WFMW: Summer Cooking Tip

I don’t know about y’all, but by the time dinner rolls around at my house in my part of Texas, it is hot outside. Like a million degrees, give or take one or two. The last thing I want to do, is bake at 350 (no offense, Bridget).

Here’s what we’ve been doing: bulk grilling.

I marinated a couple of pounds, seasoned another pound and put barbeque sauce on a couple of pounds. I grilled them (or my hubby did to be exact) and we just used the grilled meat in different recipes all week.

*Only this is a reprint from last summer, and while I love the tip, we eat vegan/vegetarian dinners now to help my hubby with his diabetes. So, basically, I cook brown rice in bulk and heat up veggie patties. Or smeat, as some like to call it. Sorry if I killed your appetite.

Hope it works for you!

View WFMW guidelines here.

Comments

I’m a new follower. I was in Texas last week and it was stinking hot and humid. I live in Southern California and it can get hot but never humid! Linking up. Thanks for the hop

We eat fish at most but are also vegan for part of the year. I want to encourage you to branch out beyond just the rice and faux meats out there. Quinoa is a phenomenal grain that provides 7 g. of protein, 10% of the daily value for iron and very few calories for one cup (cooked). That is only one example but it can be a healthy lifestyle – and a tasty way of eating! Look at cookbooks for asian foods, mid-eastern foods, Indian… Good luck on your journey.

I do more freezer cooking in the summer so I have less days spent with an oven on in our kitchen. It’s a longer cooking session, but pays off when I don’t have to cook in the evenings!

Thanks for hosting!

Great tips, I hope you’re on the mend.I’m doing lots of make ahead and freezer cooking to spend more time with family and less time in the kitchen. thanks for hosting!

A couple of my favorite vegan/vegetarian grilling ideas: Kabobs (Seitan is decent, and easy to make yourself. Try the PPK recipe if you’re interested. Everydaydish.tv has a few good recipes too. Anyway, seitan is good with BBQ sauce. I also LOVE maple-balsamic grilled seitan. I don’t make it often, because that would require actual planning, and I–unfortunately–tend to get to 4:30, and think “What on earth are we having for dinner!? GAH!). Another one we really like is grilled pita pizzas. I top with hummus, olives, red onion, sliced roma tomatoes, red bell pepper, and feta if you want cheese. A sprinkle of slivered basil is good too.

Kristen,
    What a SMART idea!
    I used to do Once a Month Cooking–long ago…and that was one of the best, organized things I have done. a lot of work though. I may introduce it slowly, again.
    We are now vegetarian/vegan (we do eat fish), too!
    For our health.
    I prayed for you just now…
    HUGS,
    ~Leslie
    P.S. Apparently, I shouldn’t type when my coffee hasn’t kicked in. Link #136 is mine. And it goes nowhere. DOH!

Please enjoy the heat! I live in Minnesota and June is always around 70 degrees. It sounds nice but by June I just want to be at the pool. 70 degrees and swimming = cold kids! I keep telling my husband we need to move south. I want heat!

I can only imagine all that you are feeling. Ten years ago I lost both of my parents 3 months apart and then a few months later had a sudden strange health scare myself. Thankfully it resolved itself and I am fine so far. That scare shook me more than my parents deaths so close. I think I was raw and then new mortality real closely at that time and was worried. It took me a good long while to mentally get over it. Don’t be too hard on yourself for feeling vulnerable. It is so natural right now for you.

Although it’s been relatively cool so far in California, this week summer is finally here. As much as I love cooking, that enthusiasm evaporates quickly in this heat. We do lots of vegetarian meals — due to both budget and health. The grill is great for veggies .. though I think we need a second grill basket — one doesn’t seem enough with two teenage boys in the house!

Great post. I was checking constantly this weblog and I am inspired!
    Very useful info specifically the ultimate section :) I handle such info a lot.

I was seeking this certain information for a very
    long time. Thank you and good luck.