DIYP-ReCreating a Patio Table

We love being in our backyard.
I use it like an extra room in our house, nearly year round. It’s like a giant playroom.
Only it has more ants.
I bought our patio table and chairs at WalMart several years ago when they marked down the leftovers. I got a fantastic deal on the set (75%) off, even though a glass table wasn’t my preference, it has served us well.
Unfortunately, the metal edging has rusted. Our budget mocked me when I hinted at a new table.
I asked my hubby if we could just replace the glass with wood. He had an even easier/better/cheaper idea!

Before

After
He built a wooden table top to put over the glass!

It was pretty easy and only cost $50!

He even cut a hole for my clearance umbrella!

I like the way it looked unfinished, but knew the weather wouldn’t be kind to it.

I used the leftover black enamel paint from this project and this one! (I really got my money’s worth on those two gallons!)

The table is actually bigger and better than I expected it to be!

Now, I’m ready for a garden party! Check out Thrifty Decor Chick to see more!

Comments

Oh, that looks so GOOD!!
    You know what I love most? The fact that your hubby screwed the screws all in a neat little row. That says a lot about him. Either he really cares about straight lines, or he knew YOU'D care and would have to look at it so he did it that way for YOU.
    (You don't wanna know what it would look like if MY hubby did it!!)

Kristen? Did you say your hubby works? For YOU or someone else? Can you send him over here?Kidding, kidding .. he is ALWAYS doing a great job for you! You should be sooo proud!

This LOOKS marvelous!

BTW .. are ya'll DIYing most weekends of the year? Or do you plan out what needs to be done?

To answer your question…..Wifeof1Momof4

We both enjoy DIY projects and usually tackle them on the weekend. It's a hobby for us. But it originated from all the fixer-upper houses we've lived in. Now, it's more for fun and saving money!

Sometimes we plan the projects out ahead of time and sometimes we just see something on sale and go for it!

Very cute table… I would love something that looked that nice. The bubble idea is awesome too… will definately have to try that.

5. Mrs. Querido says

Your hubby is so clever! Creative husbands are such a blessing aren't they? :)

Awesome redo!

And I had to laugh (quietly as everyone else is sleeping right now) out loud about the ant thing. We are battling sugar ants right now. We go to war with them every year, however this year they seem more concentrated in their battle array. Baby powder seems to be foiling their little strategies though. And it makes the room smell great too!

The table looks great. What a great idea to just cover the top… Who'd a thunk.

I know what you mean about the back yard…I'm pretty sure I would have been committed a long time ago if we didn't have a fenced in back yard where I can just send the kids to run off the ants in their pants.

Great job!

That looks great! I think I will have to scout around in a few months for some clearance buys on outdoor furniture and get back to yard sales…hard to do with baby in tow.

Very nice! Bigger table is always better with kids I think. My sister topped hers with linoleum floor tiles that look like slate – it's very cool and was an easy peel and stick. Now if only I had a table to redo!

This is a great idea! I have been wanting a patio table and discouraged by the prices, but now I'll be keeping an eye out for old "fixer-uppers" around the neighborhood! Thanks for sharing.

what a sweet table! I really like- my parents lost their glass top in a bad storm last Sept- Im going to suggest this to my dad….Thanks!

It looks terrific, and SO classy. My husband made a wooden table top for the table frame I found out in someone's yard/street for trash day. The table weighs now about 150#, and no wind storm could knock it over – lol, he has good intentions – but sometimes the results aren't quite what I expected. Ever a lesson to be grateful for all things. ;-)

Wow looks great!! I have thought about doing that many times (thought is the key word:) to our indoor kitchen table, as it is too small even with the leaf in it. It IS a inexpensive way to lengthen the table. Yours turned out great!!

I Love what you did with the table. Did you try this for your ants? I am waiting for my daughter to try this, she got the stuff but hasn't put it out yet.

Get Rid of Ants: Put small piles of cornmeal where you see ants. They eat it, take it "home," can't digest it so it kills them. It may take a week or so, especially if it rains, but it works and you don't have the worry about pets or small children being harmed!

Wow what an awesome redo. You and your husband are very talented. I cant wait to own a home to do wonderful DIY projects just like this one.

That is freakin' brilliant!!! Sorry. Didn't mean to pseudo-swear. I just couldn't help myself.

I could do that to my kitchen table to make it bigger and kind of farmhousey. Love it!!!!

Kimba

16. Anonymous says

Our glass top broke about a year ago and I couldn't bring myself to buy an entire new set. So we have a frame and chairs outside – SUPER GHETTO! LOL This was the fix I have been waiting to find. Thank you for the inspiration!!!

17. Anonymous says