WFMW: What’s App

I’m a late [tech] bloomer. I’m not really an upgrade kind-of-girl, I just like things to work.

But I am m a fan of the text message.

It’s so quick and easy.

Just ask my hubby and he’ll show you our latest cell phone bill. [gulp]

A friend recommended an app called WhatsApp Messenger that has free text messaging (after the initial .99 purchase price), you can send pictures, leave voice mail, etc. It’s my new favorite app because it keeps me out of trouble.

It cost .99 and I’m hoping it will save us money if we need to text while we’re in Africa.

And now, the real reason I wrote this post…

I want to know what’s your favorite app???? What app works for you?

Comments

I am a really late bloomer in this area too!! Seriously. I got a Droid right before Blissdom because I figured if I was gong to a conference, I was a ‘real’ blogger and I needed a ‘real’ phone. My favorite thing is PicPlz, which is like Instagram if you have an iPhone. It makes the pictures look so cool and makes me look like a far better photographer than I really am :)

Keeping up with your travels and ministry – praying for you! I’m so glad you can post and keep everyone updated!

Shelia says

I’m a huge Google user, so I have the Google App (which lets me access my Gmail, Google Calendar, Google Reader, Google Documents, & Picasa) , along with Pandora, Facebook, Around Me, Yelp, The Weather Channel, Shazam, Public Radio, my local news app, my bank app, Netflix, along with a variety of free game apps that keep the kids entertained when the need arises. I’m always on the lookout for new apps that make my life easier. That works for me!

I definitely need to explore the apps on my phone more! One that comes in handy with the kids is the Disney app. It has short cartoons on it. A must at times!

I’d have to say my favorite is Twitter. I have Instagram but haven’t played around with it yet. I also like the dictionary app!

How could I choose just one app? Have you used your app in Africa or know someone who has? Just curious. Last time I was there I had to buy a Ugandan and Zambian SIM card in order to use my phone, and that only worked because at the time I had a Blackberry World Edition. I would be scared that there would be hidden charges.

Maggie says

Gas Buddy! I live in a dense suburban area. When my car needs gas I can open it up and it will give me the prices of all the gas station around me. I can then go to the cheapest station. Yesterday hubby got off the highway about 2 exits early and saved 10 cents per gallon. – I use it on my Android phone.

My husband and I just upgraded to the BlackBerry Torch. We can use BlackBerry Messenger and texting to any other BlackBerry user is free. We love the way it helps us to stay in touch while he’s at work or away on business.

I am still in the dark ages with a phone that makes/receives calls and takes (bad) pictures! If/when I finally do decide to get a smart phone I will definitely be looking for this app. :)

I’ve been enjoying your Africa updates so much! Thanks for sharing everyday. Prayers continuing for a wonderful rest of your trip and safe travels home.

My favorite app is Big Oven as I can quickly get recipes while I am out and about.

My youngest loves some of the books that I have downloaded for him while my oldest just likes the games.

Here are three: Kids in Mind: It rates movies based on Violence, Sex, and Profanity. Then it describes the scenes in the movie that fall within these categories. It helps me to make informed choices about what movies my girls can see. Mobile RSS: I can read from my Google Reader while waiting for the girls at piano. Grocery IQ: a grocery list that allows me to capture prices.

I love the Springpad app for my Android phone. I can keep track of webpages I want to visit, post notes to remind myself, clip pictures, and more. It’s great because it’s web based, so I can also access it at the office and home. Great for super busy moms!

I totally linked up with a non-app related post. Becuase every parent needs to know how to survive a road trip with everyone intact. :)

My latest fave app is a tool that calculates the Weight Watchers points plus value of foods. I’m counting points (again) these days, but with the new system you MUST have a calculator – which WW charges $18 for. The app cost me 0.99.

WWPP Calculator by Matt Donders.

I have to admit I am “behind” in this arena. I’ve avoided phones with data plans because the cost is outside our budget. Recently I picked up an Android tablet to help my son with special needs — I’m hoping this will be easier to use than the netbook. We’ve been exploring apps on it and I can see tons of potential!

I have a Droid. My fave apps: Tweetdeck, Poynt (recommends business/restaurants/etc. that are nearby, so handy!), and Out of Milk (grocery list and to do list app.) Out of Milk lets you make more than one list so I have a grocery list, a list for when I go to the health store, a list for Target/Walmart, and a list of my kids’ shoe sizes. And of COURSE my Google Maps app!

I can’t believe no one has mentioned Google Voice! Free to sign up and use (unless you make international calls on it), you pick your own number and it can ring on any phone (of yours) you wish, it has built-in voicemail and text messaging which are totally free and accessible through your phone or the internet, and it’s safe to give out your number because you can block callers for free (and they don’t have anything tied to your address anyways.)

Seriously, check it out!

• 28.1

Forgot to mention, I’m not sure if you have Droid/iPhone/Win7, but if you don’t have access to the Droid Google Voice app, you just use the m.google.com site on iOs and Windows phones.

YouVersion! This app gives me the Bible in text on my iPod Touch (also available for other platforms!). If you have a wifi connection, the app can also read the text to you. Several translations are available, in multiple languages. Oh, YouVersion is f*r*e*e!

Kim says

I love any app that keeps my daughter quiet at a restaurant. I’m all for engaging her in the conversation but when we’re sitting at Steak ‘n Shake with a hungry two-year-old waiting for 30+ minutes for a scrambled egg sometimes pulling out the iPhone with an app teaching shapes, letters, numbers, and patterns, or one with a “memory” type game is perfect for settling a case of the squirmies. There are some really great educational kids apps out there!

kaylen says

I use GoogleTalk, and it rocks! It’s completely free and doesn’t cost me anything but data on my phone (I have an unlimited data plan so data use doesn’t matter). My husband has it as well and it works just like regular IM on the computer, it’s connected to your Google account so you can access your chat history from almost any Google site (through links). It’s cheap easy fast and have had zero problems with it – except my husband forgetting to charge his phone!

You could probably get unlimited texting from the phone company you use for another $10 or so per line each month, might be cheaper than overage fees.

good luck!

Ang says

All my google apps especially Google voice is great, groceryIQ and yelp. I also like google translate.

Tremendous things here. I’m very happy to peer your article.

Thank you a lot and I’m taking a look ahead to touch you.
    Will you please drop me a e-mail?

First off I would like to say awesome blog! I had a quick question that
    I’d like to ask if you don’t mind. I was interested to know how you center yourself and clear your thoughts before writing.
    I have had trouble clearing my mind in getting my thoughts out.
    I do enjoy writing but it just seems like the first 10 to 15 minutes are generally wasted just trying
    to figure out how to begin. Any recommendations or hints? Appreciate it!

Hmm it looks like your site ate my first comment
    (it was super long) so I guess I’ll just sum it up what I submitted and say, I’m thoroughly
    enjoying your blog. I too am an aspiring blog writer but I’m still new to the whole thing.
    Do you have any points for rookie blog writers? I’d really appreciate it.

I loved as much as you’ll receive carried out right here.
    The sketch is tasteful, your authored material
    stylish. nonetheless, you command get bought an nervousness
    over that you wish be delivering the following. unwell unquestionably come more formerly again since
    exactly the same nearly very often inside case you
    shield this increase.

I got this web page from my pal who told me regarding this website and now
    this time I am visiting this web site and reading very informative posts at this
    time.