DIYP-Easy Gift for Kids to Make

I like for my kids to give each other gifts they can make themselves. Since I’m their employer and I don’t pay well (it’s all about Benefits around here), I provide the supplies and they provide the labor.
But don’t turn me in, k?
Their baby sister is turning 3 in a few days. And since I found a Dora the Explorer (try to read that without singing the theme song, I dare you) large fleece scrap at WalMart, we decided a lap blanket would be a perfect gift.
Especially since my baby could also be known as Linus and because we lost (for good this time) her blankie somewhere between here and Louisiana.
This is such a fun, easy gift and it brought my big kids so much satisfaction to make a blanket for their sister’s birthday.
Double your fleece and lay it out (you can buy two different patterns, one for each side, but we just doubled and cut). Cut the fold, so you have 2 pieces the same size:

Cut even fringe strips around all four sides of both pieces of fleece. I cut about a two inch strip, about an inch in width. (I did a few to get my daughter started on cutting the rest). The great thing is it really doesn’t have to be perfect).
Next, tie the pieces together into a knot from the top/bottom fringe strips.

With the leftover fleece, they made a small pillow too. (Same instructions, only leave a few ties open to stuff with fill and then tie closed).
My kids are already asking when they can make another one!
Have you tried making fleece blankets?

Comments

Love fleece blankies (we have a Linus too!). My biggest hint is to use a cd case as a template to cut the 4 corners out…then run tape from corner of the cut out to the next corner cut out (confused?). Basically you're using the tape as a guide for how deep you'll cut the fringe (like framing the blanket from the fringe). Once you're done just take of the tape…Works like a charm if you can figure out my jumbly instructions!

I made one of these as a baby gift, and had enough left over to make a baby blanket for the big sister. If you have a large enough space to lay out the fleece (and I don't recommend the floor…) it's a great project!

I have made no-sew fleece blankets for 2 of my boys, and I/they love them. Oh so warm and soft!! I have to say, though…I never even thought about making pillows!!!!!!!!! How silly of me:) Adding it to my list of upcoming craft ideas!!

4. Anonymous says

Friend and I are making a larger version of these for our HS sons– in school colors, of course. Football and baseball games can be pretty chilly up North– these will be perfect ( and the perfect gifts from moms who don't sew!)

I have started on one but never finished it. I am famous for stuff like that. I wanted to make one for my father in law one year for the holidays but saw he had a few so we never got around to that. Maybe one of these days it will happen.

Last year as a family we made a goal to make one fleece blanket a month (I used my fabric store coupons to buy the fleece) and then donate them to a homeless Christmas party that a family in our neighborhood sponsers. I called her in January and asked if there was anything they always ran out of. She said they never had enough blankets. Between our own family goal and a couple other service projects, we donated 17 blankets.

I have made fleece blankets before, but not as easily as you have, what a great idea. I put blanket ribbon around the edges, too much hard work, I like the fringe idea. :)

We are making one of these for my Grandma, who is living with my parents. She's always cold and so it's about 80 in their house all the time. The Dora fleece is so cute. Great idea.

AWESOME idea!!! Thanks for blogging about it. . .I think that will be our weekend project — no kidding! We are doing family baskets this year for gifts and this would be a *perfect* filler.

That's an awesome idea! I've seen the blankets but what a great way to let kids take ownership of the gifts they give each other. I would love to find out if [and if so, what] they are making presents for each other or for their dad :)

I made these for nieces and nephews one year and got requests for more. Since I don't sew, these were perfect for me to make! Instead of using scissors to cut the fringe (man, my hand hurt after only cutting one side!), I used a rotary cutter and put a self-healing mat beneath it. I had to move the mat around as I cut, but no more sore hands! And it was much, much faster than scissors too.

I have made blankets, pillows, scarfs, snow hats, mittens etc.
    My favorite was a quillow. Blanket folds in to it's own storage pocket. You can put your feet in the pillow pocket when you're covered in the comfy fleece. Only sewing needed was to sew the pocket on. Check out the web for all instructions. GMA

I have made blankets, pillows, scarfs, snow hats, mittens etc.

I have made blankets, pillows, scarfs, snow hats, mittens etc.

We make these for new babies in the family. Some of those babies are now 8 years old and still use them every night – even in the summer. Gotta love the fleece blankets!

Im making some for my 4 boys this Christmas. LARGE ones! I searched for their fav teams and put solid colors on the back. hope they love them!

Great idea to give homemade gifts! I give gifts but have resorted to buying them (shhh! don't tell the clutter police!!)
    Thanks for inspiring me to try homemade gifts next year! =)