Proud to be a….

I just returned from a weekend in small town Indiana.

I loved the rolling fields of yellow flowers, sprawling farms, kind people and the simple living.

But I’m a Texan. And I always laugh at all the stereotypes we put on people from different places.

I never say yee-haw, I don’t wear a cowboy hat and the only manure I smell is the mulch in my front yard.

I don’t own a pickup truck, my porch has never collapsed on my hunting dogs and the only redneck part of me is a small patch of ezcema.

I never chew on hay, I haven’t killed a snake with my boot  and I don’t talk with a southern accent even though I was born and raised here. (Disclaimer: my hubby has done all three of these, but he’s from West Texas. Totally different).

I don’t have a picture of George Bush in my house.

I do say y’all. In every sentence.

I do love that Texans are friendly. People wave at stop signs (unless they are transplants) and help their neighbors out. I do love home cooking and we do pack a gun. And now, my hubby and I each have a tattoo.

I love my state. I lived (missions work) in several others states–Arkansas, New Mexico and Florida– and while I loved things about each place, Texas is home.

Plus, everything is bigger here.

So. Here’s my question?

Where do you live? What’s a stereotype of your state?

I’d love to see if I have a reader in all 50 states plus a few other countries!

————————————-

Cute necklace made by The Vintage Pearl She has other states…

Comments

Kim says

I’m from California where everyone has bleached blonde hair, surgical enhancements and is a screaming liberal. Everyone! *rolls eyes*

• 1.1

…and surfs, loves the beach, and lives in LA or SF.

(I’m in the RURAL Sierra Nevadas, have never surfed, and don’t really care about the coastline)

• 1.3

Funny!! I’m originally from Texas (and still say ya’ll) but living in California. My husband, originally from Delaware, LOVES to surf and the beach. We’ve recently taken up bike riding and have considered a hybrid vehicle (because of gas prices, not because it’s earth-friendly, lol).

• 1.4

Also from california! Nobody mentioned the stereotype of sunshine and gorgeous weather? Well, we don’t have sunshine alllll the time, but I do believe that we have the best weather of any state… no humidity around here! (and when you hear a californian complaining about the “cold weather…” it’s probably like 65 degrees. we’re wimps!)

Laura says

I am born and raised in Oregon. People either think we are all tree hugging smelly hippie types or that we still have to worry about Indians scalping us.

Here…representing Oregon.
    And yes,
    I’m pretty “green”.
    Or at least I like green.
    And I drink a lot of coffee (only GOOD coffee).
    Okay, so maybe slightly-coffee-snobby.
    I don’t own an umbrella and yes, it does rain a lot.
    I do ride a bike (but not everywhere).
    And as of this year, I have chickens in my backyard–
    My backyard in the city.
    And yes, I did make my last non-amazon-book-purchase at Powell’s.
    Portland’s motto is “keep Portland weird”…
    Hmmnnn…
    Maybe.

Carrie says

WA – where you can be a Hippie, Techie, Outdoor Guru, or all of the above……or like me none of the above :)

Michelle says

Here in Montana We endure many of the same stereotypes as Texans. We are all cowboys, we all drive a pickup with a dog in the back, we all carry a gun and ride a horse. Too bad I live in a city, drive a hybrid, and am going to an opera this weekend. I guess I didn’t get the memo.

Carley says

I’m from Maine. And no, I don’t eat lobster for every meal. But I do see moose on a fairly regular basis.

I’m from Canada. I don’t live in an igloo. We have hot summers. We don’t all love hockey though I certainly do (watching right now as a matter a fact ;) ). We are quite friendly, I must admit. I’ve never put ‘eh’ in a sentence in my life — I’ve never heard anyone say it either. Proud to be a Canadian :)!!

Up here in The Last Frontier, Alaska.
    We all live in igloos.
    Sarah Palin is my neighbor.
    Polar bears are roaming on the streets (actually moose are, and in just about everyone’s yard.)
    All males have scrubby facial hair and wear Carhartts. This is so ridic-….no, wait, this one is true.
    All Alaskans get paid to live up here…uh, oops, that one is true also!

I lived in Israel for a year. No, not everyone there is either in the military or an Orthodox Jew. And, no, observant Israelis are not particularly clean..stereotypes aside. No, we were not there out of religious conviction.

And in answer to all the Israelis who asked me:
    No, Americans do not all live in Beverly Hills
    We do not all have servants
    Carpeting and wooden housing structures are not a sign of wealth (neither are practical in Israel, and so are reserved for the filthy rich)
    We are not all blonde
    We do not all get plastic surgery
    Rap music does not give an accurate picture of the typical African American (I’m white, but I still got the question)
    We do not all live in cities
    We are not all white collar
    We are not all promiscuous
    Hollywood movies are not real life
    We do not all have Southern Accents

Shall I continue?

