The Best Time of the Day

Something happens {nearly} every day at {almost} the same time.

The phone rings.
The kids and I stop what we are doing: I put dinner on hold, the homework is paused, the toddler clinging to my leg, relents.
We walk out the front door.
And we sit on the driveway.  And we wait.
We wait for a noise…..oh, do you hear it?  It’s distant, but it’s coming closer, yes, that’s definitely it!
At the sound of the honking horn, we stand up and look towards the end of the street. We jump up and down and wave. The toddler does a little dance. The neighbors point and stare.
Because someone is coming home! He pulls slowly into the crowded driveway and rolls down his window.  He scoops up the toddler thru the open window and she helps him park the car. The older kids begin their verbal recount of the day to their daddy.
And I kiss my man.
And after being gone all day and working hard, we honor him by greeting him.
It’s the best time of the day.
(When I was a newlywed, a wise woman told me that she always stopped whatever she was doing to greet her husband when he walked thru the door. I remember mentally scoffing the old fashioned idea. It’s funny how it’s become one of my favorite traditions. Plus, I think they call it reinforcements.)
Food for the Soul:
Psalm 84:11
For the LORD God is a sun and shield; the LORD bestows favor and
honor; no good thing does he withhold from those whose walk is blameless.

Comments

Love it! Reminds me of a part from Winnie the Pooh when WTP says “It’s the best part of the day! The part when you and me, becomes ‘we’!”

I make sure to always greet my Hubby with a kiss too. And the kids always rush out to the porch to greet Daddy. It’s a nice thing, being happy to have our family back together at the end of the day.

That is so great!! I miss greeting my husband when he comes home from work. It’s a great reminder for when he comes home from his deployment. Oh, and there will be much celebration when that happens!

You know in the hustle and bustle of life, I nearly miss the car in the garage all together. I’m not sure if I want to be like that or not. but I feel really honored that you would share your family’s special moments with me.

Take care,
    Cathy

That made me cry, too (of course, I am 9 months pregnant so lots of things make me cry easily). I don’t greet my husband like that everyday, but I think I’m going to begin doing that tonight. What a great tradition! Thanks so much for sharing.

What an example you are my friend. You touch so many lives, you lead by example, you guide and direct by simple words and deeds. I am so glad I have found you, glad you share such details of your life, honored to have you part of my support circle even though I am much older, I am so honored to have such a sweet spirit to start my day…every day!

What a great idea to pass on! We pretty much do this already but my husband’s commute is a “beast” so we are usually at the dinner table by the time he walks in. But we get up and run to him, yes we do! : )

Awww! That is so sweet! I just wanted to let you know that this is my favorite blogs. You are very funny and I LOVE your DIY projects. We have a very similar decorating style. I am so glad I found your blog!

I’m with you on this one. We try as much as possible every day to greet daddy when he comes home from work. (unless it’s 1am!) I stop what I am doing as well. It’s great fun and I know my husband loves it too. We also go out and do the goodbye too when he leaves for work. Everyone goes out and walks him to the car, give our kisses, say our goodbyes and wave as long as we can see him. Good stuff.
    Take care,
    Julie

Dang. You just messed up my perfectly applyed make up.

I love how the kids run to the door when they hear the garage door go up!

And I agree….it is the best part of the day!

When mine were little, we always greeted daddy at the door, too. One time, my 22 month old got hit by the opening door and smashed up against the wall. Poor thing.

The kids still run to the door when daddy comes home but I realize now how I’ve slacked a bit in the “greeting my husband at the door” area. Thanks for the reminder and the encouragement.

I have to admit I haven’t been very good at this, but it’s something I have decided to work on. The hard part for us is he comes home at a different time every day – some days 3pm, some days 5pm, some days 7pm, some days 11pm when we are all asleep. Thanks for the reminder.

Nice post! So true how the kids want there daddy to come home and love to greet him. I need to make my greeting him more of a priority. Thanks for the message.

