What I’m Learning About Faith

I don’t have much of it.

The end.

———

Oh, you knew I’m way to wordy to stop there.

As a self-professed control freak, I admit that I need more faith. I like to have a plan, goals, a to-do list a mile long.

The start of 2012 hasn’t been what I thought it would be: we’re still trying to figure out how to juggle all that’s on our plate and not much has changed. I’ve had some discouraging days. I’ve questioned God and wondered why me more than once.

In a moment of frustration, I nonchalantly said to a friend who was volunteering for Mercy House, “I don’t know why God chose us. Some days I just don’t know how to do this.”

The next morning, I woke up to this email from my friend:

He chose you because even on hard days he knew you would never give up
He chose you because those precious women and their babies needed parents and role models like the Welch’s
He chose you because He knew that you would be real and that you would show others how much we need Him in the everyday daily things we go through
He chose you because in a world where we don’t see the power of Christ often and the way Jesus moves us you guys live that out…our pastor used to say when was the last time the power of Jesus moved you? I see that in you all the time
He chose you because he knew you would step out in faith. He chose you because even when people question your decisions or why you do what you do…you continue to follow Him and choose His ways
He chose you because He knew you could change the world.
He chose you because He knew that family was special and He believes in you more than you believe in yourself.
He chose you and Terrell because at the end of the day He knew you would realize you could never do this on your own and that you two would rely on Him to make HIs power perfect in our weakness. That He is your completer. and that this is what this life is all about.
He chose you because He knew you would never stop dreaming to do more for His kingdom

It was just what I needed. God is never late. He is working in ways we cannot see. His purpose will be accomplished if we yield to Him.

My hubby and I snuck away for breakfast the other morning. We held hands.

We hold onto Him.

He has chosen us and we need to believe in Him to accomplish what He has begun.

I still don’t feel any closer to having the answers.

But that doesn’t mean I’m not.

*My beautiful silver faith ring is from The Vintage Pearl. It inspires me throughout the day!

Comments

Such is the struggle…especially when you have chosen ministry! Have faced similar rumblings in our own lives lately. Somehow I feel He is preparing us, His body, for the times ahead…refining us and strengthening us. What it turns out to be may very well be quite a battle, but PRAISE HIM, we know Who is going to be victorious!! Praying for your ever-increasing faith {feel free to do the same for us}. :)

Amen, Kristen! Your authenticity to be real when confused or frustrated is what He uses in such meaningful ways.

(Please let me know how I can help Mercy House. Let’s connect.)

Rich blessings as you choose courage to trust that He’ll give you the faith.

Words straight from God’s heart to yours, Kristen. We all need to be encouraged sometimes because life is hard. Period. God believes in you, trusts in you, loves others through you. Your family is being a vessel for Him to pour out His love on. It’s never easy, but it’s always beautiful in the end.

I have been lurking around your blog for quite a while now (that sounds pretty sinister, doesn’t it?) and decided I should actually join in the conversation instead of just sitting back and eavesdropping!

There are many days when I break down at the end of the day (or the beginning; kind of depends) and say, “I have no idea what I’m doing! Why am I doing this?!” While I don’t have that friend who sends me an email to remind me that God is strong in my weakness, I have been reminded of that many times when I’ve read your heart poured out here.

I see aspects of my life in so much of what you say, especially in your posts about the amazingly strong-willed daughter you have. My little girl just turned 5 in December, and there are times I either have to laugh or cry when I see her drop down to her hands and knees in public to become a puppy dog… I wonder why she is as stubborn and hard-headed as she is, but then I am reminded of Peter, and how God uses people like her for incredible things. Especially when she says things about God that teach me lessons…

So, I’ve started to rambling now, but all that has been said to say this: thank you for your words and your heart being poured out here day after day for us to see. God is working through you in mighty ways.

5. Amber K says

Thank God for good friends. :)
    He chose you because you said YES, too. And that, my Christian sister friend, is pretty amazing.

Praying with you…

Hugs,
    Amber K

6. Vanessa Blythe Caldwell says

I want to say that I believe gGOD blesses us to be a blessing, that is something I have recently learned, He provides seeds to the sewers, and I believe that you were blessed with this wonderful email (among other things) to share. I had to share your email with my dad who seems to be wondering the same thing lately, why him and so on. So thank you for sharing, really thank you!

Thank you for sharing this . . . I needed to read it badly, both for a seemingly endless adoption we’re waiting on, and for a ministry I lead serving women who work in our city’s sex industry. Know that I am cheering you on!

8. Sharon O says

You are always encouraging and real that is why I love your blog and that picture of your family is hysterical.
    take care

What a precious post….thank you for your honesty. I can totally relate to feeling like you are not equipped for the ministries you are called to. My husband is a full-time youth pastor and when you don’t see growth or change, you begin to wonder if YOU are the problem. (Of course, Jesus didn’t exactly produce results that church growth experts would laud….) But it is a matter of faith – for me, I have to go back to that line in the sand – that moment when I KNEW God placed us in this place in time in this current position. Sometimes it helps, sometimes it doesn’t. :)

Kristen — what a pleasure it has been to watch you walk through this journey. I was writing about a similar thing, and writing about dealing with disappointment and hiding from God, not wanting to admit it all earlier this week {http://www.carolinecollie.com/2012/01/hiding-and-being-found/} and one of my friends read this post of yours and sent me here to read it. A blessing indeed! And, your sisterhood throughout the world are experiencing the same sufferings! Thank you for your transparency…you’ve already blessed me, blessed our ministry in South Africa, blessed so many men and women in Jesus’ Name — and praise our Awesome God, He’s going to see this amazing work He’s begun in and through you, right through to completion! Blessings one after another, friend. Thank you for sharing your journey.