WFMW: Making Easter Story Eggs

I’ve had several people email me about my homemade Easter Story Eggs, so I thought I’d repost it this week…Easter is about a month away:

For the past 5 or 6 years, we have used Resurrection Eggs to tell the amazing story of Easter to our kids. Family Life created these incredible story-telling tools before I was a parent and they have been hugely successful. They are on sale at Dayspring if you want to buy them!

The boxed set of plastic eggs come with a very good book that explains the story with Scriptures and ideas for celebrating. Each egg contains a symbol of The Resurrection story.

We gave our set away last year to our Russian Friends to take with them on their trip.

Instead of buying another one, we thought it would be powerful to make our own!

I saved an egg carton and gathered a dozen plastic eggs.

We made a list of 12 items that are in the Resurrection Story and if we couldn’t find the object around the house/yard, we just used our creativity.

Here’s ours:
1. A picture of a donkey (Jesus triumphal entry)
2. Palm leaf from our front yard
3. A cup (from the Last Supper) We used a small lid to a water bottle
4. A flower (representing the Garden where Jesus prayed)
5. Some coins (Judas’ betrayal)
6. A piece of leather (symbolizing the whip)
7. A thorn (crown of thorns)
8. A paper cross
9. A dice (represent the soldiers who gambled for his clothes)
10. A nail (crucifixion)
11. A rock (to cover the tomb)
12. An empty egg (to remember the empty tomb!)

I think this is such a fantastic way to teach Easter in a tangible way. You can open all the eggs at one time or do like our family and begin twelve days before Easter and open one egg each night.  Our kids take turns opening the eggs and we read Scripture.

Tonight we Googled the place of Jesus’ death because they had so many questions and thoughts….

It’s more than a story!

Comments

I created resurrection eggs last year when I was called less than 24 hours before the lesson. Talk about scrambling! I couldn’t come up with a palm leaf or anything even remotely resembling one, so I ended up taking a bay leaf from my spice rack and cutting it to look like a miniature palm branch. Just a tip for anyone else interested in creating resurrection eggs.

2. Barb @ A Life in Balance says

We made a set of these at my local MOPs group 2 years ago. It’s such a wonderful visual aid for the kids. I may suggest it to our preschool CCD Director as a project for next year. Thanks for the reminder!

I love the make your own idea for the Ressurection Eggs. Our school actually did an activity where the older students dressed up and acted out each scene of the Easter Story and the younger students walked from station to station and recieved a resurrection eggs that applied to that group. The kids loved it!

Our children’s ministry gives a set of Resurrection Eggs to every family who attends our Easter Egg hunt or services on Sunday morning … I think over the past five years we’ve given away almost 2000 sets! People love them. Our youth also do like Amanda (above) mentioned and act out the Easter account as our children’s pastor goes through the eggs before the egg hunt.

Our children’s ministry at our church did this for our children also. They also sent out a recipe for resurrection cookies for us to do at home with our kids. They just loved it! I think it is a wonderful way to let the kids visualise the story of resurrection.

Hi there! Its my first time linking up to your site! Sorry… I accidentally missed putting the title on my submission! I know what to do for next time! thanks so much!!!!

We just purchased our first Resurrection Eggs from the Christian bookstore and my 3 year old loves it! Thanks for sharing this all with everyone.

Blessings!

Just love this idea for teaching kids the real story about Easter and not just the funny bunny commercialism stuff that is flooding the darn stores…so tired of it all. I hope I can remember this when I have some grandbabies ;) Thanks a bunch. Today I blogged about another dozen..The Dirty Dozen…which is a great guide on how to avoid pesticides in our foods. Enjoy, fondly, Roberta

9. Tammy B says

Got your book from Amazon today…..yup, it’s already read through! Read it quickly mostly because I really bought it for my daughter and can’t wait to mail it off to her! She’s a new mom and I know she will really enjoy it! AWESOME BOOK!!! Thanks!

We used to use these eggs when I taught religious education and the kids loved them and got the story a whole lot better! Linking up Baby steps to a Rockin’ life filled with home remedies this week and ways to make lifes pace more peaceful! All the best, Alex

We made our own set as well and LOVE them…We also give Resurrection Baskets and give gifts that symbolize events in the last week of Jesus on Earth…A couple years ago everyone got Bath kits…some sort of a bag with body wash, shampoo, etc…things they need, but symbolic of washing the disciples, feet and a reminder that we need to serve one another…last year we were going to do 30 silver dollars but I couldn’t find 150 of them…this year I was thinking about doing 30 half dollars, but money is so tight, I think we will not be able to afford it…I wrote some other ideas here:
    C~

I do trust all the ideas you’ve offered for your post.
    They are really convincing and can definitely work. Nonetheless, the posts are very
    quick for novices. May you please prolong them a little from
    subsequent time? Thanks for the post.

The Pandora Internet Radio application for the
    IPhone lets users listen to their own radio station that they have personalized
    themselves. The Apple app store is famous for containing a large range of
    different apps, many of which are simple, but make profit despite this.
    If you use your i – Phone or i – Pod you will what im talking about.

Also visit my page kik messenger for mac (Leonie)

The Lexi-Comp databases cover every topic in the healthcare industry and are available in modules to suit your needs, from
    individual fields to a comprehensive package.

i – Phone apps have flooded in the contemporary market with lots of amendments and outstanding features.
    Luckily for all of the Craigslist lovers there are several splendid solutions.

Stop by my weblog: kik messenger for pc

‘ B-Movies: This app can be available from i – Tunes App store without paying off any cost.
    i – Phone apps have flooded in the contemporary market with lots
    of amendments and outstanding features. Whether it is managing files or getting your expense reports, the App – Store is filled with advantageous business applications for
    your i – Phone 5 that enable you to be updated on almost