WFMW: Tip for Buying Plane Tickets

Occasionally I have to fly.

On an airplane–although my four year old tries to convince me all I need is pixie dust.

I thought this was a fascinating article full of tips on purchasing plane tickets:

• Weekdays are best to purchase airline tickets
  • You can save up to 25% by purchasing mid-week
  • 3 p.m. Eastern time Tuesdays-absolute best time

I’m going to try it the next time I need to fly!

What works for you?

Comments

Ooh! THANKS for the airline ticket purchasing tips!!! I mean, normally my assistant books my last-minute first-class trips to Paris and New York. But, sometimes she is busy carpooling when my chauffeur needs a day off (usually only on the holidays). giggle giggle…I really WANT to have a reason SOON to need your tips!!! Calgon, take me awayyyyy! :-)

Have I told you lately? I really like your blog. And I sure do like reading about you following your heart (and God’s) to Africa. Thanks for what you’re doing. It sure does inspire.

Oops, gotta run! My agent is calling…

My best tip for saving money on airline fares is not to fly to or from Canada! :) We drive to the U.S. and then fly to where we need to, saving 50-75% off the Canadian fares.

Great advice! I am pretty new to blogging so I am still trying to understand it all. I found WFMW but I thought you post it on Wednesday or al least some of the other link ups I’ve searched thru you post on the day. Hope you’ll check out my post on DIY CHEAP Natural Cleaner because it works for me & I know it will work for you!

That’s interesting. I just bought tickets for a family trip yesterday! I am subconsciously a thrifty shopper. :) Thanks for the great info!

We somewhat noticed the trend in pricing last year when we were trying to find cheap tickets to the Big Easy for a mission trip. This year we are trying to find cheap tickets again….but for 6 people instead of 2. We live in central PA and usually fly out of Philadelphia, but I found that flying out of Pittsburg is way cheaper! So checking around between different airports is a good thing. Flying in and out of smaller airports (even if they are labeled international airports) often costs more. For instance, flying out of Allentown or Harrisburg usually adds something like $100-$150 to prices for me.

Also, as far as saving on parking fees…any time we are flying out, we try to find ways to cut the cost of parking. If we are going to be away for longer than 4 or 5 days, its almost always cheaper for us to book a cheap room at a hotel near the airport that will let you keep your car there and shuttle you over to the airport. Flying out of Philly, its cheaper to park out of town and take the train to the airport. The round trip train ticket is about $10 versus the $12/day parking fare. The train goes right to the different terminals, so that makes things super helpful.

There are lots of ways to save on overall costs when flying.

Very helpful tips. I am planning on going to Canada or Seattle this summer (maybe both) and I was hoping to discover some ways to save money before buying my tickets. You are a gem!

This week I am sharing my recipe for Grape And Port Wine Crisp. It is a great dessert and very healthy too! This recipe is gluten free, but it can be made using “regular” flour and oats if you don’t have an issue with gluten.
    Thanks for hosting!

I flew with my 4 kids this summer – alone. Yep, 1 adult, 4 kids. Main thing I forgot on the trip there: Snacks. Always bring snacks for your kids (no matter what age). I had enough snacks that I could have fed all of the passengers on the way back!

I should know that about flying since my sister is a travel agent and my son works for an airline…lol My favorite tip when traveling is to PAY for some guided tours…worth every penny ;) Thanks for hosting Kristen!

I never knew there were better times to buy airline tickets! I knew there were better times to fly though, so now I will try your tips! I am sharing a quick and easy recipe for compound butter that is divine on roasted poultry and that certainly works for me! All the best! Alex

Excellent web site. Lots of useful info here. I’m sending it to a few pals ans
    additionally sharing in delicious. And certainly, thanks for your effort!