A Thousand Words: A Hurricane in Pictures

This is down the road. I thought the huge rug of grass uprooted by this giant oak tree was amazing:
This is our street, blocked off by a huge fallen tree:

Giant trees crushed the roof of this car wash at our neighborhood shopping center:

Rising flood waters threatening homes:

In front of our home:

Comments

Oh wow.. that is crazy! How is yalls house? We were pretty fortunate, by the time Ike made it’s way up to the DFW area, it was just rain and a little wind. I am glad you and your family are alright!

2. Judy says

I found out last night one of my close Conroe friends ended up with a tree slicing through about 60% of their home. They are completely displaced and homeless now. I was finally able to find her yesterday evening…they thankfully have ROCKIN’ insurance through USAA and will rebuild and have a housing allowance through the whole thing, but it will be a long process.

Amazing pictures – especially the one of the sod.

Glad you all are comfy up in OK. Hope power comes back quickly so that you can return home and back to your normal routine.

Blessings and prayers!

Those are amazing pictures. Ike’s wrath was widespread…I’m in Ohio and there are nearly 200,000 without power from a windstorm on Sunday that was a result of Ike. Hurricane force winds in a landlocked state that uprooted trees…

Ike Take a Hike is right.

I’m glad to read, though, that you all are safe in Oklahoma.

I’m happy you are all safe. That sod carpet is pretty amazing. We lived on the coast of NC for several years and it is astounding what wind can do – espcially with a 100 ft tall pine tree as its weapon of choice.

Wow! Especially the first photo! Glad to know you are safe.

It makes me think about the comfort of being in God’s arms.

The Lord is our strong tower .. the righteous run into it and they are saved.

Glad you are all ok. Looks like alot of cleanup though. You sure have your work cut out for you! We managed to make it through Hurricane Bertha when we lived in NC in 1996. I was 9 mos. pregnant at the time. We were lucky though, our house was spared, I didn’t go into labor, we just had alot of trees down and yard cleanup, and no a/c or water for about 5 days. I remember sleeping in our van so that we could have a/c for awhile. It was just too hot at night being that far along in July! LOL

That first photo just stunned me. I’m so glad y’all are okay and that, for the most part, people evacuated to avoid Ike. Can you imagine if everyone in your neighborhood just hung out there during the storm? It boggles the mind.

I’m so glad you and your family are alright. I have been worried about everyone down that way. I’m glad y’all had somewhere to go. I will be praying for everyone down there.

It’s just unbelievable, isn’t it?

The clean-up is going to take a long time. The devastation is mind boggling. We’ll come through this to the other side tho.

Oh my Gosh! I didn’t know you were somewhere near that path! Our winds only got up to 57, so we had trees down, and I worked most of the day Sunday, but nothing like that! I hope you and your family, and your property were okay!

Kristen….I’ve been praying for you guys and girls down there…THANK GOD ya’ll are safe..
    The pictures are amazing…and frightening….

Peace….
    Oh, I read The Shack in less than a day…UNHEARD of for me…;)whew..that’s all I can say…we’d need a couple cups of coffee to really “chat” about it! :)

take care down there..
    lori

Oh yikes! My pictures are set to auto publish tonight at 5pm. Yours beat mine. Those are some HUGE trees in places they aren't supposed to be. Our neighborhood is fairly new and it was built right after Hurricanes Katrina & Rita. The developers delibrately cut down all the big trees from the front yards and a good bit of hte back yards. We live next to an empty lot full of pine trees and that's where some of our damage came from. Will you ever stay through another hurricane?? :)

It’s upsetting how many bloggers are seeing sights like that right outside their own houses. Happy that you are safe!

I just donated to the Russians, p.s.

Hope they are doing ok through the storms!

xx
    Claire

That is some impressive acts of nature. I thought our neighborhood looked bad. I feel lots better about our area of East Texas. We lost water and electric for a couple of days, but all is well now. Glad you are safe.

OH MY WORD! I’m SOO glad your house didn’t end up with a tree on it or something!

It’s devastating, but at the same time, still a powerful reminder of God’s awesome might and the wonder of creation.

I like the comment someone made about God being our strong tower.. Of course, that could have something to do with Strong Tower by Kutless being one of my all time favorite songs. :)

The rug of grass actually makes me laugh – maybe it’s because this whole week has made me want to cry. All in all – we’ll all be fine, but it’s just shocking to see all of the pictures and know that a lot of them show places that I have been to.

OK. I know this old news by now – but I have just found your blog. I so relate to this. I’m not sure what state you’re in – but we were still living in FL that summer. Ike missed us. However, the eyewall of Charlie, Francis and Jean all went over our town. Your picture bring back memories. After Jean we came home to find our back porch in our front yard! Right after we got everything back to normal our house was struck by lightning. So – we did what any rational family would do – we moved out of state! OK. Not that you wanted to know all of that – but there you have it…my “I can so relate” story.