A Gift that Tastes Like Chicken

I’ve told y’all all about my good man.

He’s not perfect. And we’ve had our fair share of Potato Soup fights.
(Our first fight ever was over potato soup. He liked my recipe so much, he kept going back to refill his bowl. I whined about not having any left from the double batch for lunch the next day, so he dumped the whole bowl in the trash. The fight ensued…)
(Yes, I won that fight!)
But fourteen years later, we are still best friends and I deeply respect him.
During the week, he spends a lot of time in his car driving to doctor’s offices. He’s a Pharmaceutical Rep and as a part of his job he provides lunch for the clinics.
One area of town, about 20 minutes from our house, is a lower-income area. There are homeless people under every overpass.
One day, my hubby rolled down his window and offered his own lunch to a homeless man.
He did it again the next day.
And again the next week.
He prayed with one desperate lady and encouraged a sad man.
And now on a regular basis, he pauses during his busy day, to make someone else’s. I was so proud.  I told my kids about it.
Do you know what they said?
“Take us, Dad. We want to feed them too.”
And so we did. On Saturday.  It was our One Day to Give for November.
We filled up two sacks with Chick Fil A chicken biscuits and we prayed. (And yes, I did get a sweet tea, just in case you were wondering.)
As one person after another came to our car window, I watched my children’s faces.

They looked closely. They listened intently. And they understood why their Dad feeds the homeless.
One man in particular touched us deeply. My hubby asked if he was hungry. He smiled and said, ‘yes, this is the first food I’ve had in two days.” His joy was evident. And so was his relief. (My hubby handed him my large cup of sweet tea too.  Now that’s sacrifice! Do you think a cup of cold sweet tea given in Jesus’ name counts the same?)
On our way home, we talked with our kids. I knew this would be a day they would remember. “Do you have any questions?” I asked.
“Yes,” my son said. “If that one man is homeless, how did he get gold teeth?”
I explained that most people don’t start off homeless and we speculated some about his life. I said, “and for some, gold teeth are a fashion statement.”
My almost 9 year old fashionable daughter said, “Who would want gold teeth?”
My son raised his hand and said, “Me!”
During this wonderful week of Thanksgiving, take a moment to give. You’ll be glad you did.

Comments

Such compassion and care for others. And how beautiful that your kids see this and will one day do the same…. minus the gold tooth.

Happy THANKSgiving.

how precious. my sister is a single mom and regularly takes her two boys with her to meals on wheels, i think it is so great to volunteer early and often w/kiddos.

The food is a nice thought. But sharing the Word of God and the message of our Lord is the real gift. I commend you and your family for such kindness. Hopefully you will be able to lead some to Christ. We will be praying for you and your ministry to them. As always remember us in your prayers as well.

4. Mrs. Querido says

“Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’

“Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’

“The King will reply, ‘I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.”
    Matthew 25:34-40

All I have to add to that is:
    Way to go THAT family! Making Jesus real to those who need to hear about real Love. You guys are an inspiration. :)

Keep up the good work!

They get it! That is wonderful. I have “act of kindness” on our daily schedule for my 19-mo-old, and we don’t always get to it, but I want it to be a way of life for her…

Thanks for sharing such an encouraging testimony! Hopefully it will prompt us all on to “love and good deeds” (Hebrews 10:24).

Now, not to take away from the excellent spiritual lesson, but I’ve been looking for a really good potato soup recipe. Would you mind sharing yours?? :)

Kristen, I just love your heart. The title “That Family” fits your brood for more than just the “wacky” reasons that you often highlight. You’re not just “That Family” who often winds up in the ER, or makes a big scene at the local diner.

You are “That Family” who gives to the least of these by feeding the hungry, raising money for causes, and caring for refugees.

Kristen, I truly see you as “That Mom, friend, wife, child of God,” who sacrifices, loves, comforts, prays, and lives with joy.

Thank you for bringing such joy into the lives of many—you’ve truly blessed my heart. Angela

Your actions will be remembered by your kids long after your words. You have given them a great gift. Also, you have a very special husband, indeed. :-) As for that sweet tea…that’s just too…well…sweet! :-)

I think that is an awesome thing to do with your kids! It’s pretty great that they wanted to be a part of it on their own.

In high school a couple of my best friends drove past a homeless man on the street in Nashville. They went to McDonald’s and brought him back a bag full of food. They coined the phrase “a drive-by fooding” and it has stuck with us… and it still makes us smile :)

I know you don’t do this for praise, but I just have to say that ya’ll have beautiful hearts and are amazing parents. Your children nor the people you fed will forget that day.

Every blog Ive gone to today has mentioned the chick a fil. What is that? Im in NYC and no chick a fil no sweet tea whatever that is. Im lost. But it was a very nice thing your husband did.

That is really a wonderful, wonderful thing your family did. There but for the grace of God go I. A very important lesson to teach your children and you guys are doing a great job!

What I liked most about this is you did not hand over money! You took a basic human need and filled it. That was much better than giving them a couple dollars. And like the others, I love that you lead by example.

Kids don’t care how much you know, they want to know how much you care! I love living by that saying.

Seriously, I thought you were offended that I asked for your soup recipe (since your post was so spiritual and all, why would I mention THE SOUP?). I was thinking, boy, I am THAT MOM! :) Thank you, thank you for the recipe! My husband will love this–he's so "meat & potatoes."

Blessings,
    Cindy

This is great! I think it is so important to model Christ’s love to others. My husband takes a group to Baltimore once a month to deliver lunches to homeless. The other day my son asked, “Dad what happens when you don’t give out lunches?” My husband replied that some days other groups take food in. My son says, “Yea… I thought God would provide for them.”