DIYP-Custom Monogramed Burlap Pillows

This is by far my favorite handmade gift this season and I’m just getting started!  I’m making a ton of these and if you are related to me, there may be some burlap in your future.
I’ve only bought burlap once. It’s a long story, but it involves me, a children’s Christmas program and an ornery 5 year old dressed up like a camel.  So, you could say I’ve been a little slow to the whole use-burlap-in-your-home-decor-fad.
Until now.
My friend Karen and I made these right before Thanksgiving:
Love it.
So, here’s what I came up with:
Supplies: Freezer paper (you can read how to use it here)
Paint
Burlap -any fabric store (even Wal Mart)
X-acto knife
Pillow stuffing
Sewing machine
In 6 easy steps, here we go:
  • Print out a letter (For the “C” pillow above, I used the Edwardian Script font and sized it at 400 in a Word document), lay freezer paper of the letter, cut it out with an X-acto (this is definitely the hardest part).
  • Place the freezer paper stencil over the burlap square (all my pillows are different sizes, burlap is so forgiving) and make sure you put something under the burlap because the paint will bleed through.
  • Iron the paper onto the burlap (freezer paper lightly sticks waxy side down)
  • Paint the letter. After it dries, peel off the freezer paper.
  • Sew the pillow pieces together, leaving room to stuff and about a 1″ hem.
  • Fray the edges (the 1″ you left from the seam). This is the fun part. Just pull the threads and they unravel in a most becoming frayed edge!

So. Easy.
Nice gift, eh?

I’m linking up to Just a Girl‘s “I can make that Party” and Kimba’s DIY day!

Comments

OH girl- you must have like ESPN or something! I want a burlap table runner with a european look- you have inspired me and now I know how to get what I want on there!

Thanks Laura for reminding me about ironing the freezer paper (got in a hurry!)

For the cheesecloth rosette, I just twisted and then glued it with fabric glue.

I'm working on another project with the rosettes, so maybe I can post that and show you exactly how I did it.

Great idea! Thank you so much for sharing. I remember getting our feed from the grain supply, when I was younger, and it always came in burlap bags… Pop corn as well. I could sure use a few of those now!

Love it!!
    You can just iron on another piece of freezer paper
    to the back side of each piece too to keep it from bleeding
    through.
    Also, those of us gals who scrapbook and have personal die cut machines, like the Cricut can put the paper into the machine and cut their stencils out that way.
    The possibilities are endless!!
    Thanks for the inspiration!

Love it!!
    You can just iron on another piece of freezer paper
    to the back side of each piece too to keep it from bleeding
    through.
    The possibilities are endless!!
    Thanks for the inspiration!

Love it! Monograms and burlap, kinda like peanut butter and chocolate! okay, maybe not… :)
    I've never tried feezer paper for stencils, I usually use regular printer paper, but I like the idea of it sticking a little!

7. Ashley M says

I love the idea! It's very neat & would be a great gift! Okay, I'm not very crafty, so this may be a silly question but… what kind of paint are you supposed to use? Does it have to be a special fabric kind? Thanks & anyone who knows can respond — please.. =oD