I’m Going to…..

Two years ago something amazing happened that changed my life.

I was brand new to the blog world and discovered a community of bloggers, like Rocks in My Dryer and Boo Mama. They were both talking about going to Africa with Compassion International and blogging their trip.
It was during that week on their amazing journey, that we welcomed our first Compassion child, Bereket from Ehthiopia, into our hearts. I’ll never forget explaining the work of Compassion to my children over dinner, showing them his picture.
We set out to help him. In doing so, he’s helped us. We see the needs of others more clearly now because of that boy.
We chose Ethiopia because we knew my twin sister and her family would be bringing home a new daughter from there. She’s home and, oh my, has my heart grown for the continent of her birth. I think of her sisters, left behind, working as slaves and worse, every day. I whisper prayers over them.
And then, I discovered Kisses from Katie in Uganda. I shared my heavy, heart-burden for the unbelievable life of sacrifice this young woman leads. You helped me carry the burden and together we bought $3,200 in chickens and blankets in just 24 hours.
Just this past Christmas, under the tree, was a package with our new sponsored child, Judith from Uganda, where Katie lives. She’s ten, like my daughter and they have already written to each other.
And today, just two hours ago, I sat with my kids as they lovingly and longingly chose a third child to sponsor.
Her name is Makena, she’s 6 and she’s from Kenya. (She was chosen because a little red heart marked her Compassion picture which signified that she has been waiting for a sponsor for at least six months. My son, “Mom, no child should wait that long.”)
My heart has grown.
And now, my life is going to change forever.
It’s surreal, that two years after discovering the blog world and sponsoring our first Compassion child, and even more recently, falling in love with a strange land I’ve only seen in pictures, that I’m going….
Many details, papers, arrangements need to be made, but one thing is heavy on my heart as I type this…I need to ask, will you pray for me?
Compassion Bloggers: Kenya 2010

Comments

Oh Kristen, of course I will pray for you!! What an amazing experience you will get to have. I cannot wait to read all about it! You are such a wonderful woman!

Absolutely I will pray! Pray for you, for your travel companions and especially the children's lives you will touch while there.
    What an amazing oppertunity. I can't wait to hear all the stories when you get back.
    I'm sure this will forever change you.

I will definitely pray for you! What an amazing opportunity. I do hope that you will share with us all how your life and heart are changed from your journey. I am excited for you!

Yay! I love that bloggers I already 'know' are going to be involved in this next Compassion trip! I came to Compassion through blogging, as well, and was moved to sponsor Patricia, from El Salvador, last March. Just got a letter from her yesterday! Bless you for going, bless your family for their support, and yes, you have my prayers. I'm looking forward to reading every single thing you post about this adventure.

That is awesome! God we ask that you would give Kristen wisdom as she makes her travel plans, we pray for favor for each and every step between now and when her feet touch the ground of Kenya. We ask for traveling mercy, for health, for protection and that the love of Christ would flow from her and touch the lives of all she comes in contact with.
    You will continue to be in my prayers. Blessings!

How wonderful and exciting. We just sponsored a child from Rwanda starting this Christmas too. I wrapped up his picture, and then told my family that he is the one we will help. My ten-year-old daughter said that he was her best Christmas present. *Sniff*!

Anonymous says

Kristen.
    I read your blog and newsletter faithfully, and never comment…but, with this news I just wanted to say OF COURSE we will pray for you here in Alabama! God has opened the door for you to go…and He has great plans for this trip. Thank you for going, and sharing your journey!
    Kim

So, happy for you, knowing that the Lord gives us the desires of our heart. Praying for you and your family as you prepare for your trip and as you travel.

Absolutely! Wish I could come with you…you are the perfect person to share your heart with all those wonderful people!

I have a request…can you all pray for my Aunt and Uncle, who have just traveled to Haiti (they go every year to help a little village there build a school, and help with bringing supplies, etc.). They are very near Port au Prince, where the 7.0 earthquake has hit. We haven't heard from them yet and are praying for their safety, as well as the people of Haiti. Such a poor country, and now this. Please pray for them!

How cool to be a blessing AND be blessed at the same time!

I would count it an honor and a priviledge to join with God's people in prayer for you :}

Hugs!

You will be so blessed. I loved the mission trip I went on to Brazil. Are you joining McMama? She announced the same trip to Kenya with Compassion INternational. I adopted my first Compassion child in college. Love on those children for us and we'll be praying for you@

We will most certainly be praying for you!

When I was 12 I went to the Dominican Republic as part of a missions trip to build churches and teach VBS. The next year we sponsored a child from the area and were able to meet with him when we went back to continue our missions. It was the most amazing experience!

