Day 1: Moved With Compassion

She wore a yellow dress, cinched at the waist, with shoes too big for her feet and a smile too big for my heart.

Her three year old hand found mine and it didn’t take long for her to climb into my lap.

She was a perfect fit.

Her name is Paris and she is a child at Compassion’s Child Survival Program (more info on CSP) in one of Kenya’s 42 projects, that focuses on aiding and educating pregnant women and their unborn. We spent the day learning of this amazing project that invites expecting women into the program for the first three years of their child’s life. This program is crucial since so many children die in the first five years of life.

We were welcomed by song and native dance that left me a weeping mess. Joy and beauty mixed. (here’s a 17 second clip)

Women shared their testimonies of how Compassion teaches them prenatal care and the importance of a balanced diet, vaccinations and breastfeeding. They also learn useful skills (jewelry, soap-making) so they can make money for their families.

We then traveled (on the wrong side of the road!!) to the homes of several of these mothers, dirt roads…through a winding slum…the smells of fish, smoke and sewage filled the air. Emaciated dogs and goats peppered the roads, along with piles of trash and people.

People everywhere, some milling, some begging (and even trying to reach into the windows of our van), many as street vendors trying to sell fruit, meat covered with flies, or their handmade items.

Parking on the side of a dirt road in a congested area, we walked down a winding path to the home of one of the mother’s in the Compassion Child Survival program. Her name is Jackline.

She was so proud to welcome us into her home. It was the size of my master bathroom, with one family bed. She spoke with hope in her voice and with thankfulness to God for the work of Compassion.

She proudly showed us her skill of turning dirt and charcoal into briquettes she used to roast corn, making a profit of around .7 cents each. She usually sells 7-8 ears of corn, making less than around $.50 cents a day, but enough to make a difference for her precious family.

Today, I saw hope in a slum. I listened to her dreams of a future in the middle of unspeakable squalor. I saw Jesus.

Paris, the adorable three year old in the yellow dress was waiting when I returned to the project, with her arms outstretched. I was told that her time in CSP is nearly up, and she will be available for individual child sponsorship very soon.

She needs a sponsor. She needs you. I think of my own three year old thousands of miles away living with every luxury of an American child. The only difference in Paris and my little girl is they were born in different places. As her mother, I want the best for her. I pray for God to bless her.

Paris’ mother prays the same thing. She has the same hope for her child. She prays that someone will be moved with compassion. She prays for you.

You can make a difference today, right now. For only $38 a month, you can change a life! Please, I’m asking for the mothers I met today, will you to be the answer to their prayers?

There are twelve children who need sponsors at the CSP project we were at today. Twelve kids waiting on a mother’s prayer to be answered.

“Christ has not body on earth but yours,

no hands, but yours, no feet but yours.

Yours are the eyes through which Christ’s compassion for the world is to look out;

yours are the feet with which He is to go about doing good;

and yours are the hands with which He is to bless us now.” Saint Teresa

Click here to see the children waiting for a child sponsor.

Comments

Beautiful, moving post! I can't even see what I'm typing because my eyes are filled with tears. THANK YOU for your work and for inspiring us all to do all we can to show Christ's love.

There's something completely humbling about having African women and children sing and dance for you. I'll NEVER forget that experience. I sat and watched with tears flowing down my cheeks. I kept saying, "Who am I??" over and over. Amazing.

I still have a backpack that carries the smells of Africa, the smell of the gospel. Our family is praying for you and yours as you see and tell.

I too have a 3 y/o at home. Compassion has and is working on my heart right now as I sit in a warm room, a bottle of water on my desk and a warm bed to sleep in tonight. My heart is heavy and I sit hear and question myself. Can I afford to do this per month? I have 3 kids of my own. Is it in the budget? And my heart is saying..but you can't afford not too!!! Oh God how I wish you could bring the kids back home with you. They deserve what we have, they deserve to live a childs life.
    I continue to pray for the Compassion team and for the people of Kinya.

Love in Christ!!

I love you. God is breaking me through you. Can you bring home a houseful of little "Paris'" for me to love on?

And Jesus said, "let the little children come to me and forbid them not, for such is the kingdom of God."

T.

Great post! I am excited to read your posts this week. You are such a great story-teller and God has SO MANY stories lined up for you this week. That first picture is the smile of Jesus. Love it!

I think it so amazing what Compassion is doing to not only raise awareness but to help regular people change the world in the name of Christ.

Kristen, thank you for being brave enough to go there so we can read your words and see your experiences. I am truly inspired. You really are "keeping it real" :)

Like the other commenters on this post, I have tears streaming down my face. God has burdened my heart for Africa since I was a child.

I'm so glad that you are there…your experience is life changing – for you and for us.

Praying for you! xo

Are you going to make me cry every day? This brings back memories of my trip to Dominican Republic and the time I got to spend with our sponsored child Ana. Children are the same everywhere. They just want to be loved. Thank you for sharing your journey so beautifully.

Absolutely beautiful! This brought tears in my eyes and a lump in my throat.

I will be praying about another sponsorship. We currently sponsor a little boy in India, but there are SO many in need!

Wow, I'm sitting here with tears in my eyes reading your post and looking at the incredible pictures.
    Thank you for sharing your experience with us.

