I used to think making a home required loads of money and an eye for style.
I was wrong.
(Good thing because my money tree is withered and I’m nearsighted).
It has so little to do with square footage and updated flooring and *stuff*.
Making a home has a lot to do with perspective and inspiration.
I’ve had a millionaire in my home with more money than I can imagine. I watched their eyes take in my small space and simple taste. I wanted to offer excuses.
I’ve had religious refugees in my home with less earthly possessions than I can imagine. I watched their eyes take in my wealth and excess. I wanted to offer excuses.
Perspective: My house is big to some, small to others, but it is more than enough. It may get smaller next year or it may get bigger in five years. Size doesn’t matter, decor isn’t important. It’s putting myself in the shoes of the people who walk through the door and realizing that there is no comparison. What I have is a gift.
I don’t have designer brands or well-known pieces, but I have inspiration on my table:
I have soul-stirring words at every glance:
I have reminders of perspective in my kitchen:
And words to live by on my walls:
Pieces of the globe perched in view, celebrated like memorials, so I will never forget:
Simple invitations to stop and give thanks for life’s simple gifts, bird and nest:
Inspiration: Making a home is really simple. It’s providing a safe, warm place for the inhabitants to grow closer to each other and God. A place that encourages them to love one another and Him….
How do you really make a home?
Where I got my inspiration:
- Beautiful Abide in Him Metal Wall Hanging
- How to Create a Family Mission Statement
- Gorgeous Giving Thanks Hurricane Vases
- Modern Bird Studios Photography Art
- This is It and Love Your Family Prints
- Hand-carved Advent (Christmas, Easter) Wreath
- Lovely Inspired Lazy Susan
- You Were Made to Make a Difference-current Family Devotion Book (more posts on this later!)
- Compassion calendar (not to be sold) and paper basket (local market)
*I’m not getting paid to link some of my favorite things, but there are a couple of affiliate links thrown in.