There is Something to that Hunkering Down Thing

Thank you so much for your prayers! We survived Ike and are so glad to be safe. We are without power, air conditioning and we are boiling water. Cell towers are gridlocked, so I can only update Twitter in the middle of the night with my thumbs and a very tired iPhone.

Our roads are blocked by massive trees and there isn’t gasoline or staples available in our community. We have heard that power could be out for a month, but are hoping they are wrong. We will be leaving if they are right because I am not in the mood to camp that long!

There are hundreds of trees down and about every third one is on someone’s roof or car, my parents being one of them. But our town, an hour from Galveston, received only a glancing blow from hurricane Ike.

Of course, my kids think this is a grand adventure!

And since we are all safe, I think they are right.

It’s about basics now –

And that’s never a bad thing.

Comments

Oh Kristen you haven’t left my mind since Friday! I checked your blog for updates about 50 times yesterday. So funny how a year ago we didn’t even know each other and now you mean so much to me! I am so glad your family is all doing well! The power company always over estimates the time line, when we were part of Hurricane Floyd in VA Beach we were without power for only days although it was not nearly the magnitude of Ike.
    I hope you all are able to find shelter soon.
    Happy Mommy

Glad you are safe. Hopefully they will get power restored soon and all will return to normal. Or, as normal as life can be after a hurricane.
    Positive thoughts and prayers sent your way!

There was a hurricane this weekend? (Kidding, I’m kidding, y’all.) Glad to know you are safe and sound… although I’ll be praying for your sound mind because, if you are without power as long as expected, you’re gonna need all the prayers you can get to stay sane.

So glad you are safe. Ike looked horrendous. I agree that a whole month of camping out does not sound like that much fun. After about 3 days I would be ready for a hot shower, some TV (or my computer actually) and the ability to turn on my stove and cook.

laytonfamily says

so glad you’re okay! And praying for your folks too!

Hope you are with power soon – and stocked up! Best of luck
    Stef

Sounds so exciting!
    Your always welcomed out here in the Hill Country!
    Hope everyone stays well…the only thing I wouldn’t like is no flushing toliets and I’m asumming you have that!

Take care and God’s Speed in returning to normal routines!

Man, that was a close one huh? Never fun to go through things like that. Kids might find it an adventure, but for the parents, it is a nightmare. If there is anything we can do from here please let me know. If you need supplies that you can’t get anywher close, I can make a trip to Texas, I am RETIRED you know!!! My son escaped all but wind and rain in Tyler Texas. I have not talked to him today, but I think his tress survived. Take care and please, I am serious, if you need something, we can get it in Tulsa and be there in short time! Have truck, chainsaw, and strong husband…,.will travel for friends.

So very glad that you and your family are OK. I have relatives and friends in Spring. Talked with them briefly…

They are all safe, but their neighborhood (to quote them) looks like a warzone with trees, houses, and cars blown over.

I hope that your power is restored soon. I know that crews from Sunny, FL are on the way to help with that…

So glad you are all okay and that your hose and possessions weathered the storm. In Fl when we went through several hurricanes in a row (four years ago?), our kids thought it a grand adventure. I didn’t really care for sleeping in the pantry, but they have never forgotten it.

The heat nearly killed me. I tried to be very, very still and not work up any more of a sweat than I already had going.

The power companies were great and although there were dire predictions (like 3-4 weeks til it will all be restored), we saw quick progress and life returned to normal with relative ease.

We got to know the neighbors better since we were all out helping each other clean up. I know some neighborhoods had grilling parties to use all the food that was defrosting! Everyone worked together and then ate together. That was a nice extra benefit.

You’ll be surprised at how quickly your community bounces back. =)

I am thankful ya’ll are safe! We are too. We only have minor damage. And we are fortunate that our power is back on now. I pray that it doesn’t take a month for yours. That’s awful! But with over 3 million people without right now, I guess I can see that.

So thankful to hear how your kids are seeing this…they’ll remember “this” for the rest of their lives :/.

Hopefully, y’all will be up and running sooner rather than later. When Hurricane Hugo went through our SC town years ago, we were back in business faster than they thought.

Thought I’d let you know my prize made it here!! I guess ahead of the storm (thank you…I know you had plenty to do without sending those out!).

Hugs and prayers :).

