The First Nativity

I love nativity scenes.
Mine sits on my entry table as a welcome into my home and as a statement that I hope trumps all my other decor.
I love looking at Mary- looking at her baby. I love the protective stance Joseph holds over his son.
I love the warm colors and the simplicity.
The elegance.
But the more I stared and contemplated this pretty scene this season, I realized something is missing.
The reality.
Can you imagine being a young girl of 15 or 16, escaped from the comforts of home with a full belly and a child you didn’t expect?  On a donkey.
Can you imagine giving birth in a foul, smelly barn and being thankful you found a food trough to place your newborn son in? The good man she married, but didn’t know yet, delivered her son to an audience of cows and sheep.
The hay is blood-stained. The air is musty.  The dirty animals are noisy.
There are no knitted booties or helpful nurses. There isn’t a bath or even a bed.
And there certainly aren’t clean, pastel flowing garments….
But there is peace.
There is hope.
There is worship.
There is a Savior.
And that is enough.

Happy Birthday, Jesus!

Enjoy this beautiful time reveling in Him.

I will be hiding my bathroom scale in a dark corner of the house, feasting at The Farm and watching my kids discover the glory of Jesus and the thrill of Santa.
I’ll peek my head in here and resume around New Year’s, unless something really funny happens. Which is entirely possible.  Thank you for being a part of my world. It wouldn’t be the same without you. Merry Christmas!
Food for the Soul:
“But after he had considered this, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream and said, “Joseph son of David, do not be afraid to take Mary home as your wife, because what is conceived in her is from the Holy Spirit. She will give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name Jesus, because he will save his people from their sins.”- Matthew 1:20-21

Comments

Merry Christmas!

Something funny huh? Like breaking my wrist just a week before Christmas, homemade presents not made, no baking done, no gifts wrapped and two tods (3, 2) asking mommy why weren’t you more careful?

Have a great time w/ the family!

Merry Christmas, I thank you for making my day a little brighter, my soul a little more calm, my heart a little lighter. Thank you for coming into my life and reminding me how blessed I am, how good God is, and what the goal in life should always be. Thank you for taking the time to introduce me to your family and new friends. I will look forward to seeing you again after the new year with your funny events over the holiday break! Take care, be safe and may God bless you for your loving spirit!

Merry, merry Christmas, Kristen – and many blessings in 2009! I hope you have a wonderful time celebrating our Savior’s birth with your family.

Nicole says

Merry Christmas to you and yours!

Thank you so much for sharing your life, humor, and insight with the world all year long.

Well said.

We attended The Glory of Christmas at the Crystal Cathedral. And my youngest said “how did they get any baby bottles and diapers?”…..I had a lot of explaining to do on the ride home.

Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Thanks ou for the lovely reminder…it was really touching. I really want to keep Him the focus the next couple of days. Can’t wait to hear about your holidays!
    Merry Christmas!

I love to remember it this way. The dirty reality of it. Which is why I loved that movie The Christmas Story. It’s not all wrapped up in ribbons and bows. It shows how the Savior came so humbly into our world and God chose the shepherds to send the angel to. Not kings.

And I keep my nativity up all year :)

I have seen a million nativity scenes in my life, I’m sure but I never thought of it the way you described it. I will NEVER feel the same way about it again. Thank you! That was BEAUTIFUL.