WFMW: Shower CleaningTip

When we moved into our house almost seven years ago, the shower door in the master bath was disgusting. No, really, it was just plain gross. It had a dozen years of hard water build up and you could hardly see thru it. It took awhile, but we scrubbed and scraped that puppy clean with some high-powered chemicals.

In order to keep it from happening again, I hung a squeegee on a suction cup and threatened my family: if you shower, you squeegee. With a quick swipe, the water is removed and Momma is happy. Seven years later, the door is in perfect condition (for a door that’s more than a dozen years old!), but don’t ask about the rest of my house, k?

What works for you?

You can view the WFMW guidelines here.

Comments

My mom does that!!……me, I just keep a bottle of shower clean in there, and they all spray it down when they get out!
    Thanks for hosting Kristen!

I’m laughing…b/c 4 years ago I was in your shoes. I scrubbed away at our shower door until it was squeaky clean. Then I promptly implemented the squeegee rule. It’s just one simple, preventative step that takes 1 extra minute…and make me very happy!

I’ve also got in the habit of cleaning my shower while I’m in it…I figure I can kill 2 birds with one stone, right?

Thanks for hosting.

3. Rose in Ohio (@RoseMillsOhio) says

If you aren’t vigilant like the proactive posters above, and your shower develops a case of soap scum, don’t wet the walls to clean–instead, use your no-scratch scrubber on completely dry soap scum. Dry soap scum can be scrubbed off much easier than wet, gummy soap scum that clogs up your scrubber.

But, of course, it’s much better if you prevent soap scum from forming in the first place.

Or so I’ve heard.

Great tip. My Mom and Mother in law do that and I think it’s fabulous, yet I have not actually purchased a squeegee myself.

I’ll have to get on that…finally :)

Our shower was new when we bought it and the instructions recommended putting a coat of turtle wax on the shower when it’s clean. It works great. We tried the squeegee rule for awhile, but ended up fighting about who got to take the first shower and who had to squeegee it out. (We both shower at night right after the other.) I’m now down to cleaning the shower once a month because I hate doing it so much and my hubby doesn’t care.

Oh, yeah — showers with doors are wonderful until you have to clean them. My first husband and I built a house together, that had a shower that was glassed in on THREE sides. Oh, my GOSH! I hated that thing after about 2 weeks, squeegee or not. Grr!

Thanks for hosting this! I think shower cleaning is one of my least favorite chores. I’m so impressed that your family obeys your squeege rule… My family tends not to stay on my bandwagons. :) PS ~ I recently discovered that I seriously need to maintain a chore of removing hair build~up from our shower drain…. it was umm, not a good thing to have let go. Ha! Have a great day…

I’ve been working on my shower doors for a week so this tip is timely! I still have more soap scum to go so I’ll give these suggestions a shot.

We do have the squeegee in the shower, but apparently we miss a lot of spots. Oh how I want a shower curtain instead!

We’re a squeege family too!

Another tip: spray your shower doors with undiluted distilled white vinegar before you turn the water on. The vinegar pulls off the hard water and the steam/water when you’re showering rinses it. Of course you feel like you’re showering in a pickle jar, but it works. :) (I do the vinegar thing about 1x a month.)

Great idea!
    You are invited to a big blog party over at Of Such is the Kingdom! OFSitK is turning one and we’re giving away lots of prizes!
    suchakingdom.blogspot.com

Hello, Neat post. There’s an issue with your website in web explorer,
    might test this? IE still is the marketplace chief and a big part of people will miss your magnificent writing due to this problem.