WFMW: Brown Sugar Tip

I love brown sugar. I eat it for fun. Just kidding. ahem.

I hate when my brown sugar gets lumpy and turns as hard as a rock.

My mother-in-law gave me a terra cotta Brown Sugar Bear to put into my bag of brown sugar. She said it would keep it soft. I had my doubts, but it really works.

I love this little $3  bear. It really keeps brown sugar from turning hard and I just transfer it to a new bag after it’s opened.

It works for me!

Don’t forget NEXT WEEK is a themed edition of WFMW: Share a back-to-school tip! AND, three WFMW participants will win some cool back-to-school goodies!!

Comments

That is so cool! I’ve never heard of such a thing! Lol I usually just end of trying to warm mine up slowly to soften it – what a pain! I like your idea much better! ;)

My 3 year old does eat brown sugar for fun! Just the last time I let him help me bake, I went to rinse a dish and turned back around to find him dipping his hand in the brown sugar canister, licking it, and sticking it back in to get more!!! Thanks for hosting WFMW every week!

My mom has a little brown sugar bear too. And she may just be the biggest contender when it comes to a brown sugar addiction. I’ve also heard a piece of bread works too. But the little bear would be reusable of course!

Love your site!

It does work! I have a terra cotta disk and it works great in the dry air of Colorado. Once I bought waaaay too much brown sugar on sale and dealt with brown sugar “rocks” for a year and a half… Even with the terra cotta disk, it takes awhile to soften once it’s hard. :)

I’ve always heard of them, but never tried it!!……..
    Hey, I finally made my move to WP, hosting with Eleven2!!!…….that’s what my WFMW post is about this week!!
    Thanks for hosting Kristen

that’s exactly what I need! Where can I find it other than amazon? I just tried to buy one there but it charged over $9 for shipping! Three times as much as the bear – crazy! Would the grocery store carry them?

Oh poop! I should have read your post more carefully. I just linked up a “Back To School Morning Routines” post that would be perfect for next weeks theme! Oh well, I have another post titled “Back To School Evening Routine” so maybe I will link that. Great theme idea!
    Love the terra cotta idea. We have tried to give up most sugars replacing with honey and sucanat in out household, but I CAN’T IMAGINE my morning oatmeal without brown sugar melting over the top!! Not givin’ that up.. Yum!

I LOVE my brown sugar on oatmeal. When it gets hard, I heat the box up in the microwave… Voila. Soft again!

e-Mom @ Susannah’s {Kitchen}

9. Gigi says

I keep my brown sugar in the freezer. It doesn’t take long to thaw what I need and it stays fresh that way too!

• kristen says

thanks, Stephanie! I didn’t even look at shipping. I’m going to change it to the one you found. Appreciate it!

I have never seen that! I have a terra cotta disk that is used for keeping bread warm—just pop it in the oven and then once it’s warm throw it in a bread basket with your bread. Apparently terra cotta is multipurpose! :)

And ugh…I’m #7 and have a typo in my description: it’s not “family MOVE” it’s “family MOVIES”. Ah well, that’s what I get for staying up till 11 to link up! ;)

Thanks for hosting!
    a

I do the same thing with my brown sugar. Great cooks must think alike. :) I wanted to invite you to stop by my blog for my “Canning Week Blog Party” we are daily posting tips and recipes all related to canning and have some give-a-ways as well. Hope you can stop by and join in the fun!

Well, that makes brown sugar CUTE!!! :) I keep mine in a resealable bag in the fridge. When we were at my dad’s, I found his container of ROCK HARD brown sugar. Who knows how long it’s been there. Tried to put some in my tea…couldn’t even break it with a spoon. Put a piece of white bread in the container and the next day, it was soft again. That’s so weird. And the bear is cuter. I wonder if my dad would like a brown sugar bear for Christmas? ;)

I have used a terra cotta disk in my brown sugar for years…somewhere along the line, a 60-year-old uncle was over while I was doing some kitchen tasks, and he asked me, “What the heck is THAT?!” He LOVED the concept, so the next time I saw that special widower, I gave him one for his brown sugar.

I *did* wonder how much baking that guy did, but now he has a new wife who is taking really good care of him!

You can also stick a slice (or 1/2 slice) of bread in the container and it will soften the brown sugar too. I did this once for a container of brown sugar that had been in my father’s house for over a year and was a big solid rock. It worked beautifully.

• says

this is so true, my mom has this huge jar she keeps brown sugar in and she always keeps a slice of bread in it. I have been searching for one of those bears for a few years now since a friend of mine found one at a flea market.

Great tip! Thanks for the link up. I have had a lot of success with buying the REAL brown sugar – where the ingredients say “brown sugar” rather than sugar and molasses. I haven’t had any clumping since then.

Hey Kristen…these Brown Sugar Bears are a great gift idea with the holidays coming up…especially for teachers, co-workers or to have on hand when unexpected guests come by bearing gifts during the holidays. I think you will like my gift idea as well…Flora Dooras…so cute…check them out ;)
    Fondly, Roberta

17. Alison says

I put a few marshmallows in my brown sugar and it can soften it in a day. Also, I don’t have to worry about the marshmallows going bad.

HI! Due to the huge success of my Linky Love Library page, I am changing the way I organize it.

I would LOVE it if you would come and link up your party to the day of the week you host it.

It will make it easier for people to find it and will give you a thumbnail for your party. If you host

more than one party, link them ALL up :)

You can link up to the library here: http://paisleypassionslinkyparty.blogspot.com/

I enjoy your blog and your party each week, so I hope you join in and link up!

Thanks!!!

Lori @ Paisley Passions

This is a fun blog! I what a clever name! I laughed when I discovered it.

A piece of white bread will do the trick with the brown sugar too. I just change the piece every time I refill the container. I usually use the “heel” of the loaf, as no one ever wants that in our house!
    Please stop by my newest blog and let me know what you think!
    CC,