OH MY!!!! How amazing to see my own sister filled with overflowing joy! It is evident that you are EXACTLY where you should be! The light shining from your eyes is INCREDIBLE! Paris saw a glimpse of Jesus today, through you! As you continue your journey, take it all…the smells, the sights, the hugs, the overwhelming needs. We are praying for you on the home front. Love you–K

Kristen, I prayed for you this morning on my way to work.

Ugh. The luxury of my 2yo child, compared with the poverty of the children you're meeting, breaks my heart. When I think of how sad I am when my daughter can't have her OWN PLAYROOM like her cousins? Ohhhh… God's working on my heart again…

Thank you for the beautiful reflection of your time in Africa. These children are on my heart. I pray that many are touched by your words throughout this week.

I have to remember to only read these posts when I am wearing my waterproof mascara.

I have to remember that Jesus doesn't care about my mascara.

I have to remember that joy lives in the unlikeliest of places.

I have to remember that all I have comes with great responsibility to all who do not.

Thank you for the reminder.

~Lisa-Jo

Beautiful. I'm so thankful for organizations like Compassion who will provide opportunities for people to support themselves. What an amazing journey you are on.

This was beautifully written, but more than that you moved me to compassion. I sit here with tears streaming down my cheeks. My husband is coming home for lunch shortly, and I am going to talk to him about giving up cable so we can sponsor a child. I have him all picked out, too – Dhika from Indonesia. I am praying that my husband will be moved to compassion too. Thank you. We had put off sponsoring a child until next year when we had "more money" – foolish. Thank you!!

I'm so excited to continue reading about your trip. We sponsor a girl in Kenya who is almost 8 now – She was 5 when we started. I can't wait to show my kids your photos of Kenya to make things a little more "real" to them! Thanks!

I have also been following your Kenya trip through the eyes of our real-life friend, Brad Ruggles. I am hungry for your words as God has been stirring my heart violently. Thank you for sharing all that you are experiencing and giving voice to this people…I will be sponsoring a child.

Mom & Dad says

Kristen: Oh What a beautiful sight! My beautiful girl making a difference. Let jesus speak through you today and fulfill your calling. I am so blessed today. I love yo so much. Ia praying for you too. Your little ones here are in such loving hands and are so proud of you. Love, Mom

Mom & Dad says

Mom & Dad says

Tamsyn,
    Yes, you can sponsor a child from your country. From my link, you can look around and choose a child/country to sponsor. Thank you for reading.

(And I slip in here after your Mom and Dad ~this makes me all happy misty~)

You hold Jesus close in these faces, walk His streets, sit at His table…

You are on Holy Ground — strolling His beat — and His love is everywhere….

And I see Him in your smile!:)
    Know how I am with you in heart, Kristen….. I pray!

All, all my love,
    Ann

I am absolutely struck by the look on your face. That's the face of a woman who is right where she's supposed to be.

Praying for you. (WFMW went fine yesterday, BTW…)

I am crying at my computer. I have never been a mother but we have 2 compassion children and I've never looked at it that way. That a mother might have prayed for us to be a blessing to her child. I appreciate the new perspective!

Cannot express in words what is in my heart – so I'll take it to God in prayer. Give an extra hug to those children from me, Kristen!

That first paragraph — with shoes too big for her feet and a smile too big for her face — made my heart wrench and my eyes see with yours.

I was driving to MOPS this morning, listening to a little Dave Barnes, when I was overcome with the compulsion to PRAY for you and the rest of the Kenya team. Only Love can save us. All.

This is amazing. I just can not imagine what you are witnessing down there. This has to be quite the journey for you. My prayers are with these mothers and their little ones. God Bless you, Kristen for doing this.

I stumbled back to your blog from bake@350 but I'm so reminded how great God is! I retweeted someone on your trip who just met their compassion child. My husband and I look forward to meeting ours one day. We also are excited about compassion sunday in April @ church. Off to read your adoption blog post! We've got two of our own but long to add through adoption!

Kristen- this post is beautiful. Jesus is looking out at you from Paris's eyes…as you do to her (and others), you do to Him.

Thanks for telling the story.

Anonymous says

I'm a new commenter on your blog and just wanted to say that this post is so beautiful … both the writing and the intent. Thank you!!
    Tracy R.

THANK YOU so much for making this trip and telling us about it! I have a girl I sponsor in one of the projects you are going to and I am aching to hear current news of her. Last I heard, she was expecting a baby but I still don't know the outcome. Her name is Deborah Awuor Omollo and she is in KE355 (Mathare) project. She is an exceptional 16 year-old girl, full of life and hope and faith in Christ. I would love it if you would hug her and her family for me if you meet them. She has a baby sister who is about 2 and is named after Condoleezza Rice. :) I know you are hugely busy and overwhelmed with processing all that you are experiencing so I won't hold anything against you if you can't do this, but if you can… you'd make me incredibly happy. :) God bless you on your journey. Love the Kenyans for us in Jesus name! :) ` Diane Comstock, Morgan Hill, CA (PS, I'm going to try to post this on the other blogs, too, just to cover my bases. :) ) my email: dianec@iname.com

Hi Kristen,

Just wanted you to know that this post inspired me to sponsor a CSP in Kenya. Thank you for your beautiful words and pictures, sharing Kenya with those of us who aren't there to witness it firsthand.

Enjoy your Sunday! Claire