It All Comes Down to This {Free Printable}

I keep messing up this parenting thing.

I’ve had probably one of the most difficult weeks yet as mom. I’ve been a mom for TWELVE years, y’all.

{Dramatic pause}

Not only did we have an outbreak of eczema, poison ivy and impetigo (oh my), we also didn’t have water in the house, a broken tub and new challenges with our non-profit. And out of respect for my kiddos, I won’t air all our dirty laundry, but all three of my kids are going thru a challenging time. And I ache when my kids hurt, you know? (I also try to fix things that aren’t broken and lecture too much, but that’s for later).

It’s probably not a coincidence that I’m flying to Indiana tomorrow to speak on being a Light in the Home, about parenting, marriage and family, huh?

And boy, have I beat myself up about that.

Pray for me? And I’ll pray for you.

Parenting isn’t for wimps.

I just keep giving it all to Jesus: my strong-willed preschooler, my sensitive son, my overachieving tween,  my broken bathtub (sob), my control.

When it’s all said and done, I find peace in the words of Erma Bombeck (seriously!)

I may fail every day, but no matter what, I’m going to keep trying.

I’m thankful He specializes in messes.

{Yes, it’s a FREE 8×10 Printable}

Because it really all comes down to this.

My Everything

Comments

Praying for you. Yesterday was bordering on more than I could bear. And I’m sorry to say I didn’t do so well on the parenting end. I just pray God will protect my children from me at times like that. His mercies are new every morning, so I’m stepping out in faith for today.

Honesty, in the midst of life’s mess, reminds us of our need for the Lord. Obviously, YOU aren’t keeping it all together, and that’s the way it should be. Times like these call for the Almighty to step in and work. Praying for His hand to work in the needs in a powerful way.

Trista says

Pray for me and I will pray for you. I so badly needed this today. I have three children about the same ages as yours. And, boy are some days really hard. Thank you for sharing your faith and your “real life” view.

I just finished reading your book last weekend and when I had a rough parenting day a couple of days ago, I got brave and blogged about it…honestly…because you inspired me so much to just be real about it. And then your post today was so similar and it just made me smile that we are all so broken and so in need of Jesus and what a blessing that is. Anyway, I just wanted to thank you for being honest and putting everything out there and you are definitely in my prayers for your speaking event, and motherhood in general, because we are all just trying to do a great job with the job the Lord gave us. :-)

Julie says

Maybe I’m a bit hormonal right now, but your words brought me to tears. I understand how all can go awry in one swift moment……..then wouldn’t you know it, you get that chance to sit down and reflect and realize that it’s not all that bad and when you REALLY think about it, you realize how worse off some other people have it. Gotta take the good days with those days that we know will come and be emphasized by us as being unbearable. Thank you so much for your thought and for giving me the understanding that I am not alone when I feel the way I do some days. Praying for you for guidance and peace of mind.

Oh, I love me some Erma….and some Kristen. ;) This:
    “I also try to fix things that aren’t broken and lecture too much”

Yep. Ditto.

PS…we have a leak in our attic and the guest room ceiling is bulging and leaking. Feel any better about the tub?

That kinda describes my week exactly: My kitchen fridge is dying, 2 of 4 stove burners refuse to work, I haven’t finished our tax return, plus I made a shocking discovery in my one teenager’s bedroom that we will be confronting him about today (we put it off because yesterday was his 16th birthday)… God give me strength to deal with all of this! Will send a prayer your way. :-)

We have been praying for you and we are so glad someone GENUINE is coming to speak to us…someone with struggles just like ours, and someone who has been deep in the trenches of motherhood. We look forward to having you!

With great appreciation,
    Lauren

Heather says

Parenting is tough! I am so glad His mercies are new every morning! Is there a way to subscribe to your blog? I searched the site, but couldn’t find it…

Debra says

Thank you so much for sharing your “real” life stories. Sometimes I look at others who are well accomplished in life and it seems like they have it all together but I’m glad to know there are other moms who face the same struggles I do. I teach middle school all day (7th grade) and it is very hard to deal with students and the “issues” we have at school and then come home and deal with my own kids. It’s almost like I want them to be perfect because I see things in kids all day that I don’t want to see in my own. So to say the least I’ve been struggling with A LOT lately in different areas of life. Sorry for going on and on, but I am so glad I read your post today!! Much love and prayers to you!!!

Oh girl, we’ve had the impetigo too. So sorry. The enemy loves to attack, I’ll be praying about your speaking engagement this weekend.

You are already a light in our home.

As moms, we all have those minutes, hours, days, weeks, when it just seems like things aren’t going the way ‘we’ planned for them to go. So thankful that Jesus loves us even when we really mess things up. Have an amazing time this weekend!

Heather M says

Please don’t beat yourself up…we are all human, fallible. I know it’s awful when we don’t handle things well…but we are learning as we go too…just like our kids are. I love Erma! And Jane Fonda said something in an interview with Oprah…it has stuck with me for months. She says (something like) “The goal in life is NOT to be perfect, but to be whole”. I SO love that…it leaves room for imperfections. And I need plenty of room…. I’m constantly surprised by how challenging parenthood is…and the fact that I had to talk to my kindergartner about bullying. Crazy!

Yours are lucky to have you!
    ((hugs)))