I’m from South Carolina
    Everyone thinks we can’t forget about Civil War
    That every guy is named Bubba, drives a pick-up truck, and loves to hunt.
    However, 50% of my high school population were African- Americans, and they normally dominate in sports.
    I only know 2 guys who go by Bubba, and no that is not their real name.
    My family has never owned a truck and I’ve never been hunting.

• 13.1

Kelly says

I’m an SC girl also! Having lived in NC (the *other* Carolina) and VA I heard often that SC is an ignorant state. Yes, sadly our state tests scores are pretty low but amazingly I know a lot of folks who speak in complete sentences, and some have even graduated from college. ;)

I’m from Missouri. I’m not sure what stereotypes we have other than Southerners call us Yankees (offensive) and Northerners think we’re Southern hicks.

Angela says

I’m from Florida (until we moved a month ago, but its still my home), where we are all over the age of 65, horrible drivers, live on the beach, go to Disney World every weekend, and have pet alligators :) There are probably tons more but those are just some of the ones I’ve heard.

Also, we just moved to Texas a month ago for my husband to go to grad school and I hope I start to love it as much as everyone here does…if there is one thing I’ve learned since moving here, its that Texans sure are proud of their state! It cracks me up! :) But I do miss my Florida beaches and the lack of tornadoes (got here just in time for the 12 tornadoes in Dallas…)!!

I’ve lived in Colorado my whole life, and I’ve never once been skiing. Also, I think a lot of people think all Coloradoans are health-nuts: running, biking, rock climbing, hiking, eating vegan. I like a slower paced life, and I enjoy a big old steak! :)

I am Australian and….
    1. We don’t all act like ‘Crocodile Dundee’ or Steve Erwin
    2. We don’t have kangaroo’s as pets.
    3. Koalas, while cute to look at are really, really stinky! And they are called koalas, not koala bears!
    4. We don’t ever – “Throw a shrimp on the barbie, mate.”
    5. We don’t all eat Vegemite
    Here is a blog post sharing some of the other Australian quirks if anyone is interested!

• 17.1

Kim says

I agree with most of this . Although we don’t call them shrimps, prawns are awesome on the barbie and so are crocodile, kangaroo and emu (but only as sausages for emu) as well as amazing fish. We do have an amazing variety of fresh food to choose from (I’m from Australia too)
      We are generally a fairly laid back society although not many people I know say g’day much.

• 17.1.1

Funkymunkee says

Yeah but we do say “mate” a lot. At least everyone here in remote country Western Australia.

• 17.2

Funkymunkee says

Sharen, I loved your blog post! Ken Duncan describes himself as “an average photographer with a great God”. Amazing!

I live in New York – and if you live in NY, it must be the city. Not so! While the City never sleeps (as Melody mentioned above), there are no street lights on my road. I’ve had cows run through my yard and plant a garden every summer. I have seen deer, rabbits, squirrels, woodchucks and mink running around our property in the summer. On a July night you’ll see fireflies and smell the manure from the dairy barn down the road. Welcome to the flip side of NY!

Melinda M says

Howdy from Texas!

Actually, I never say “Howdy” and I have never ridden a horse to school or work. I didn’t own my first pair of boots until college and I haven’t worn said boots in at least 10 years (probably longer).

Joshua says

Iowa. Yes, there is a lot of corn here. No, we don’t grow potatoes. (That’s Idaho)…

No, it’s not flat. Yes, it’s very green in the summer, and can be very cold in the winter. We’re not all farmers, but (I think) most of us know at least one farmer.

You know those big, thick pork chops? They’re called Iowa Chops. And we have bacon. Lots and lots of bacon.

I used to think that Iowa was an awful place to live. I’ve since changed my belief!

“Is this heaven?” “No, it’s Iowa….”

• 22.1

I too am from Iowa and was going to list all the same stereotypes as Josh…I will just say ditto!

The people in my small town are so friendly, the grocery store still carries out our groceries, everyone in the bank knows my name, there are no fences between houses here and no not everyone farms. But where else can you have a drive your tractor to school day?!

OH-IO! Born in Colorado and spent many summer there when we were on staff with Campus Crusade. But, most of my childhood and adult years have been spent in some part of Ohio. :) Go Buckeyes!

Reppin’ good ol’ Indiana here! ;)

I have to give the disclaimer that you visited the most rural, small-town part of Indiana. :) It’s not all cornfields and yellow flowers. (Although those parts are nice.)

