The Best Idea I’ve Ever Had

We declared a day this week BUBBLEMANIA.
I found a recipe for homemade bubbles and cut the centers out of fly swatters, collected our hula hoops from the garage and pulled out the plastic pool.
The bubbles were so good, we didn’t even need a wand!

Giant Bubble Recipe:
A bottle of Joy (or whatever dish soap you have)
Corn Syrup
Water
Mix.
I make bubbles like I cook, so for those who need precise measurements, I don’t have them.
I filled up the plastic swimming pool about a 1/3 of the way full and emptied these bottles (If in doubt, start with less water) I just kept adding and trying the bubbles out:

After a couple of hours, my big kids turned wrinkly and wanted to take showers.
My 2 year old was just getting started:
Did you really think she’d keep her swimsuit on?

Comments

I made some bubbles like that recently and they were sticky b/c of the corn syrup. Your deck will need a good hosing down once the bubble mania is over!

They do make the BEST bubbles though! The mess is WORTH it!!!!

I'm so glad you posted this! My 3 year old son takes his swimming trunks off every time he gets into the pool. He says he doesn't like his pants to be wet. If I turn my back for even a second to pull a weed out of the garden…the pants are off and he's running through the yard…(sigh…smile.)

My K5'er had "beach day" during the last week of school and her teacher made the bubble with this recipe. They are great. I think we might steal your idea for "bubble day" for ourselves. My kids would love it!

Fun, fun!!! LOVE the hula hoops…and yes, I am one of those who needs exact measurements! ;) I was feeling a little panicky reading your recipe. :) (Maybe I need therapy!) I'm going to be brave and try it next week, though.

5. Nicole says

THAT is downright awesome!!! What a fun mom! I am definitely going to try this. It is going to be a long summer. :)

Do you think food coloring would work if you wanted to give the bubbles a tint? I know my wife was looking to do something like this for our daughter's 1 year birthday.

You are so much braver than I…So many saw the cute two year old in the window. I HAVE a cute two year old right now–What did I see? I saw her locked out until you could catch your breath and minimize the mess brought indoors :)

brilliant! love it! i will file this away for late summer boredom. it would be a great playdate if the other moms were in on it.

my kids won't keep their suits on either. deep sigh.

Awesome! You're such a cool mom. And I thought my "cute pig cookies" were neat… (yep, there's a story behind those cookies in a recent post!) Thanks for passing on this idea.

Have a great day!

Here's an exact homemade recipe from a mommy friend. I'm going to try it in the near future.

Large Recipe
    1.Dissolve 3 Tbsp sugar into 3 3/4 cups warm water slowly.

2.Then add one 15 oz bottle Tear Free Baby Shampoo. Stir gently.

Sugar makes the bubbles last longer and yes Josh you can add food coloring for fun if you like.

Smaller recipe:

1. Dissolve 2 Tbsp. sugar into 2 cups warm water.

2. Slowly add 1 cup tear free baby shampoo. Stir well but gently.

I want to experiment with homemade wands as well.

What a cute post. Loved the pics and thanks for the recipe. On second thought I don't think I want to have to hose down everything so I will let my daughter do the bubble things.

13. Beth S. says

F-U-N-N-Y!!!! Those huge hula hoop bubbles are so awesome…my kids would LOVE it! Might have to give this a try sometime! You sure know how to make wonderful memories for your kids!

I had a lot of catch up reading to do, and wow! The bubbles. Thanks for the recipe!! Look like amazing fun. The table looks grand. Room time? Totally trying that one. And MRI? You should have totally asked about that one! Having had 3 separate ones over the last 5 years- I would have warned you to get a sedative. Or ask for an open MRI which is better. They are not in anyway, fun- in the least. And if you have one after a surgery- you have to have dye input in your viens so they can see better. Fun times. You poor thing! I had back surgery when Grayce was just 15 month for a ruptured disc. Back pain is the worst!

To answer a few questions….
    I think adding food color would be fine and fun! We didn't have any problems with bees and it wasn't nearly as sticky as I thought it would be!

16. freefun0616 says

17. elisabeth rittenbacher says

Hi! Wonderful idea! What can I us instead of corn sirup? I dont know this sirup and I guess it is not available in austria. Nice greetings from Vienna! :-)