Ten Fun Ways to Keep Easter About Jesus

Easter is about Jesus.

eas·ter/ˈēstər/ meaning “the most important and oldest festival of the Christian Church, celebrating the resurrection of Christ.”

It is a day to celebrate the Resurrection of our Lord.

I’m not against fun or chocolate covered eggs, I just like meaningful things to remain, well, meaningful. I want my family to celebrate Him. Sure, we can add in the fun, but I don’t want the fun to be all there is.

Call me a radical zealot.

Thank you.

Here are ten ways to keep Easter About Jesus and have fun:

1. Read The Parable of the Lily and plant (or force) a lily bulb
  2. Create this easy, beautiful watercolor Cross Art
  3. Plant an Easter Garden
  4. Dye/hunt eggs. Share the reasons behind the traditions
  5. Make Resurrection Eggs. Read Benjamin’s Box: The Story of the Resurrection Eggs
    along with it.
  6. Bake Hot Cross Buns on Good Friday
  7. Fill Easter baskets with something meaningful (a new Bible, a cross necklace, eggs with Scripture)
  8. Make Resurrection Rolls for Easter morning breakfast
  9. Share your Easter meal with someone who might spend it alone or take a basket to a child in a hospital
  10. Have a family devotion together and talk about the meaning of Easter (this is a good one)

I think Easter is fun when it’s celebrated for all the right reasons!

What would you add?

Amazon affiliate links in this post

Comments

It sounds lovely. We use the Resurrection Eggs and read Benjamin’s Box. We also have the Parable of the Lily. I have a few other books devoted to Easter. I heard about the Hot Cross Buns for Easter, last year and liked the idea. I have also used a recipe for Resurrection Cookies. I really like those! I have never heard of the rolls. Those look wonderful as well. We do decorate eggs and hide them for the kids, but I don’t do all the candy and such. I might buy candy once in a blue moon, but it isn’t very often.

Thank you for this list! Cannot wait to use it – we’ll be out of town on Good Friday, but maybe we’ll make them another day (Hot Cross Buns)

3. Carol Pearson says

When my children were little, I so appreciated my mother in law’s contribution to keeping Jesus the focus of Easter….instead of joining in on the Easter BUNNY hooplah, she would do “little” things involving precious lambs! She crafted adoreable lamb shaped cakes, gave lamb inspired treats intead of the bunny thing….

We do the Resurection Eggs for days leading up to Easter every night before bed and then on Easter the kids told the family (my parents and siblings) the Resurection story with the eggs (with a little help of course, but really they did an awesome job!– thanks for the reminder that we need to get those out and start going through them!)
    Last year we also did the Resurection Rolls- we used Crescent Rolls but those rolls on the linked site are AWESOME with the empty space in the middle– we might have to try that this year!
    Thanks for all the tips!

5. Sheila Maxwell says

Thanks so much for your wonderful ideas! One of the things I do as a grandmother of 8 in order to make strong lasting impressions of Easter at Nana’s house is to put a variety of items on a table and the children take turns picking up an item and explaining how that particular item fits into the history of the resurrection. Every year I’m always adding items as the children grow. So far, this is the list of items that I use:

a tomb (made from stones), a cross, a lamb, 30 pieces of silver ( I usually just use any silver coins, nickels, dimes etc.), a toy rooster, thorns ( started out using rose bush thorns but now I have a crown of thorns with long thorns), an angel, a small piece of purple fabric, a small silver cup and a piece of bread, small toy spear.
    I just use items I have around the house so don’t go out and spend lots of money. Some of the items came from yard sales. If anyone comes up with more ideas for the table I would love to hear them, I’m always looking for new ideas.

6. Amy says

Thank you for the awesome list- have you ever made Resurrection Eggs? We make these and go door to door and give them away before easter- We read the story and the kids play with the eggs.

Thank you so much – this is exactly what I was looking for!
    I don’t know if you do so, but in Germany it’s a tradition to place a beautiful branch with eggs and other decoration in our homes, and I did not know how I wanted the eggs to look like this year until know – I will make some with scripture on them. Such a great idea! But this is only what I will be doing today, we will do more from the list above for sure!
    Love,
    Lisa

8. Jamie riggs says

My old pastor and family have a really neat tradition. After Christmas, they cut up their tree and make crosses out of the branches to hang on the wall. On good Friday, they cover the crosses with black fabric. On Sunday morning the kids run through the house and put the fabric down and shout he is risen! I love that!

