Advent(ish)

My favorite, favorite, favorite time of  the day in December is lighting our Advent wreath during dinner and reading together from The Book.

It’s never perfect, usually loud, mostly messy, sometimes holy and always memorable.

Our youngest (turning 4 this week!) usually recaps with her own interpretation. (I’m pretty sure when she starts talking about Adam and Eve, she’s preaching, but when she mentions Ariel-it’s a stretch).

What are you enjoying most about this season?

Comments

mel says

Sweet. Not many adults can even tie-in the Genesis 3:15 promise of a Savior to the Christmas story. We love our advent wreath and this year also tied in the Jewish history by lighting a Menorah.

• 5.1

My family celebrates Hannakuh, too! We’re not Jewish but my mom has always insisted, “Jesus was Jewish and we’re grafted in!” Now that I’m older it has brought so much more meaning into my christain waslk with Jesus having learned some of those Jewish customs and tradtions. Very cool that you guys incorporate a Menorah into your holiday celebrations. :)

“That was a good Christmas story, Mom!” –my 3 1/2 year old after watching this. They must speak stories in the same language at this age. :)

I’m loving that our kids are both old enough to understand that it’s Jesus’ birthday that we are celebrating. …and the fact that every time we see a Santa, my daughter says “Mom! It’s Santa Noah Moses!!!!” Apparently the white beard is throwing her off. LOL!!

• 7.1

kristen says

oh that is funny! Lately, my girl has been taking the baby Jesus from the Fisher Price Nativity and taking a bath with it-only it because Moses once it hits the water. Kids are so funny!

• 7.1.1

mel says

We used to find Polly Pockets standing in the nativity set with the shepherds, all adoring Baby Jesus. And if Baby Jesus was missing, for sure, we would find the Babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in the Fisher Price doll house. . .

i bought one of caleb’s wreaths for my mom for christmas (and gave it to her a month early . . . duh!) and at their house and ours we are doing ann’s jesse tree devotional. have a blessed advent season!
    lots of love,
    shana

• 11.1

mel says

A few years ago I put together a series of summer Sunday School lessons based on the Jesse Tree. Each family made Jesse Tree ornaments which were added weekly to their little Easter trees purchased from the Dollar Store. We still use our Jesse Tree as part of our Christmas decorations. I like to use the short devotional, “The Advent Jesse Tree: Devotions for Children and Adults to prepare for the coming of the Christ Child at Christmas” by Dean M. Lambert. (I found it on Amazon. By-the-way, I have no connection to the author or publisher so this is just a recommendation by a stay-at-home Mom, praying and trying to keep her children on the “right track.”)