Me & My Best Friend

oh, my. I love this man.

And even better: I like him.

We had a date at Starbucks on Friday night. We pushed two big, comfy chairs together and pretended we were the only people in the room. With a notepad and laptop, we wrote down our dreams.

Not so much our goals, but the visions we’re afraid to give voice to- we wrote those down.

My hubby called it a dreamstorming session. I like that. Because if it had been a brainstorming session, my brain would have told me our dreams are too big, impossible.

People like me don’t do this well-envision things that I can’t figure out or control.

But it felt good to say it out loud to each other.

To write them down.

We sense change coming. It’s scary. It’s exciting.

It’s an opportunity to trust the unseen hand that guides us.

There’s a sweet intimacy that comes when you acknowledge your secret dreams to your best friend.

You should try it sometime.

Source: etsy.com via lannerart on Pinterest

P.S.  Two teen boys who badly needed haircuts and belts, showed up with guitars and sang loudly about two feet away from us. Everybody has a dream, some squeakier than others.

Comments

This is a fantastic idea. As a family with 3 boys my wife and I don’t often get a chance to get together like this. I really like your blog and what you’re doing. Keep up the great posts!

Love your t-shirts. You sound like a great family with strong values…keep doing what you’re doing.

Your family rocks!

2. tiabennett says

Thanks for that reminder. We just returned from Haiti and I think some of our dreams may have changed :)

Thanks too for reminding me to Dream Big!

God Bless you and your family!

I love this, Kristen! Whenever my husband and I are on a date we eventually end up doing something like this. Not specifically, but just kind of the “well, the empty nest is right around the corner. What are we going to do next?” kind of thing. It’s fun to dream!

How lovely that you’re in a place to dream with your husband! I thought about how applicable your encouragement is for friendships, too…ones outside of marriage. Because, sometimes our dreams are reserved for our best girl-friends and not our grooms. Don’tcha think?!

My husband and I like to sit and dreamstorm (love that word) over coffee. I think it’s what keeps us focused on what we truly want, rather than what we think is possible to achieve. And over time you figure out baby steps to make so much of it happen.

I needed to hear this today! Woke up with all sort of doubts crowding my thoughts, I had to beat them back with prayer. Thank you for sharing this, I think my husband and I need to sit down and have a dreamstorm too!!!

Thank you…I so needed this today. My heart has been getting heavy with all the dreams I’m not letting out. Need to grab my hubbers and head to Caribou for a similar date. I think the next big thing is to step out in faith and let God take those dreams where He will. I get tangled up in the “we don’t have the money for that” or “when will we ever find time for that” kinds of excuses. Need to let those go and see what He does. Thank you.

8. Susan says

I wish I could say the same. What do you do when you don’t feel that way toward your spouse? What if you have tried sharing and planning and you are not even in the same book, nevermind the same page.

• kristen says

Susan, I’ve been there before. I think that’s why I value it so much now. I think you find the one thing you can believe in together and you start from there. And you pray, a lot.

Sounds wonderfu! I cherish date days/nights with my husband. It keeps me reminded of how much I love him & “us”. It’s so easy to lose track of each other in the day to day. We need to write down our dreams! Next date is scheduled for our anniversary – perfect time for some dreaming together.

10. caitlin says

I am so grateful for your gentle encouragement and your honesty. Change is good, but scary. The courage it takes to overcome the fear is strengthening. Doing that together is by God’s grace. It is all by God’s grace. You inspire me and I am grateful. I thank God for you and your words! Change is good. Grace and Peace!

My hubby is my best friend, and I love to tell people not only do I love him but I like him so much, some people look at us funny but, hey he is the one God choose for me to grow old with, and I am so thankful for that,
    Your writing is always such a blessing!

12. Megan G. says

We are in dire need of a date night, and this one sounds fun! I will have to have some serious thought on what some of my dreams are between now and then…

Found your blog a few weeks ago and am loving it. ;0) Love that you guys dreamstorm. :) You guys are so cute. And I am excited to hear how these dreams start to become a reality in your lives!!! Hope your family has a GREAT Thanksgiving!!