Who Needs a Comfort Zone: Blissdom

I did it, y’all!

I packed my bags, boarded a tiny airplane (about the size of a Hot Wheels vehicle), steered clear of engine-loving geese and landed in Nashville for Blissdom.

My comfort zone was but a memory.
Now, I’ll be the first to tell you, it was hard.

And probably one of the most difficult social situations I’ve endured.
And I had some awkward moments, like having to stop for band-aids before I even registered for the conference and then having to return for my wallet.

Um, yeah. I carry all that class with me.

It’s a heavy burden.

But I was determined not to be THAT family among 300 bloggers.

I’ll admit that immediately after I walked into the conference, I turned around and dashed back to my room where I gave myself an excellent pep talk.

I’m glad I did because I learned so much. My brain is completely full. I can only mumble short sentences now. I’m really hoping that wears off soon.
Even more amazing than all the blogging info, was meeting so many other bloggers.
It was the highlight of Blissdom (well, besides the kiddie portion of chocolate chip pancakes I ordered from Room Service).
One word describes the experience: surreal.
There were a few rock star moments. I took this picture for my son, who thinks Rocks in My Dryer is a real rock star:

I respect Shannon so much and I see her as a mentor. And let me tell y’all, she is more lovely in person than on her amazing blog! So, yes, son, she is a real star!
I met dozens and dozens of others (I wish I had time to link to you all, but I’m afraid I’d leave some out).

It was very humbling when other bloggers sought me out and said they wanted to meet me because they saw me as their mentor.

Oh. My. Nothing makes you want to blog your best more than that. It was fabulous to chat with some of my readers and put names with faces.

Blissdom was a classy, fast-paced, well-planned blogging conference with awesome hosts. I was very impressed and hope to meet you the next time I leave my comfort zone!

Will you be there?
I feel like I grew as a blogger and as a person this weekend. Stretching to a point of discomfort is hard, but it’s good.

Plus, I only peed my pants once.

So, if there’s something you’ve always wanted to do, (attend a blogging conference, start a blog, write a book, parachute from a plane) give it a try! Except for the parachuting thing. Think that one through.
Because really, who needs a comfort zone?

Comments

umm, what room were you in? I think I might have been your neighbor. And if I’d had any idea you were nervous we could have given each other pep talks. And maybe held hands.

Sounds like it was a great weekend!! Maybe if I can gather the courage to go next time, you can give ME that same pep talk you gave yourself. :-)

It sounds so great! I would have loved to be there but I wasn’t able to. Now I really feel like I missed out. I have been following all of your tweets all weekend long. I feel like I missed the party of the year. :)

Glad you had a good time, conquered your comfort zone, met other bloggers and looked so cute each time you shared a picture!!!

BTW .. where DID you get that black dress? Cute!

Perhaps next year, I will go .. who knows …

K,

You are so darlin’ and having you there made it that much more special.

You are a genuine and adorable woman and you inspire others in your own right!

YAY you! I am so happy that you stepped out of your comfort zone and showed up because you are a gem.

:-)Rachel/A Southern Fairytale/Monkeys and Princesses (LOL)

YOU FRIEND WERE AMONG FRIENDS, ALWAYS A COMFORT ZONE. SO GLAD YOU WERE ABLE TO ATTEND, AND BRING HOME SO MANY BLESSINGS. THANK YOU FOR SHARING WITH US WHO STAYED BEHIND, AND JUST THOUGHT OF ALL OF YOU AND THE FUN, FRIENDSHIP, AND BLOGGING BLISS THAT WAS GOING ON. I SO LOVE YOUR BLOG AND AM GLAD TO KNOW YOU.

I’M GOING NEXT BLISSDOM FOR SURE!
    LETS ROOM TOGETHER!

