WFMW: How to Get Your Laundry Done

Hire these cute people (picture from 3 years ago):

Pay them in Room & Board.

[grin]

Seriously, though. I’m a work at home mom and as much as I’d like to say that I CAN DO IT ALL. I can’t. I need help. My kids are totally capable of helping me with laundry, I just don’t like the way they do it. But in an effort to GET OVER MYSELF, I bought 3 baskets and divide out my kids clean clothes from the dryer. They are responsible for folding, hanging and putting it away.

It’s messy, but it’s done.

Baby steps, y’all.

Having my kids share the load (heh), works for me.

*UPDATED TO ADD* Next week’s WFMW has a suggested theme: (as long as you have a tip, you’re always welcomed to link up!) Share an entertaining tip (plus there’s a sweet giveaway)!

What works for you?

Comments

I just started a new laundry routine that involves my two big boys (my three little ones are just too small to fold or hang).

While they are at school I do 3 loads of laundry.

One load goes on each boys bed. They are responsible for folding/hanging that load as one of their after school chores. They also have to put that load away no matter who the clothes belong to.

The third load is always towesl or bedding and I fold tat load ’cause… it’s the easiest. And I’ve folded and hung enough laundry to last a life time.

So far so good. Like you said, it is a little messy, but it is done. (Mating socking is also something my children handle… the dreaded socks! ugh!)

If I could get past my OCD need to have everything in perfect order (I actually hang my children’s clothes by the sleeve lengths- shirts then dresses divided), that might actually be awesome!! Oh how I wish it wouldn’t drive me nuts because I so hate doing laundry, though I enjoy matching the socks- which apparently puts me in the minority!!

I do a *little* of this with my oldest, who is 5. The little ones are both a long way from being able to do that. Someday I’m going to look back and shake my head, thinking, “How did I ever get all this done before the kids could help?” The answer is that I don’t, of course. :/

Funny that you put a tubbie time photo as that’s what my WFMW post is about this week – getting my kiddoes into and enjoying tubbie time.

I should follow your lead on getting over myself and taking some babysteps. I am suffering from a big case of “can’t do it all – fell like I can do almost nothing”. It would help.

My kids help with laundry. They each have a basket in their room. I wash their laundry separate so when it comes out I can give it to them to put away. They all know how to start a load of laundry too so if they have a night time accident they can start the load too.

Just this year my boys, who are 8 and 11, have started doing all of their own laundry from start to finish. I still make sure 8 yr. old measures the correct soap amounts, though. :) Wow, it IS a load off of me!!!!

Yes – it does help! At my house it has always been one of their chores. But as you say – you have to get over the messy aspect. I labeled their baskets – and I also color coded their towels. No arguments over who uses too many towels!

My kids do the laundry around here too. I wash all week, putting clean clothes in baskets that are overflowing by Friday, and they sort and fold and put away all kids clothes. I fold and put away linens and adult clothes. Even my 2.5 yo kind of helps.

Stefani says

Too funny! I have to admit that I take care of folding and hanging, but my kiddos put everything away once that’s done. I also employ them to get the dishwasher emptied, the recycling taken out, the dog fed, the windows cleane, and even some dusting. I’m just making sure they know how to do the stuff when they move out! Right…that’s it… ;)

Excellent beat ! I would like to apprentice at the same time as you amend
    your web site, how can i subscribe for a blog web site?
    The account helped me a applicable deal. I had been
    tiny bit acquainted of this your broadcast provided shiny clear concept