That child has since grown up and no longer needed sponsorship but my family continues to sponsor another little boy from the Dominican Republic because of the amazing experiences we had there.

I find myself with a huge lump in my throat and tears in my eyes. What a journey you and your family have taken and now, what a blessing as God is allowing you take this adventure. I know you and your family will forever be changed by these events.. for the better.
    I will pray for you and your family.

Oh Kristen, I am so excited for you and I can't wait to see what God is going to do and is already doing. I was SO excited to read this, SO excited! I'll definitely be praying for you. :) YEAA!! How great is our God!

"Makena" means "joy" in Kikuyu, one of the big local languages in Kenya. Praying that you will continue to experience joy as you are stretched and challenged in this experience, and looking forward to reading all about it!

Anonymous says

YES!!! It will be my extreme pleasure to pray for you as your prepare for your Compassion trip. And … tonight when I say prayers of gratitude, I will remember your sweet three. How very special they are! Destiny D.

When I was 14 my Mother, Sister and I went on a 40 day mission trip to Kenya. It was life changing. The beautiful people are still in my heart, I'd love to go back.

I'll be praying for you!

How truly exciting!! Ya know, I was just reading on MckMama's sight about her going and thought to myself, "wonder if kristen is going to go" then what do you know?! you are. What an incredible opportunity! I must say I am jealous, and excited of/for you!

Oh my, that is AWESOME, Kristin! You don't even have to ask. Of course, I will be praying for you, your family, and those beautiful families you will be helping!

I am so excited about your trip and will be praying for you. Our family just signed up to sponsor 2 children through Compassion. We are excited about seeing God work in the families of the children we sponsored as well as in our own family through our involvement with Compassion. Thanks for sharing your heart!

How amazing this will be for you! Of course we will pray for you! You will see Jesus in every single child you meet there. Anything I can do to help please let me know! I will be praying!

TAKE ME WITH YOU!!! I am dying to get over to Africa and get our little girl from Ethiopia!!! Adoption waiting is HARD! Kiss every child you see… my husband worries that when we leave for Ethiopia, I will never come back!

Kristen,
    You are SUCH an inspiration! I will pray for you every night! You are doing a wonderful, selfless thing. I am proud to say that I follow you blog!! :) I'm really excited to read what happens while you're in Kenya! You.Are.Awesome!

Nancy says

Absolutely!! I'm so excited for you! And thank you for introducing us to Katie…I'm obsessed with her blog and have been reading through every entry since she went to Uganda. AMAZING!!!

I'm so excited (and a little jealous!)for you. We also sponsor 3 children (with 3 different organizations) around the world (China, Zambia, and Dominican Republic). You know we'll be praying for you!

Shari Lancaster says

Okay, so yes, I AM pregnant & therefore emotional at times, but WOW…the comment your son made caused such a reaction in me…I'm still crying while typing this.

Thanks for this touching post. And, yes, I will pray for you.

I have tears in my eyes and heart thinking about such an amazing adventure. SO HAPPY for you!

(I was hoping you were going to Burkina Faso so you could visit MY little girl & boy!)

a

I will be praying for you!

I have a Compassion girl in Meru, Kenya that I started sponsoring when she was 5 – she's now 18!!

You will LOVE Africa! We are now living on the continent but still far from Kenya. Can't wait to follow your journey on your blog!

If I could explain to you how much reading this has touched my heart you would be crying like I am. I will pray everday for you on this adventure.

Renee Holley says

We will be praying for you on your trip. It will change your life to actually see and experience the life that your sponsored child leads. We sponsor 2 children, one of which I chose after meeting him when Robin and I went to The Dominican Republic with Mission of Mercy. (I didn't realize you and your sister were twins)
    Renee

That is wonderful! My heart is in Kenya too. My sister is a missionary there and I got to go for a visit in 2007. Your heart will break, cry, rejoice, and be warmed all at the same time!

Can I just take a second to tell you something I think you will like.
    My daughter (7) and I started a little baking business called Mom & Me Baking. Kenya has been in a terrible drought and my sister was sending us pictures of kids literally eating off of raw dead cow bones and drinking out of the same river that dead cows where laying in.
    Its obvious that you can't look at pictures like that and do nothing and my daughter wanted a way to send money to the "Africa kids" as she calls them.
    So we started our business. And we started a ministry with our business called "Kookies for Kenya". We give 25% of our profits straight to my sister that they are in turn able to use for a food bank for their community. In our first quarter ( Oct-Dec) we were able to send $200 which goes a loooong way in Kenya I can assure you.

So I commend you heart for "compassion" and pray for your trip. It will change your life. It sounds hokey to say that, but it will.

Oh, if you want to check out our little cookie website, here is the link.