WFMW: Share a Fall Recipe

[Having trouble coming up with new tips every week? Join in with this week's suggested theme: Share a fall recipe! Feel free to link up older posts, too.]

I make a mean potato soup. The first time I made it, more than fifteen years ago, my new husband kept going back for refills. I had made enough to last us for a few days, but at the rate he was going, we wouldn’t have any leftovers. When I told him so, he walked right over to the trash and poured the whole bowl in the can. That is affectionately referred to as The Potato Soup Fight.

Ingredients:

3-5 lb. potatoes, pared & diced
1 med. onion, chopped
2 chicken bouillon cubes/or can of chicken broth
8 slices bacon, very crisp
Salt, Pepper to taste
1/2 gal. milk
1 cup cheddar cheese

Boil potatoes, onion and bouillon cubes in just enough water to cover until potatoes are tender. Add milk. (I like to mash the potatoes once they are very tender). Thicken with cornstarch. Crumble bacon and add to soup, add cheese.

Now, go have your own fight!

Comments

Thanks for sharing your recipe, sounds yummy! I don’t know why I don’t make more soup, seriously gonna start (especially now that it’s less than 80 degrees outside!). Love the story that goes with your soup, too!

This story made me laugh! oh I would have been so mad! Although I just told my husband tonight: “Don’t eat all the soup, we need leftovers for tomorrow night!” Thankfully he just frowned at me, instead of dumping it in the garbage! :)

I love soup.

I love potatoes.

I love bacon.

I love onions.

I love cheddar.

Cornstarch? Not so much but it serves a purpose. In other words this recipe is a) easy & b) yummy sounding. It’s similar to one I use but *just* different enough I need to substitute it the NEXT time I’m craving Fighty Potato Soup :).

When I saw recipes as an option, I HAD to link my Easy Chicken & Dumplings from Southern Living; another simple recipe my kids (ummm, and all of us) DEVOUR!

Looks like a wonderful recipe! My big crew loves soup in the winter – it makes for a wonderful, filling meal plus it is always more economical.

I may have to start adapting my winter recipe repertoire though…moving to Texas may make soup less palatable? :)

Yummy~your potato soup recipe sounds delicious. I just shared a few of my favorite pumpkin recipes on my blog a couple days ago, so this was perfect timing. Thanks for hosting! :O)

Why in the world would he throw away a perfectly good bowl of soup??? I just don’t get it. No explanation for the fight necessary. {shaking my head in bewilderment over throwing it away…}

Oh my goodness, this is so funny because I am a potato soup nut. My husband was recently traveling for a month, and I have two young kids (4 and 1). While I continued their meals, I made a different version of potato soup almost every other day for two weeks!! And you know, I’m still not sure I know which one I like best. I do love soup, that’s for sure! What a funny story- sounds like something my husband would do.

A question- how do you store leftover potato soup so it doesn’t get funny when it’s reheated? I don’t usually make enough to save leftovers because I wasn’t sure how it would get.

Thanks for hosting! I got the Reluctant Entertainer book in the mail last week. I LOVE it! I was so excited to see it in the mail! Thanks for such a great give away and for making my day! ~Liz

Julie says

Hubby and I had a fight last night – So I decided that This Soup would be “safe” to make today!
    Thanks for sharing :-)

Do you would like to lose 10 pounds everyday 5 pounds everyday or
    1 pound everyday. Work or another reasons can deprive you of the opportunity to own
    dinner in necessary time however, if you want weight reduction not to turn into torture
    it’s important to sacrifice, namely to find an chance to eat within this time interval.
    Add a twist of lemon or lime for flavor enhancement.
    Dr Ismail stresses the Food Guide Pyramid just isn’t as sensational as some new-fangled diet
    ideas which might be abound. Now transitioning will using raw foods was almost instant and I
    realize that some people would prefer to transition slower which
    is fine.