HUGS FROM MAINE

Glad you had a great time! I was sad we didn’t get to meet. I spent half of the conference in the hall with my baby and skipped a lot of the social stuff cause I was sick…but I still feel crammed with info. :)

We are all so glad you came…you are a sweetheart!!!!!! I regret now getting to spend more time with you. The Nester, Emily and I said we wished we would have snagged you during the weekend. :) So fun to put a sweet spirit with the face. And if it matters…I was that family. We got there Thursday night and had dinner in the restaurant. I spilled the ENTIRE thing of coffee creamer all over the side of the table, down onto the seat, but you know were most of it landed? In my cute, pink leather purse…yep, inside. You can dress me up…just don’t take me out. :)

You inspire me to give it a try……first I have to convince the hubby that I need to go…..some how that may be my biggest hurddle!!

and look at the picture of you two!! aren’t you guys just tooo cute!! and I LOVE your outfit!!

~TidyMom

Meeting you was one of the highlights of my weekend. I enjoyed talking to you. So glad you came, despite the nerves. These events can be tough on introverts like us, but it was definitely worth it to make so many new friends! :-)

It was so great to meet you at Blissdom, Kristen!
    I felt completely out of my comfort zone as well, and my head is exploding with new info, too!

Love your blog!

So nice to meet you this weekend! I really wanted to have time to TALK with you. Between you feeling introverted and Nester and I hiding and shaking in our rooms from stage fright we ran out of time! I hope NEXT TIME we can have dinner together!

blessings,
    Melissa

Yeee Hawwww! Im not the only one. I thought I was the only one who wanted to run {not walk} back to my car and head for home. Thank the good Lord that my sister knew me and came along. She gave me many of those pep talks. She also didnt want to take that 11 hour drive back home without some sleep. Its so good that others felt this way. Who knew that we would just be bundles of nerves and all had the same feelings inside. My only regrets was not picking your awesome brain and getting to know you better. Just wait till next year and we leave those jitters behind and pack those bandaids in our wallets and bring plenty of panties,hehe. My sister feels her day is complete when she can make me tee myself. I know..we are that family too~ Till next year!

Yay! I’m glad you had such a good time. I NEVER would have guessed that was so hard for you. You8 looked CUTE and self-assured.

Didn’t mean to horn in on your time with Shannon. But I AM glad to have met you both. I’m also glad the photo of you and Shannon turned out well.

I’ll be posting more about my Blissdom adventures later today.

BlueCastle says

Oh what fun! I so much want to go to the next blogging conference, but the whole money issue aside, I too, would be nervous as all get-out. I’m glad you got over that and had a great time. I think I would get all star-struck if I got to meet Shannon like that. :)

Sounds fabulous!!! I’m glad you got out of your comfort zone…I’m hoping to make the next one, and I think I’ll have all the same anxiety you did. So I’ll have to bring this post back up to remind myself that it WILL be okay!!!

I was so happy to meet another fellow CWO contributor – and would have had loved to have had more time to talk. Will you be at She Speaks? Sandy

Well you were one of my favorite peeps to meet at Blissdom. I am sooo glad you came. Next year there will be no anxiety cause it will be walking into a room full of friends :)

Look at all the new friends you made! Confession: when I learned about all the heavy hitters I would be sharing the stage with on my PR and Branding panel, I had to give myself a pep talk, Jack Donaghy-style. ;)

This post was very touching to me. I’m so glad you got to experience the joys of leaving the comfort zone. Wasn’t it a terrific weekend? I’m seriously going through withdrawal and can’t wait for next year!

Beth says

Oh my goodness…you crack me up! I just found your blog page through Rocks in the dryers. I found hers through Marie’s Make and Takes blog (Your blog was on Marie’s, too…)! What fun you must have had at the conference! It sounds like a big, crazy group of girlfriends getting together for a huge party! I wanna come! I am adding you to my list of favorites and to the list of things I can do other than clean my house, change my daughters diapers, make the kids lunch, etc. etc. etc.!!! What fun!

I so enjoyed meeting you and sitting beside you for a while at the front table! :) I feel the same way about it–like I really not only learned but grew as well. So glad I went–and so glad you did too!

Hi I just found your blog and have been enjoying reading through all your posts. I love the ‘about’ section. It sounds like me – only I was a tad younger!!
    Can’t wait to keep reading!
    Blessings
    Narelle from Australia

It was SO great meeting you over dinner. You have a lot of great ideas and I wish you the best with your books. Hope to see you at Blissdom10!

freefun0616 says