The Most Amazing Gift: You Won’t Believe It!

I love Compassion International.

The trip I took to Kenya in 2010 started a chain of events that will lead me back to Africa 11 days from today. I cannot tell you what an integral part Compassion has played in helping behind-the-scenes with Mercy House planning.

I believe in their sponsorship program–so much so that we sponsor 11 children–from Africa to the Philippines.

We love these kids. We will meet 4 of the 11 in Kenya in less than two weeks. My kids will meet the children they have prayed for at bedtime and scribbled letters to–face-to-face.

I wrote about Precious on my blog nearly a year ago. She is 19. And she just happens to be my 4 year old’s best friend.

So, when I heard that the next Compassion Blogger trip was going to the Philippines, Precious’ country, I knew my 4 year old and I had to take a shopping trip. We tucked nail polish and flip flops, candy and treats into an envelope and mailed it to a blogging team member.

Precious writes the most beautiful letters in gorgeous English script. We feel like of all our kids, we’ve gotten to know her best because she’s older and writes often. She just graduated from high school, but will stay in the child sponsorship program until she’s 21 (part of the program’s initiative to stop child trafficking).

Oh, and she’s a beautiful girl, wearing purple flip flops, hanging out on our fridge.

So, this morning when I opened my computer for the first time at 9:30 a.m., I was surprised to find an alarming amount of tweets with my name. I followed the trail …..

to this post by Shaun Groves, who is leading the current trip to the Philippines RIGHT NOW.

You won’t believe what he discovered.

In an instant, I was bawling.

I can’t tell you how much I needed this. It didn’t convince me of Compassion’s stellar program-I’ve been a believer and advocate for a long time.

But it did feel like God was using this unbelievable “coincidence” to speak to my heart: “I know it all, Kristen. Every step. Every dream, fear. I care for you. I love Precious. A sparrow doesn’t fall without me knowing. I hold it all.”

As our family prepares to fly around the world to work at Mercy House and our dear Maureen and staff, actively recruit and interview pregnant girls this week, I just needed this reminder.

He holds us all.

Would you please consider sponsoring a child today?

God will use it to speak to you…maybe a year from now, when you need it most.

It will change your life.

Comments

Kristen, what a gift – God knew you needed this today and so many others too! He is SOO in control and we so quickly and often forget that! Thank you for sharing. I am celebrating with you and thank Him for the message to my heart as well!!

May God bless you and your family tremendously on your upcoming trip!
    Blessings!
    Janelle

Crystal says

That is so cool! And I can say too that Compassion is AMAZING! I’m constantly teasing God that if He would just give me a book deal, I’d sponsor more kids. :-)

As soon as I started reading Shaun’s blog post, I thought of you. You and I both have Compassion girls named Precious. You can read about mine here on the Compassion blog: http://blog.compassion.com/change-your-perspective-a-precious-perspective/ The name instantly reminded me of “our” Precious connection and I was amazed at the way He orchestrated this just for you.

Praying blessings over you, Welch family. Such faithful servants… :D

I cried when I read Shaun’s post this morning and I’m crying again reading your reaction. Such a beautiful display of His LOVE for us. So awesome. So thankful for all you do to glorify Him each day.

AmberK says

How awesome that our amazingly HUGE father loves us so much that he pinpointed you out today, Kristen. He’s an amazingly loving Daddy!! :) So sweet that you get to see Precious’ smile. This is ONLY our God’s kind of goodness, right there!!!!

Much love, sister.
    AmberK

Mollianne says

When I got to work this morning, a co-worker started telling me about this. She said, “Isn’t We are THAT Family” one of your blogging friends. I told her that, yes…sort of. She is going to Bolivia on a Compassion trip later this month and she was so excited to tell me about this. She told me about what Shaun found. We talked about Mercy House and I was able to tell her what I know of your story and how your Compassion Blogging trip played into God’s plan for you and the Mercy House. Your heart has been such an inspiration to me and my family. I can’t wait to see what wonderful things God has planned for you in Africa. I’m counting days until you go, as well. And holding you and Maureen and the ministry in prayer.

I saw Shaun’s post this morning… and thought wow, that is amazing. I am SO blessed, and encouraged, and inspired by what you’re doing.

Debbie says

God is so awesome.
    I started to tell my husband a little bit about what has been accomplished through your blog in the past year. About Mercy House. How amazing God can be when we truly strive to hear His voice and follow His will.
    I love those golden drops of blessing that He places for us to see that yes, He is watching and loving us.

Wow. Kristen, that story gave me goose bumps. That testimony. You know what? My husband and I began sponsoring our first child back in January. Her name is Cecilia and she’s from Tanzania. She’s 8 years old and she writes me about once per month (and we write, too!).

Now, for her birthday, in Feb., we sent some extra money for a birthday gift. When we received the letter a couple of months later, with Cecilia describing the gifts she bought and her gratitude, I was so excited. But when I pulled out the picture, with my girl surrounded by the gifts, my heart danced. I trust Compassion already, but this really drove it home for me. I was so happy to see they went “out of their way” to share this gift with me. It was also my first picture received other than her original sponsorship photo and my has she grown! She’s filled out beautifully.

Compassion is so much more than a sponsorship ~ it is truly a relationship. Cecilia signs all her letters with “I love you” and my heart melts every time I read it. The letters & pictures really help make that connection. We also send her stickers and coloring pages. We love to bless her and know Compassion is holding up their end.

I just want to echo Kristen and encourage you to sponsor a child from Compassion. Their heart is truly for those in poverty but more importantly, for bringing hearts to Jesus. This is just a pathway to get there. :) Connect with a child and see how God can use you to change their lives from across the world.

Thanks for sharing this testimony. God is amazing!

Jacque Watkins says

Just.Simply.Awesome! Many blessings to you and all you do, and may many be moved to sponsorship!

one of our compassion kids is named Precious too, a beautiful little Ugandan girl. Would love the chance to visit some of our kids, although it would involve a round the world trip if we did it all at once cause we have 2 in Africa, 1 in India and 3 in South America :-)

Read this Kristen…. it is amazing… l am so happy for you. I love it when God does things like this…. wow…

praying for you and with you….

much love,

tina yaeger-goins says

Okay, so by the time I got to the words, “You won’t believe what he discovered”, I had chills running up and down my body. Then, by the time I got through reading his entry, I had tears running down my face. Our God is so AMAZING!!!!

Doing a little happy dance to share the joy! So many prayers are being said that you are given all the hope and joy and encouragement you need to carry you on this servant’s journey. Our God is an awesome God!

Ashley says

Kristen, that is so awesome!!! I live the Philippines. I grew up there as a missionary kid! My home away from home!

Serious GOOSEBUMPS!!
    best story ever blogged about… and HE’s got uncountable more up His sleeve!Blessings on your trip – am praying…

friend, when i saw this i was in total shock and awe for you. what an amazing and loving gift from our God to you… and to all of us who read it. amazing