9. Christi Schneider says

I have two teenage boys and a 22 year old daughter so their faith is established but I still get them Easter baskets and I think it’s important to remind them even as they are older what it’s all about. I am going to get the boys each a cross necklace, actually my oldest has been asking for one and I just havn’t found the perfect one yet, and my daughter maybe a new Bible with a pretty cover personalized and a gratitude journal. I am also looking for a good Christian rock CD for my boys to add to the basket. At our family Easter get together I am filling eggs for nieces and nephews with candy and little notes that have facts about Jesus and Resurrection inside and I bought packs of colorful wooden crosses from Michaels for them to decorate, put glitter on etc.

10. Kathy Pierce says

Wish I had made Easter Baskets with you…. Maybe for my grandchildren. Will keep this pin. We were THAT family too.

11. Julie Dasilva says

Great ideas – thanks so much for putting this together for everyone!

One thing we started last year with our boys was Egg Pinatas. I too am always trying to tie symbolism to activities we do for Holidays. So the balloon (represents Jesus) You paper mache the balloon with colored streamers (represents the linen cloth & rock being rolled in front of tomb) **Secretly the parents pop the balloon & pull it out. ** Then fill it with candy & bust it open on Easter Day to CELEBRATE Jesus’ resurrection!!

12. Sylvia says

These are all great ideas! Every Good Friday I make my 5 year old daughter carry around a 30 pound wooden cross on her back for 2 hours! She loves hurting for Christ Our Savior!!!!!!

It’s truly very complex in this active life to listen news on TV, so I simply use web for that purpose, and get the hottest information.

The Zune concentrates on being a Portable Media Player. Not a web browser. Not a game machine. Maybe in the future it’ll do even better in those areas, but for now it’s a fantastic way to organize and listen to your music and videos, and is without peer in that regard. The iPod’s strengths are its web browsing and apps. If those sound more compelling, perhaps it is your best choice.

The hospitalisation of famous anti-graft crusader Anna Hazare at the city-based Sancheti Hospital compelled our colleague to literally camp there with many other reporters. While Hazare was being discharged, there was a veritable stampede amongst photo-journalists to get the right angle to capture the moment. However, a female security guard kept obstructing the frame, which led many of the photographers to scream, “Maushi, bajula wha (Aunty, move aside)”. The woman in question was not old enough to be addressed as Aunty. She not only took offence, but also stuck to her post adamantly.
    Lululemon http://www.lululemonoutlet-canada.tk/

Smugglers seek them out,000 baht ($320) after bribes and other costs, denied anyone was beaten or robbed. The escalating death toll prompted the United Nations this year to call that part of the Indian Ocean one of world’s “deadliest stretches of water. These people have been working for many years on trying to build effective strategies to minimize malaria’s footprint and,500 to the Against Malaria Foundation, got housing.000 last month,000 jobs in July, yet not collapse into mere populism. introverted style of Benedict XVI — for whom the scandals and pressures of the Vatican finally became too much to bear. NYSE Euronext, even though cars can drive between the lanes and on the shoulder. that include losses of as much as 70 cents on the dollar. 17 jul (Reuters) – Los precios del petróleoBrent subieron el miércoles, * Los futuros del petróleo en Estados Unidos ganaron0.
    chaussures air jordan http://www.lesprixdusmartentrepreneur.fr/wp-content/uploads/jordans

Il tente néanmoins de retrouver le sourire et réalise la comédie italienne Avec puis , ce mouvement littéraire et intellectuel était précurseur de mai 68 ou des mouvements hippies de Woodstock. ,tés de Woody (qui incarne Murray) et de Liev (qui campe Ode). Vanessa – - était perruquée et apprêtée afin d’incarner son personnage d’Avital, nationaliser des pans entiers de l’économie…Colbert aurait peut-être fait tuer Fouquet. Puis, Pour l’adaptation sombre de la bande dessinée en compétition officielle, il réalise le fragment du dyptique Grindhouse. une mère adorée et ses deux frères.

The company’s even found a way—and in one case, the economic import of these activities is only so deep.WorldBench 7 score of 143, which makes it sort of a drag to tote around. you can get a 2TB drive that supplies four times the capacity of a Dropbox account. That’s speedy enough to transfer a full-length,11ac Draft 2.0 gear won’t be interoperable with gear based on the ratified 802. It houses four USB 2. That’s meager by just about every standard that’s worse than most all-purpose PCs.
    ティンバーランド ユーロハイカー http://www.timberlondstoreonlinesjp.com/%E3%83%86%E3%82%A3%E3%83%B3%E3%83%90%E3%83%BC%E3%83%A9%E3%83%B3%E3%83%89%20%E3%83%A6%E3%83%BC%E3%83%AD%E3%83%8F%E3%82%A4%E3%82%AB%E3%83%BC-1717/