The Letter

Today is my 14th wedding anniversary.

And guess what I got from my hubby?
A letter.

And it came in this:
When I saw my name engraved on the box, I burst into tears.
I knew my hubby had been reading Letters from Dad, a book that encourages and teaches fathers the importance of writing letters and leaving a legacy for their children thru the written word.
The author encourages fathers to start the tradition by first, writing a letter to their wife.
And unbeknownst to me, that’s what my hubby has been doing by the moonlight on his laptop.
(Work, ha!)
I love words. I love writing. I love letters.
And my new box with it’s precious content moved me deeply. (And it will contain all future letters!)

My Kristen,

There is something distinctly you that resonates deep within my soul.  It is your character.  Your confidence.  Your purity.

My distant memories of you at Southwestern ring true to your soft, strong personality.  You were like no one else.  Your confident, quiet stare screamed purpose, conviction and integrity.  Many of the people we brushed shoulders with, both male and female, were less than genuine in both their interpersonal behavior and their walk with Christ.  It was like the difference between Diet Coke and the real thing.  Five minutes wasted with one of these individuals quickly revealed emptiness.

You, however,…what a breath of clean fresh oxygen.  The hours spent playing cards, driving to church, and sitting on the porch swing at Collins Hall seemed like mere minutes.  There was something about you that drew me to you.  Before I knew that I loved you, my soul loved you.

You were my princess!

Foolish immaturity allowed you to slip through my grasp.  It’s dumbfounding, my inability to see the treasure that was standing before me.  Thankfully, providence could not be denied.

I remember the moment I realized I was deeply in love with you.  We weren’t seeing each other.  We had never kissed.  It was a night in early June of 1994 and I left a message on your answering machine.  My heart was pounding so hard, I could barely leave a message to tell you that I was thinking of you.  (Really, I was longing for you.)  My deepest fantasy was that you too were in love with me.  How could I have ever known that this fantasy would come to life?

On December 17, 1994, I married my best friend.  True to character you presented yourself to me, a spotless bride.

Though the past fourteen years have shaped and molded the both of us, the core of who you were then is still intact today.  Your pristine beauty, integrity, and pure love are the qualities that are infused within me.

Outstanding Mother

Purposeful Homemaker

Servant of God

Constant Companion

Faithful Friend

Kindred Spirit

Beautiful Soul

Proverbs 31:28-29  says this about you,

Her children arise and call her blessed;   her husband also, and he praises her:

“Many women do noble things, but you surpass them all.”

You are woven and intertwined in the deepest parts of my flesh, mind, spirit, and soul.  To breathe, is to love you.

Happy Fourteenth Anniversary

And this is the letter I wrote to him: (I might add, it pales in comparison)
Dear Hubby,
Fourteen years ago we walked down the aisle of an ugly church (I never got over the burnt orange pews).
We were young. Nervous. Naive and crazy enough to get married on my Christmas break from teaching the first grade.
Two days before my 22nd birthday.
You were a Youth Pastor. Remember when we drove off in my highly-decorated and oh-so-offensive car?
I can still remember the look on the Pastor’s face with the condoms dangling from the muffler.
My brother had quite the sense of humor.
Ahem.
And I still feel bad about the piles of birdseed we dumped from our underwear in the restrooms of Dairy Queen.
But this is our week.
Our busy, crazy, expensive week.
Who knew 2 out of 3 children would also be born during the hectic holiday season?
This is a busy week for us, but I wanted to pause and tell you that if I could change anything, I wouldn’t.
Not a thing.
Because even though we’ve faced some tough challenges, we are in this place today because of those difficulties.

And though these are trite words, I’ve never meant them more than I do today.
I love you. Happy Anniversary.
Don’t plan anything for Friday night, I’ve found a new unsuspecting babysitter.
And, I found 14 more images of me giving you that look loaded on my Mac this morning.
I thought I’d include it in your letter.  Because you know what it means.

Let’s put the camera away, k?
The end.

Visit The Glamorous Life to be a part of blog proposal history!

Comments

That is the most touching post you have ever done. I have tears in my eyes as I see you reading that letter. I feel your heart beating faster and the lump in your throat build up. I don’t know you, but I do know you, and I know that the lette he wrote will mean more to you than any diamond, or silver he could have bought. What a gem you have in him and he in you. What an example to your children you both are. What a Christ like example to us you all are. Thank you for sharing that with the world. You once again truly touched my heart and I thank you!
    Love and hugs to you and your family.

Heather says

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!! Your Husband is a PRINCE! I know you’ll treasure that letter FOREVER!!
    We just celebrated our 13th in September. And funny thing is, I believe my Hubby has gotten a few of THOSE looks, too!! ;)
    Congratulations! I wish you many, many more years together.

That is so romantic! I love the box you got and the treasure it held. It’s true that not many people write letters anymore. That’s what makes it extra special. Happy Anniversary!!!

