A Good Place to Dream

I have always dreamed of a beautiful bedroom.  And my dreams-they are not lofty. I didn’t even dream of the finest furnishings or the most gorgeous decor, because who am I kidding?  I have three accident-prone kids, two cats who don’t like each other, and a messy hubby living with me.
I just wanted a bedroom that spoke to me and felt like me.  And one that didn’t have padded walls and straight-jackets on hand.  I’m just saying.
I love old things.  But I didn’t want an old bed because I knew it would likely be another decade before I had money and my hubby’s consent on such a project.
So, we shopped the scratch and dent section at a nearby furniture store and smiled pleasantly at the eye-rolling sales people when we bought mismatched bedroom
 furniture.
We painted the walls chocolate brown and I found that quilt for $40! (I always be king for my queen bed, so it covers more. Plus one of the people who sleeps in that bed is a cover-hog. Ahem).
Above my bed:
Our slightly scratched furniture didn’t include a dresser mirror. So, I saved the one from our old worn-out furniture (which I sold in the newspaper for $300!). I’m mixing up the colors of the wood here. But I love it!

My favorite part of the room, is the bench at the foot of the bed.  I drug my hubby through a flea market for two days until I found it.  Because I’m a thrifty bully.
I squealed when I stumbled upon that rug.  It’s the reverse print of my quilt.  I didn’t embarrass myself though because the employees at TJ Maxx know me.  (Although that embarrasses my hubby!)
Old stuff from my in-law’s farm and photos of my kids complete the top of the armoire.
The antique (replica) laundry basket holds the pillows I throw off my bed at night.
I found this curio cabinet at a garage sale!
And this old door?  Yes, it speaks to me.
So, does the $40 leopard print chair I bought off Ebay!

Check out Kelly’s for some inspiring master bedrooms!

Comments

What a beautiful bedroom!

I never thought about getting something to put my throw pillows in at night. Your idea is way better than throwing them on the floor like I do.

I’m always looking for ideas on where to put my decorative pillows at night. Great idea!

I LOVE your bench. I have one that my elderly neighbor man made YEARS ago that was given to me after he died. We cut it down (it was LONG), painted it rustic barn red, and put it at the foot of my bed. One of my favorite pieces.

Enjoying your blog!!

VERY COOL!!!!!!!!!! I love chocolate and minty blue!

AND I LOVE OLD STUFF! I think it’s great that you mix the wood colors. Gives it a more vintage feel!

I cannot believe I missed this! I have been waiting for months for BooMama’s Before and After… I shall go link… now!!!

It’s great that you did your bedroom. My husband and I just did ours as a project together for our 5th anniversary. I heard a while back that the master bedroom is always the last to be done because we think it’s not important, because no one else ever needs to see it. But the decorator said it’s probably the most important because it is our retreat, as individuals and as a couple.

Hmm…maybe I’ll have to post a pic of my bedroom and you can give me ideas about the extra touches I could make. We don’t have much room on my side of the bed where the pillows get thrown. Now you’ve got me thinking…what would work for my pillows?! Oh! YOUR room is beautiful! Can I rent it for a night?!

I love the old laundry basket thing. I love the whole room actually. :) I saw one of those laundry things at a yard sale / flea market thing and they wanted way to much for it.

I love it! I’m wanting to paint my walls a chocolate color and I want a bench like that too!

(I have faster internet now so I can comment – YAY LOL)

I love the room. I am one of “those” that matches all the furniture then wish my room looked better. I must know how you did the love saying on the wall.

Okay, so now I am on the hunt for a vintage laundry cart!! I usually pile mine on the settee, but I hate it. Thanks for the great idea!! Love your space!

freefun0616 says