Dinner: It’s my favorite time of the day, even when it’s not. We try to protect this time, even when we have to force the quiet, the togetherness, the pause. It’s dinner time at our house. I’ve written about it before: the craziness and the routine, but I wanted to share some ways to gets your kids talking.
[Now, just to disclose, my kids never have a problem with talking, the always have to plenty to say. But sometimes I have a hard time getting them to open up about the right things.]
So, we ask questions. It’s simple really. My youngest has coined the term: Remembories (which is just a fancy preschool way of saying remembering memories).
Kids love to remember memories about themselves and it turns out it’s a great way to get them talking!
Ask, listen & connect.
Here’s some to get your started:
- What’s your favorite memory of you?
- When did you start walking?
- How much did you weigh at birth?
- If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be?
- What do you like best about yourself?
- What’s your favorite memory in your room?
- What do you love most about your room? the least?
- What would you change about your room?
- The best thing we’ve ever played in our yard?
- What do you love most about it? the least?
- If you could add one big thing to our yard, what would it be?
- What’s your favorite memory of school?
- What do you love most now? dislike the most now?
- What is the best grade you’ve had?
- What grade do you look the most forward to?
- What’s your favorite memory of something we’ve done together?
- What do you want to do as a family someday?
- Do you ever wish we had more/less kids?
- What would you keep the same/change about our family?
- What’s the best memory you have with a friend?
- Name some of your favorite friends. Why?
- Do you wish you had more/less/better friends?
- Do you make friends easy or hard. Why?
- What’s your best memory of church?
- Do you think God talks to you? How?
- What would you tell God if He were sitting at dinner with us?
- Do you think all people should know about Jesus?
- Where do you dream of going someday? Why?
- What kind of language would you like to learn?
- How do you think people live in other countries? Like us or different
- If you could give people in another country one thing, what would it be?
Download printable for free!