We ART that family: Button Mosaic Heart

Over the holidays, we put together about a dozen puzzles. And by we, I mean my husband.

The rest of his helped him. And by help, I mean we searched for the one missing piece.

There’s just something therapeutic about it and it’s a great way to unplug and just be together as a family.

We left out our puzzle card table and decided to create art that was not only therapeutic, but something we could keep forever.

This is not an overnight project. It took us several weeks of working in 20-30 minutes spurts (short attention spans here). But we all pitched in and created something I’ll keep forever!

This is a really easy, affordable project that the whole family (children over 3) up to grandparents can do together.

We opted for a heart…not really to celebrate Valentine’s Day, I just love them. My hubby penciled a heart on a large canvas. I wanted something whimsical (which is another way of saying “this won’t be perfect”).

We wanted to make this easy enough for our preschooler to work on, so we had her color in the hearts. We chose colors that matched the buttons we found on ebay. (Large quantity grab bags are affordable).

Then we started gluing. The basic object is to cover as much of the canvas as you can, so it’s a lot like doing a puzzle. Our buttons were different sizes so we turned and moved until each button found their spot.

And then glued some more buttons.

And more.

And more.

Each of my kids and my hubby and I, worked together and separately. Each of us spending just a few minutes when we could to glue on a few buttons.

And then we were done:

I think you could do just about any shape and it would look amazing.

But this piece has a lot of heart in it.

Comments

This is a great idea. It is so pretty and definitely something to keep the whole family together during those short periods of time. Great job to all you! I want to make one now.

Melissa says

Love it!! Just wondering about the canvas size you used and size of button packages to get an idea of how many you would need for a project. Great idea for a snowy afternoon, and then some!

I love this! I’ve been wanting to make something similar for a while, but buttons are so expensive at the craft store. I never would have thought to check eBay! Thanks so much for the tip. :)

Fantastic idea! I bought 3 canvases today to do with my kiddos. My office is about to get brighter! Well, in 4 years when they’re all finished. :) Thanks for the great idea!

Wendi says

AbSooooLuTeLy LOVE this idea!!!! I think that I am going to have to get some grab bags of buttons and do this idea for our family. I also see some Christmas gift ideas for my parents and my in-laws from the kids. :) Thank you for the great idea.

• 11.1

Wendi says

Okay, just went on ebay to look at grab bags and have a guestimation question ~ for the 16 x 20 canvas will I need bags with more than 50 buttons per color? I noticed that several of the grab bags by color were sold in lots of 50 count. Thanks so much for your help with this, I surely appreciate your help.

Love this! Just pinned it to Pinterest, too, lol! I have a quick question before my family dives into this project. What kind of glue did you use?

bp says

This is such a great idea! I am going to pin it so I won’t forget where to find it!

Also, I wondered if there would be any “My husband rocks” giveways or discount codes coming up in February. I wanted to order one and wanted to ask before I did that! Thank you!