Sincerely ‘Fro Me to You-The Fun Run

Hello!  Glad to have your here this week for Sincerely ‘Fro Me to You!  If you want to join in, please read guidelines here.

I have always had an athletic build.
Let me rephrase that.
I had an athletic build, before three pregnancies left me with a dumpy athletic build.
Don’t wait for the punch line.  Because I’m not joking.
As a kid, I was muscular.  I had large thigh muscles and defined calves.  I had a runner’s body.
The summer before the  seventh grade, I aspired to join the jr. high track team.
So, I signed up for the Summer Fun Run.
Because I thought it would be fun.
Did I mention that it was a 5 mile run and I had never even run a mile?
Yeah, that didn’t seem to be nearly as important as my outfit. Does Jane Fonda ring a bell?
I remember being very concerned about what I wore.  I coordinated my top and shorts to match my brand new little white canvas sneakers (the ones WalMart sells for like $3 bucks).
The idea of support never once crossed my mind, until I actually started running.
And then that’s all I thought about. My legs ached, my feet cramped. And the blisters were unsightly.
I remember thinking, “Fun run? You’ve got to be kidding me.  What’s so fun about this?”
My parents and siblings followed me in the car, screaming out the window, “Go, Kristen!  You can do it!”
I was dying.  Surely, this was death.
I’m not sure how I finished the run, but I did, dead last.  I learned something very important that day.
I was destined to be a sprinter.
And just because the word ‘fun’ is in the title, doesn’t mean it will be.
But this?  Laughing at all of you? Now, that is fun.

Comments

Kristen, my dear goofball… I think your post time & date is a little off for Fro this wk. It's down at the bottom instead of the top.

Hee. Hee. All the better for me. I found it first! Posted about my husband's grandfather's milk truck & my Elsie the cow collection. :)

By the way, I am NOT a runner either. Love a good brisk walk, but I'll only run if someone is chasing me.

Confessions of an Apron Queen: http://anapronaday.blogspot.com

RUNNN, Kristen, RUNNN!
    I Sooo can’t run, either! If I have to run for my life I might die!
    I’m off to trash out on some pizza because around midnight, I TURN 39 AND THAT’S A GOOD ENOUGH REASON!
    Hope you don’t mind the “birthday suit- fro pic”. Oh, breathe! It’s a baby pic! ;)

Marcy - The Glamorous Life! says

Great story…even cuter with the photos taken out the car window!

I posted my senior photo…with a letter to myself in Highschool….the first sentence is just FRO YOU!

Oh Kristen. I’m having so much fun participating in this!!!

I don’t know how one picture tends to be worst than the last. I didn’t seem to think so when I was scanning them – only after I start writing them. lol

Thanks for the inspiration – always!

“Fun” and “Run” should not be used in the same sentence.

Not a Sincerely ‘Fro Me to You player, yet, but I’m digging out all those old photos tomorrow!!!

I have ALWAYS known my limitations when it comes to running. I am VERY limited. The sporty pics of you are cute!

Sorry I have been missing in Fro Me to You action lately. Things are settled now and I am back to my (bad, as in excessive) Blogging habits!

Be blessed Kristen!

Jen

I am sure your feet were just screaming in pain after wearing the white canvas sneakers.

Yes, and it’s a shame was two kids and turning 40 will do to the ol’ athletic girl frame. *sigh*

I need someone chasing me 5 miles a day!

It looks like you were the only one running!

I tried track in middle school. I assure you if they would have suggested I run 5 miles, I would have laughed, died or something. I would not have made it.

Kudos to you for doing that, blisters and all!

You poor thing! I have always refused to run. I would opt to stay after school and walk extra laps than run during PE. I think it’s because I was top heavy as a teen… thanks to BB however, my bottom half has caught up :(

Wow. I remember wearing those kind of flat shoes w/ no support while running track in Jr. High. Torture. I just started running again after more than 20 years. I finally bought myself a good pair of shoes! That is so awesome that you finished the race.

Very cute!

I have to tell you how much I’ve enjoyed stopping by your blog. I love your writing style, and I always leave with a smile. Thanks!

Fun and run don’t seem like they should go together. The pictures are cute, though. And your writing rocks.

Sorry I’m a little late to the ‘Fro party. I’ve been nursing a migraine. I thought I’d skip this week, but I just couldn’t stay away!

Oh Dear God. Running. I think that word is quite possibly the closest synonym to the word Hell. Just sayin’. What in the world do we need to be in such a rush for anyway? ;0)

Love the post – I was in the same boat….I loved to sprint, hated distances. I’ve done one of the “fun runs” and I also have to agree with you there too – who on earth said those were FUN??? Glad you finished the race, though :)

I couldn’t run because I was to top heavy and I didn’t know sports bras really worked by then…but I do now and I really like the feeling I get when I do go something like this “I can do all things through Christ whom strengthens me! (repeated over and over to the end) Otherwise I would flat give up!
    Great post! I had a cute flower girl pix to share but you know visit to the ER then surgery and of coarse the 4yr kinda needed me to hang around…so no FRO this week ;0)

A day late, but I am participating for the 1st time this week. :)

Congrats on finishing the race. Summer & run do not = fun in my book, especially in Texas. ;)