I’m so glad to hear that you all are doing well or better than some. Camping for a month without electricity…YIKES! You can always come visit us in Delaware. I hope you get it back sooner than later. Good luck getting things back to normal. Gotta love the kids perspective…it’s just another adventure!

So thankful that you and your family are safe and sound.
    We have A LOT of family in various parts of TX and all are well, too. One family does have a tree on top of their house, but it didn’t puncture the roof.
    I live in MO and passed SEVERAL utility trucks with cherry pickers headed your way this afternoon. I pray that the month long estimation is an EXTREME exaggeration.

jOni lAnE says

So glad you posted to let us know you are okay. Hubby got the paper today and the rescues were on the front page, I was praying you guys were okay! I love that blogland has connected me to people I wouldn’t otherwise know, and I worry and think about many of you like family. Knowing people affected by Ike has made this very real for me, instead of just “something” I read in the paper. Sending hugs and good thoughts your way.
    Smiles,
    -J

I have been wondering and wondering about you! So glad to know that you are safe. Hope that power is back SOON for you. I do like camping, but camping in your own house isn’t really a good time.

How did you post with no power? And what happens with school in your situation? When do they restart and do they make a longer school year? Sorry, curious about how all that works.

Will be praying that you continue to stay safe and that all goes smoothly for you.

Anonymous says

Dee from Tennessee

Thankful that y’all are safe and glad to see an update… I almost didn’t check because I thought you wouldn’t be able to post.

Hoping that the out of town crews will be able to jump in and help get power restored and that the insurance companies will be NICE to everyone.

Praise God you all are well! And have the water to boil. Glad you are enjoying the adventure and mainly that you’re safe.

NC power is on the way – my girlfriend’s husband left for your way this am with lots of power trucks. For weeks they said.

Oh, I’m so blessed to read you guys are safe!!

I guess you stayed during the storm?

I’m a Katrina, and now Gustav survivor!!

We went 4 weeks on generators for Katrina, and only 7 days for Gustav.

Learned alot during those times, and actually it wasn’t that bad after all. (not to minimize how difficult it is!)

We had lots of quality time together, spent lots of time out doors with neighbors, and I got to catch up on my reading.

Candlelight at night, isn’t that bad!!

Praying you guys will be up and running soon.

PS Sorry about your parents house, we had a tree through our roof too!

Glad you are safe. we got a little of Ike in Kentucky. Blew some trees down and our power was out for a day.
    As my husband asked – “How did the pioneers do it?”

I read your blog often, and am so glad to hear you made it safely through the horrific fury of Ike. We live on the west side of Houston, hunkered down like you did, and made it through relatively unharmed, too. Thank the Good Lord, we got our power back yesterday around 4 p.m. and I’ve never been more thankful! It was getting a little toasty and I just a little cranky!

Oh, bless you and your family Kristen. This reminds me so much of Fran in NC 11 years ago. I so hope your power is restored soon and you don’t have to leave. But at least you are safe. Good to hear from you.

Oh thank god. I’ve been thinking about you and hoping you were ok. That sucks about the power and everything else, but I’m sure you feel fortunate compared to how it could have been.

If you need anything, please let us know.

Wow, I don’t “know” anyone else this closely affected by Ike! (I quote know since I only know you via your blog and not face to face…). We are so glad that you are safe and sound, and that y’all will have this adventure to remember and talk about when the kids are older. “Remember when…” is always a fun game to play! How did our wonderful little Russian refugee family fare in the storm? Please update us!

so glad to hear that you are okay. We lived in the Houston area (Pearland) for a brief 15 months, but made some wonderful friends. We were glued to the TV all weekend watching for updates. Directtv has a hurricane update channel and we watched KHOU all weekend. We finally heard from our friends on Sunday. The area we lived was not hit hard, many downed fences, the trees received a good pruning and the power was restored yesterday afternoon.

you will be in our thoughts.

Wow, I have been reading your blog for sometime now and never realized you lived so close to the coast.

We are in Houston (Cypress) and got some pretty bad winds. I have never heard anything like it before. We are doing well considering and are some of the few with power. Anyways…prayers to you all.

I didn’t realize you were so close to me. We were in a mandatory evacuation area, so we headed to Dallas. Got back on Sunday to find minor damage and a lot of mess, but the area we live in – Clear Lake – and all the area around us, including Galveston – is utter destruction. We finally got our power back yesterday, thank God. Wrote about it on my blog.

Pray for all the Ike victims – it’s going to take a long time to recover from this one!