So That You May Sing With Us

I love making music with these people.

They talk in rhythm, whine in crescendo and love in melody.

A little more than a year ago, they waved their mom/wife off to Africa.

They welcomed a stranger at the airport with small gifts she asked them to return.

They quietly watched her, never pressing, silently grieving along side her, sharing her pain of knowing.

They stepped into her new normal without complaint, never missing a beat. The rhythm becoming their own.

They sacrifice for a country they’ve never seen. They long for a people they do not know.  They prepare for a life-changing journey they cannot imagine.

It will be hard, uncomfortable, foreign.

They sing with me.

And youmy friends stretching across the globe with wireless cords connecting usyou trusted my song.

Can you hear it?

It is not a single note with a lone soloist, it is a mighty chorus of a mercy-loving choir.

I am preparing to return to Africa. This time, they are coming with me.

I hope you will too…..

ili nasi mwimbe

…so that you may sing with us….

*picture from the Houston Zoo’s African Exhibit

Three week Itinerary in Kenya: Unpack and organize 800 pounds of donations, Dedication ceremony of home, board meeting, staff development, implementing the sustainable skills program, setting up online accounting program/training, creating homeschool station (explaining it) and partnerships with other local organizations (maternity clinic in heart of the slum, Crisis Pregnancy of Kenya, Mattaw Children’s Village, Made in the Streets (potential)), as well as visit with the local church, hospital and Compassion International of Kenya. Plus, my hubby will be preaching in a village church and we’ll be purchasing a vehicle for the maternity home!

Help us prepare:

• Please pray for endurance: We have a lot to accomplish before our trip (while both working other jobs).
  • Please pray for safety and health for us, our children and my mom (who will be teaching skills and helping with the kids) while in Africa.
  • Please pray for wisdom and guidance- (um, we’ve never done this before!)
  • Please pray that our 18+ bags of supplies will go unnoticed through customs.
  • Please mark the dates on your calendar: June 10-July 3, 2011, so you can follow the journey via periodic updates here.

Mercy House April Collection Drive

Comments

Mary J says

“Where you go, I’ll go, where you stay, I’ll stay, I will follow…” That’s what you are doing…that’s what you inspire through your faithful obedience to the One who called you. I’ll be watching and praying…and following right along with y’all. Will you have a local send-off…where those who know and love you can lay hands on each of you and pray over you? Would love to do that…?

So, so, so, excited for your journey! I can’t express how proud I am of you and what a privilege it is to know you. My prayers are with you!!

Will definitely pray! I love how God is using you. You know, He has equipped you for this and you are allowing so many others to partner and help make a difference in this world. It is a beautiful thing!

Will be earnestly following and praying! God bless you and your sweet family. My mother-in-law is going in August. Chafundo (sp?) school in Zambia. I will pray for safe travels, many blessings, and real impact for God’s kingdom and in His glory. You amaze and inspire me — Christ working through you!

Oh Kristen, this is such an amazing journey. Your words… our wireless connection, your family trusting you and sacrificing for a country they’ve never seen…never missing a beat. SO beautifully said. I am praying, and there is something incredible about this trip, other than the obvious of your obedience and faith. Something filled with the Holy Spirit, life and love and hope-breathing deep in the hollows of what was empty and will come to be God filled, through your Trust im Him.
    AMAZING.
    Inspiring.
    To BE who He called us to be and walk where He’s asked us to go.
    Blessings and love to you and your family,
    Following your journey,
    Lora

Debra says

Great post! I so admire you for all your work in Kenya. I SO LOVE THE AFRICAN PEOPLE! Reading this reminds me of all my fears and uncertainty when I went to Tanzania last year. But God is good and will protect each of you. Who knows we might pass each other in the airport if we get to go again!!! lol Have a blessed day.
    Debra

Thank you for loving my homeland. I grew up in Cameroon, and although Kenya is on the opposite coast, my heart belongs to Africa. Blessings on your journey.

caitlin says

You give me the chills. Thank you for your Faith. I will pray and be amazed by you and what you are allowing God to do through you. Love Mercy.

shelley says

Just found your blog thru another blog. You are an inspiration. I will be praying for God’s plan to come to fruition. This is truly amazing. I watched Maureen’s testimony, tears. Truly amazing. I sponsor a Compassion child and now I realize just how important that sponsporship is. Look what is has done for Maureen. I can’t wait to go with you on this journey. You and your family are listening to God’s call. Praying for safety and that everything you need to do gets accomplished. I will do all I can do to help on your journey. I am going to post the needs on my blog.
    Blessings to you and your family,
    Shelley

Alexandra says

This sounds wonderful… just wonderful.
    I thought I’d mention that I have a friend who regularly travels from the US back to Colombia S.A. with 20+ bags of clothing, books, etc. for giving to families in need. When she gets asked at the airport (always) about the amount of stuff she has, she tells them the story of who they are for, she share the message of the Gospel with the customs officers and she (always) gets all her bags through, 95% of the time without paying ANY extra. The Mercy House ministry is definitely in God’s heart, and your ton of baggage may just be one more way to share its message and the message of Christ with people who would otherwise not hear about it.
    Be strong and courageous! Don not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go. (Josh. 1:9)
    May God flood you and your family and your ministry with overwhelming blessings.
    Alex

We were at the zoo just the other day and when I saw the drums, I couldn’t help but think of this post and it reminded me to pray. And it reminded me to share with my friends about The Mercy House. Blessings to you!

absolutely praying!!!! what an amazing trip this will be for you and your precious family… for them to see what you have seen first hand, to be where you have been. praying, praying, praying friend!

Wow! I am so excited for you all and praying for everyone and everything on your list, Kristen. Cannot wait to see what else God will do through you!

So excited for you guys! Those 3 weeks in July are going to change all five of you – in surprising and wonderful ways.

Godspeed, my friend. You’ll be in my prayers.

P.S. Love that picture.