Mothering sons in our society is not easy, neither is mothering daughters.
- to respect girls (even their pesky sisters)
- to never, ever hit a girl
- to open the door for Mom, help her with groceries
- to give Mom and sisters privacy when they dress or shower
- to honor other people’s personal space
- to protect their own body from invasion
- to only go to Internet sites approved by parents
- to know their own anatomy (great talk for Dad’s)
- to say no to ANYONE (kids and adults) who wants to touch them inappropriately, play sexual games, etc
Your Boy: Raising a Godly Son in an Ungodly World by Vicki Courtney is an excellent resource for this age.
- about sex (the basics-which have changed since you were a kid)
- about their changing body
- about girls (how they flirt, think, change into young women)
- about the evilness on the Internet (pornography)
- about standing up for what’s right (in conversation w/ other boys), even if it means standing alone
- about pressure to be cool and like everyone else (they don’t have to have a cell phone or iTouch to be cool-I don’t recommend either!)
Preparing Your Son for Every Man’s Battle: Honest Conversations About Sexual Integrity is an excellent resource for this age!