Now, if you get a chance, try to stop by and see where my sister Rena and I have just started our first meme called The Daily Mercies. You may remember our original posts through Sincerely fro’.

It will be weekly on Sundays, so please spread the word and leave us any advise you may have.

Thanks,
    Rena and Ginger

You know Rena from: http://insertgracehere.wordpress.com/

My site will be listed in closing this message.

Thannnnnk you!!!

This is so special. Especially after reading about the hardships you and your hubs have weathered. What an act of servanthood! We are adding this to our day….thanks for inspiring!

So so sweet. What a wonderful thing to come home to.

My man works nights so he comes home to house full of sleeping people. This made me feel sad for him. Give your man an extra kiss from me. ;)

A great reminder that I should be doing that. I know I stop to kiss him & say how was your day. But giving him attention fully is lacking on most days. What a wonderful post!

I LOVE this! Thank you for sharing such a great idea. We’ve just started all walking out onto the porch early in the morning to say good bye to my husband and oldest daughter as he drives her to school and himself off to work for the day. He commented the other day how much he loves that. I’m totally going to implement your ideas here!

My dad used to call my mom everyday to tell her he was on his way home, but I realized, all these years later, that it was so that the garage door would be open for him. I still thought it was sweet that he would call her everyday.

We have a very similar tradition in our house. We watch out the window, you can tell his car pulls in when the dog starts barking (she has a certain bark that means, “Daddy’s home” and the kids all get their instruments (yes you read that right) my son get the snare drum or his toy guitar, my toddler always get the tambourine, and my “baby” get the maracas or she just claps her hands and we run to the gate at the top of the stairs and all song, “Yea Daddy, Yea, Wo-hee-who-he-who” over and over and hubby comes bouncing up the stairs to hug and kiss us all. It is the best part of the day for all of us. I agree fully, our hubbies deserve that honor and attention.

Awww, that’s so sweet!!!

We do that too, but not actually go out and wait for him at the door, but when he walks in we stop what we’re doing and greet him with hugs and kisses.

I agree, a very good part of the day!

My hubby just sent me the link to this post, I am sure in a loving hintful way. Sometimes I get so caught up in fixing dinner and controlling temper tantrums and warding off fights that I don't even hardly say hello when he walks in. I am gonna try this — thanks for sharing!!!

22. jan says

I always do this as well. Not necessarily by design but more by the fact that I AM so excited he is home. Always.

One tradition we did create in the beginning of our marriage was to always kiss and say “I love you” before you left the house. Or left each other to go to any other location (whether it is going separate ways after a kid’s soccer game, one to do errands, one to take kids home, etc). I read a long time ago about a women who did this and then lost her spouse in an accident. She took faith that their last words to each other were spoken in love.

23. none says

Being happy someone of any gender is returning home is nice.

Does he do the same if you’re returning home from something?

I’m so glad I’m living in 2012 and am not stuck being a happy housewife if I don’t choose to be a housewife.
    So, if your husband was a house spouse, would you expect same ‘welcome home’ greeting?

What incredibly wise words! I read them in a book somewhere many years ago. People also laughed at me when I shared the thought with them.

This is sound advice. Married 28 years and still going strong.

25. Christine says

While I truly think this is great. But, it seems to be for a family where the mother is not working. I work as does my husband and we have teenagers that a rarely are home until after dinner because of sports practices, etc.

Ironically, my Husband traditionally says (as he is standing in the kitchen – coming in from the garage) “come here and talk with me.” Don’t judge, but I just got done with a crazy day of regular work, along with putting out fires and accompanied by teenagers calling a texting me as if I am standing by waiting to serve them – I don’t feel I should be the one to HAVE to go see and talk with my husband. Because the reality is that I actually am responsible for a whole lot more than he is.

Sorry, I didn’t mean to go into a tizzy.

Any ideas that would accomodate this scenerio?