Meant to Be

We lay tangled under a heap of quilts, enjoying the deep contentment of comfortable love.

I can hear his even-breathing, feel the weight of his protective arm. But I’m not sleeping. I keep thinking about the comment he left on a blog, a comment about me. And I think of the love letter that is hidden in the Mr & Mrs Journal I’m giving him. It’s  for his eyes only.

It’s hard not to adore this man who lives counter-cultural to make our dreams come true. Even when the dreams are God-sized and terrifying.

He knows me well enough to figure out the one Christmas gift I’m giving him. He senses when the stress builds and is the first to suggest I step away. He eases my mom guilt, helping in every area.  He is the lover of my soul. A friend like no other. This man.

My husband.

Seventeen Christmas seasons ago I wore white. I walked the aisle towards twinkling Christmas lights in our December wedding, towards my future.

He surprised me with a song on my wedding day. He crooned “Meant to Be” and tears dripped off my chin.

We were so young. We have grown together and I don’t know where he ends and I begin anymore.

Nothing about our marriage is perfect. We have good days and not-so-good days. Yesterday we argued over a computer cord. Today we made up. Ooo la la.

But the 17 years of ups and downs have given us this: today. And I wouldn’t trade it for anything.

I smile-wide in the moonlight. He must sense the contentment. Joy.

He pulls me close, hot breath on my neck. I snuggle in deeper and relax against him. I can’t wait for him to read my anniversary love letter. We have a lot to celebrate.

————————

In honor of 17 years (!) Dayspring is offering my readers 50% off any item in their Mr. & Mrs. – Love Collection Set with the code: love50. Nothing screams hot monogamy like a journal you pass back and forth or awesome coupons or cute romantic mugs!

Comments

I have been married to my husband for 16 years. I pray to have the same relationship with him that you have with your husband. I don’t know you personally, but I know from your posts about your husband that you love him and you are open about it. I like that. He is a gift to you from God and you know it. Sometimes my pride gets in the way and I don’t allow God to bless me through my husband. Thanks for your post. God speaks to us in many ways.

Jen A. says

Happy Anniversary! I loved this post. So sweet and honest, and it really mirrors how I feel about my own husband (how did I get so blessed with him?). May you be blessed with many, many more happy years together!

Debra says

Happy Anniversary!!! I remember this day!!! I was there!!! WOW! Kristen you amaze me EVERYDAY I read your blog! All I can say is WOW!! You inspire me to press on…… I hope you have a great day and may God bless your marraiage greatly!!!

Much Love Debra

D Hopkins says

Congratulations on 17 years! You have become my *new* favorite blogger. Your posts are encouraging and so is your devotion to live counter- cultural. I also send my kids to public school and find a lot of encouragement here with that decision. (Most of my friends homeschool, which is great but not what God has placed on our hearts to do.) Thank you for sharing your family’s journey!

With Love, D

Jai says

Happy Anniversary! We are celebrating 16 years today and I think I will slide on over to the website and purchase some things for us. :)

Beautiful post!

Congratulations. :)

I have to giggle though. I ordered the love notes and coupon book when I got the beautiful pitcher. I can’t wait for my honey to get home so we can start using them.

Sue in Grapevine says

Happy Anniversary! I can tell you, it only gets better! Married 30 yrs to my guy — our just-married selves could never have imagined the fun we could have together all these yrs. later!

Beautiful memories. We bought the Mr. & Mrs. mugs a few years ago at a local book store. I had really wanted to purchase a set for my good friend when she got married in October, but I couldn’t find them anywhere here in Canada. Should have checked online, silly me. My favourite part about the mugs is the inscription just inside the cup that’s visible while you drink your beverage :)

We also have a December anniversary. This Christmas Eve will mark 4 years for my husband and I.

Happy Anniversary! And blessings to your family.

MichelleH says

Congratulations on your anniversary! What a sweet post. We were all so young when we got married, weren’t we? Thought we knew it all. haha Thank God for growing up together!

Megan G. says

Your marriage posts are my favorite! I was also wide awake listening to my sweet husband breathe last night. It’s wonderful to be in love with a godly man, isn’t it?

Megan G. says

PS – I just bought the journal and the note cards for kids. What a great deal – thank you! :)

And Happy Anniversary!

Molly says

17 years ago, my husband gave Christmas back to me. Two years earlier, my first husband had left me, moving out while I was celebrating with my family on Christmas Day. His betrayal made me dread Christmas – I wanted to “bah, humbug” everyone I caught whistling Jingle Bells as they walked to work.

When my then-boyfriend told me he was buying me a Christmas tree for my apartment, I was both excited and apprehensive. Could I fall in with Christmas again? The tree cost more than we thought it would, but we splurged on some lights. It looked bare without ornaments but there wasn’t any money left. Suddenly, I remembered that my brother had slipped a box of my nephew’s castoff Happy Meal toys into my stuff when I moved out of his basement. That wonderful boyfriend and I used up all the thread in my sewing kit hanging those toys on my tree. When we were finished, it was magical. Little plastic Batgirls, Snow White and a few of her dwarves, Ronald McDonald and Sonic the Hedgehog brought Christmas into that apartment. But that wonderful man brought Christmas back into my heart.

Jessa says

Oh my goodness you two are so adorable! Funny that you argued over a computer cord, don’t know why they have to make those things so hard to figure out and so easy to lose, they are an argument waiting to happen when you think about it. And cute he has figured out your Christmas gift. I do this to my hubby and he hates it :) Christmas is such a wonderful time to have an anniversary! So many sweet details in this post.

Jocelyn says

I LOVE this post. I love your marriage. I love your family! Honestly, it wasn’t until I started going to our church that I saw how beautiful marriage can be- through couples like you two. Happy, happy anniversary… and many MANY more!

Awesome post! Thanks for sharing! It is such a blessing to see couples in love! I think we so often see the opposite that it is a relief to recognize there are other happy couples in this world!
    God Bless,