I’m going to put that book on my husband’s pillow tonight! What an amazing gift. I’d love for my dad to do it as well… Have fun on your date!

Happy Anniversary!!!

What a wonderful gift!

It looks and sounds like a great book. I tried to order one for my husband, but they don’t ship APO. Guess we’ll have to wait until we’re in the states.

Awww, that is so awesome! What a joy to have such a wonderful relationship with your DH. Really, I’m so inspired that there are couples like that out there!

I wonder if my husband would read it if I got it for him… Hmm….

~Angela :-)

Happy Anniversary!
    I almost felt like I was reading something too personal with his letter..
    then I read yours.. and giggled a bit!
    Ya’ll must have a wonderful good time together!
    this was our 14th anniversary too ;-) (Oct)

How beautiful! I wasn’t sure that the Southwestern mention in your letter was SAGU but I realized it when Collins was mentioned. I didn’t attend SAGU but I worked at the college when my hubby and I were engaged and the church we attended was a big supporter. Small world!

That was just perfect ! Congratulations on 14 yrs. of becoming that family;)
    We will also be married 14 yrs. Dec. 25th, and I think the ugliness of our church could give your orange a reprive.
    Merry Christmas, Holly

Happy Anniversary! That was just AWESOME! I mean REALLY AWESOME!!

Here’s to many many more happy years together!!

~Tidymom

PS- oh, I tagged you on my blog, if you have time.

Happy Anniversary!!

What beautiful, beautiful letters – both of them. You inspired me enough to click directly over to Amazon to order “Letters from Dad” for my Hubby.

Thank you.

The box is so beautiful…but not as beautiful as the words inside, and definitely not as beautiful as the love that inspired the words.

What a treasure you both have found in each other. It really is refreshing. Lovely post Kristen

Happy Anniversary you two! Enjoy your date you soooo deserve it considering the past few weeks. and I sooooooooooo ordered the Letters From Dad book!! Hubby did a video one time sharing his heart for each of us but I think the letter idea is beautiful!! Cant wait to give it to him. Oh and I LOVE your look! It so cracks me up!

Oh and another thing after reading his letter to you- your son is SOOO much like his father! He is so romantic – I will never forget the first day I meet him (he was 2-your son not hubby hee hee) he walked up to me and asked “can I kiss you?” too cute! He’s going to be a little Romeo and the girls are gonna go gaga over him!

Lovely! Whilte I haven’t written or received a letter to or from my husband, I did receive a letter from my sweet Mom, several years after she died. My mother wrote a letter to my soon to be mother in law before hubs and I married. In it she thanked my MIL for raising a God fearing, respectful, sweet son. In the course of moving, MIL came across the letter, and sent it on to me, knowing what it would mean since I no longer had my own Mom and Dad. Letter writing is a lost art that we need to revive!

Happy Anniversary! I loved reading your letters. His made me cry. Yours had me laughing out loud. I tried to get Greg to read this post, but he wouldn’t. Said that these letters are private. I said, “She posted them. They aren’t private anymore.” I think he just doesn’t want to write a letter of his own!

can someone pass a tissue please. I’ve got tears (and mucus in my nose – pardon the overshare) reading this. Way too sweet – yes, both letters. Thanks you so much for sharing.

Liza

OH.MY.GOODNESS!
    What a beautiful man you are fortunate to have! What a beautiful letter that he blessed you with. I am sitting here in tears of joy for you on your anniversary day. What a precious gift he has given – your letter to him is just as beautiful. I, too, would like nothing better than to have my husband pour out his heart in a letter – if only our men understood that it takes so little to make us blissfully happy – just to know their heart!
    Thank you so much for sharing your story with us. I am thinking about checking out the book for my husband too!
    Thanks also for stopping by and leaving a sweet comment on my blog.
    Blessings to you and Happy Anniversary!
    Kymber

what an awesome letter. stumbled over here from boomamas tour of homes. WOW!! what a man… my 10yr anniversary is coming up in january. maybe i should get him this for christmas!!

His letter is beautiful and touching. This is one of your first posts that I have read and I feel like I know you so well already! Congratulations on your wedding anniversary.

You must be one of the luckiest women I know. Your husband is a true gentleman and his letter is absolutely beautiful. All the best for many, many more years to come.

You sound like a wonderful match. And you definitely carry the sense of humor gene for the family!

Lovely, thank you. : )

– Laurie @ Foolery

Wow, it sounds like the two of you share something pretty incredible. Thank you SO much for being a part of what will surely be one of the most memorable days of my life.

I’m dumbstruck, discombobulated and incredibly happy.

Thanks for your whole hard work on this site. Kim take interest in making time for research and it’s easy to see why. A lot of people know all relating to the powerful tactic you make advantageous guidelines via your web blog and as well improve contribution from others about this theme plus our own daughter is truly starting to learn so much. Take advantage of the rest of the year. You are doing a wonderful job.