frosty…that is what my DH likes to do. Bleck!

Becky, the maid

Okay, here goes.

Yes, I’ve heard of it.

Yes, I’ve tried it (usually in Diet Coke).

And yes, I LOVE IT! And I agree that it’s best in a glass bottle.

It’s not just a deep south thing, cause I learned it from my Texan Momma.

Oh my gosh this is so totally a Southern thing. I can not believe y’all have not heard of doing this. I mean its as Southern as an RC Cola and a Moon Pie. Even though I don’t like Moon Pie, or peanuts, but it is a very very Southern thing.

I have heard of it and on the one occasion I was in a bar with my mom she put peanuts in her coke! I tried it and it wasn’t bad but I think I will stick with ice in my coke.

Yep. Totally a Southern thing. Valarie was right on – RC Cola, Moon Pies, Coca – Cola and Peanuts, all. I have never actually had this concoction but I have watched my parents do it.

Happy Day to ya!

Jennifer

Gotta give your Hubby this one. It is a Southern thing and I thought it was pretty well known, LOL, but it sounds like you weren’t the only one grossed out by it.

I have heard of it, but not sure where. My hubby is known for putting crackers and cheese in his coffee. Try not to picture it, its gross. And even after 12.5 years of marriage, I am still grossed out by it. But for some reason I buy him his favorite crackers to put in his coffee. Ahhh, what we do for love!

How odd for your hubby to do that after 14 years of marriage. Well I guess it’s true what they say, you learn something new everyday. I have never heard of that but I am a california girl. I will ask my hubby when he gets home, he is from georgia.

I am with you! I have NEVER heard of such a thing, but then again I am not exactly a southern belle. I am a HUGE coke fan though and you have gotten me curious. I’d be willing to give it a try.

My mom was raised in AL and I remember her doing that when I was younger and Coke came in those smaller glass bottles. She also melts cheddar cheese on her apple pie (what a way to ruin it, I think!) and crumbles cornbread in buttermilk.

Yes, it’s common. Sick and wrong, huh?

The weird thing is not that he did it, but that he did it so non-chalantly after 14 years.

I can understand your shock and dismay. Just when you think you know someone…..

BTW – don’t try dumping peanuts into Diet Coke. It’s nasty.

The best thing for Diet Coke, (and I KNOW these things. Just ask Queen B) is PEANUT m&ms;, but not IN the Diet Coke.

Hmmm..hmmm. The breakfast of champions.

From my understanding of the tradition, to be done correctly this should be done with a glass bottle and not a can. Glass bottles are still sold. Here in Middle of Nowhere, GA, they are quite easy to find. However, I will have to say that this is a tradition that was practiced mainly among the older folks. Perhaps your dear hubby is really a well-perserved 72-year-old man named Cecil who has been lying to you all these years. I would have him investigated if it were me. :o)

I’m not southern so this probably doesn’t mean anything, but I have never heard of that. Do you chew the peanuts as you drink or do you keep them all in your drink like ice until you are done and then eat them?

I love this! Yes, it is very southern. I am talking about Paula Deen is high class southern, possum pie southern. It has to be in a glass bottle Coke for the full effect. It is wonderful. Let me ask you a question. Have you ever eaten something salty and thought I need something sweet and vice versa? Here you have the salty and sweet combined. My mom taught me this trick when I still had a bottle. You shouldn’t knock it until you have tried it.