Why We Need to Be Creative

I love to make things.

I grew up in an enterprenure’s home, with a dad who can still come up with ten new business ideas on a napkin at dinner and with a mom who folk art painted on Thursday nights, made stain glass on Saturdays and created porcelain dolls in between.

You could say I inherited some of this (except I can’t come up with ONE business that will get my hubby next to me during day time hours and I’m a horrible painter).

Except for that.

But I love to create.

For a long time, my creativity could be found in my DIY projects and home decor. But after returning from Africa, I struggled with continuing to make it about me and not sharing some of it. Does that make sense?

I think that’s why I can’t believe I get to be a part of Mercy House, specifically helping to empower our girls by selling their artistic creations. It all makes sense, this creative outlet helping them help themselves. Plus, I really enjoy this part of it!

Creativity has come full circle for me. Mine has found a purpose and I’m finding my rhythm to allow my creativity free reign back in my home again…

Ephesians 2:10 For we are God’s workmanship created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.

Why we need to be creative:

• We serve a creative God. Just look around you. (He also may or may not have a sense of humor)
  • God created us to be creative.
  • We possess a unique, original gift of creativity. We can produce something that no one else can.
  • We honor Him when we produce something creative.
  • He receives glory in our creations.
Challenge: My hubby and I are dream-storming about the future (you know, instead of brainstorming). It takes  a lot of creative juices to think outside the box. Besides just mental creativity, I’m trying to scratch the itch that demands hands-on creativity.
So, with only items in my home and 10 minutes to spare, I made this:
-white platter on my shelf made a great canvas -leftover ribbon and stickers from an old project -flag pieces cut from a sentimental Compassion International flyer -put them together to make a happy sign
What can you come up with?

Pin It

And don’t even tell me in that whiny voice, “I’m not creative.” You know who you are.

YOU WERE CREATED TO BE CREATIVE. It doesn’t have to be crafty to be creative. Go make a unique dinner, organize the garage exceptionally, write something heartfelt.

Glorify Him thru your creativity.

Why are you still here?
Go!

Comments

Karen says

To each has been given a gift…… crafts are NOT mine! BUT……I can make a mean pan of brownies while the rest of you ‘create’! :-)

My sort of new photography business is called KJ Creations Photography and in preparing for a talk about my journey through photography I was better able to put words to meaning in that I love photography because the photos I create are simply capturing what God has created – whether a child or a flower – they were both created by His hand. (Think of the song “How Great Thou Art.” That song has been so meaningful to me for a long time and then I thought about it from a photographers perspective – WOW!) I struggled with using “Creations” as part of my name because I didn’t do the creating – God did. But I like where you said, “He received glory in our creations,” because I like to think He does when I’m able to capture the personality of a three year old with my lens. Thanks for sharing!

I love that. I made a halloween costume for my daughter in ten minutes yesterday with only things from the dollar store. There’s pictures on my blog today of it if anyone wants to see it.

Loved that you talked about the “I’m not creative” person – that would be me. I am in the process of putting together a “STAR JAR” of prizes for the stars my kids earn each day.

Nancy says

I agree…we all need to express our creativity. When I was engaged I remember one of my friends taking my fiance aside and making him promise to always allow me to have a creative outlet.

I just love what you said about expressing creatively. I think it is right up there at the top of the list of things to do for yourself. I am always at my best when I am being creative. I come from a family of very creative parents, and my son is extremely creative also. Just the other day, when I asked him about something he was doing, he said”You know, I always like to have a project going”! That is the truth, and he is happiest when he is busy creating something. The plate you decorated is so very clever and cute. Love it! I linked my Chocolate Haunted House to you today. You have lots of wonderful link ups! Thanks,

Very cool! It’s funny–my WFMW post was about covering those advertising magnets you get in the mail/stuck to the front of your phone book with pretty paper to make something you’d actually like to have on your fridge. I’ve also made 2 “grapevine” wreaths using branches that were trimmed off the bushes in front of our home. One of my friends commented that she’s never looked at a pile of branches headed to the dump and thought, “I could do something with that!” LOL The wreath project was *really* time-consuming, but I still use those wreaths every year. I’ve been thinking of making another one…gathering the courage now. ;) Thanks for the inspiration!

:) I read your post and after a long time of feeling like I just didn’t want to write, I made myself get on the computer and post to my blog. It was really great and I thank you for the encouragement!