One of the biggest stereotypes is that there’s nothing to do here…and that’s actually pretty accurate. ;)

tiabennett says

I am from central Indiana. I had to look up the town you were speaking at, because I had never heard of it! I guess our stereotype is that we are all farmers. I am not a farmer, and have never lived on a farm, but know a lot of people who do! I have been to the Indy 500, but don’t know much about racing. My husband used to coach basketball, and my sons play now. We have a hoop with all the lines painted as our patio! We love basketball here!
    I love it in Indiana, and can’t imagine living anywhere else.

I live in Florida, but I’m fairly new here, so I’ll answer for my last state which isn’t represented yet: Arkansas.

People think that…We Arkansans all wear overalls with no shirts, have Joe or Bob as a middle name, are married to our cousins, and live in a trailer in the boonies.We think Bill Clinton is the best thing since sliced bread and see him regularly. We have never experienced life in a city, and we all know how to pick cotton. Oh, and all we eat is fried food.

In reality…While there are plenty of people who do fit the stereotype listed above, far, far more do not. My fondest memories of Arkansas include kind, generous people, breathtaking scenery, wonderful Little Rock, quaint small towns, state parks, outdoor activities, beautiful seasons, and amazing food! Yes, you can find fried anything. But the bbq, sweet tea, and home cooking are fabulous. Oh, and can I mention that Arkansans are among the most loyal people you’ll ever meet? And crazy about the Hogs, too. WPS, Arkansas!

Karen says

I’m from Alabama and contrary to popular opinion not everyone is a redneck and lives in a trailer.

I actually live in a city that has been rated one of the ‘smartest’ cities in the US because of the number of engineers and rocket scientists who work/reside here.

Our statewide school system is, however, struggling……..

stephanie says

Michigan here. Most people seem to think it’s cold and wintery here all. the. time. It’s actually only cold and wintery in the winter. :) We have all four seasons.

People also think we always point to our hand to show people where we live…and that actually happens…a lot.

People are usually surprised that Michigan has some of the most beautiful, sandy beaches…I live about 10 minutes from one!

I’m a native Georgian. Let’s see….we don’t all have syphilis, even a lot of the people from that infamous Rockdale County. We don’t all get pregnant at 15 or put our toddlers in pageants. We don’t call atlanta “the A-T-L.” I’ve never known someone that had an outhouse and we are not all racist rednecks who believe the south will rise again (although those do unfortunately exist) . I do like a lot of country music. I do know people who go hunting and fishing every. single. weekend. during the season and have animal heads hanging on their wall to prove it. We do have a beautiful view of the blue ridge mountains and my husband and I both own guns for protection. We also all have southern accents, say y’all a lot and eat grits.

• 29.1.1

Leigh Saunders says

Another Georgian here! We don’t all like peaches an peanuts either! I second the sweet tea! Sweet tea is NOT hot tea poured over ice with sugar added to it. Don’t people know sugar doesn’t dissolve in cold water?!? I’m pretty sure I have a family member with a Bubba type similar name though….and so does my hubby.

I’m in Washington, DC, in a PhD program studying religion and international development! I started reading this blog a few years ago when I lived in Connecticut for school, and was immediately drawn in by your warm voice and tales of family that inspired me for the future (and the “y’all”s). Then, as you became more and more involved with Mercy House, I was amazed at how your family’s calling and what I feel of mine have come together! So inspiring, on lots of levels. ;-)

I’m now a resident of South Cackalacky. We don’t have palm trees everywhere, but we do drink sweet tea like its our job. There is fantastic barbecue everywhere, and we do fry most things (I’ve seen deep-fried kool aid, no lie), but there’s also more educated people than one might think. We are Southern-friendly, simple and slower, but it’s intentional, knowing that good things were meant to be savored, and strangers were meant to turn into friends! Also, it’s nearly always sunny and beautiful!

tonya says

Kansas girl here! No, I don’t live on a farm or have cows in my front yard…gracious, I don’t even own a pair of cowboy boots. No, my dog’s name isn’t Toto and my home has never been swept up in a twister…this weekend was pretty ugly though. No, I don’t have a “hick” accent…at least I don’t think I do! :)

What a I do have here in Kansas are beautiful sunsets viewed across wide open spaces, small town friendliness, and the breath-taking Flint Hills!

• 32.1

Raised up in MO, living in SE KS. I do have the “hick” accent. I grewup on farms/ranches that were working ones, with the way of life of “if you don’t work you don’t eat”. I helped grow my own hamburgers (angus), I know how to bait a hook, catch fish, clean em, and cook em. I can skin a buck. My neck is red most of the summer from sunburn, as are most of my arms and face.

We have the twisting winds…regularly…and plenty of high straight line winds when it’s not twisting. It can go from 90 to below freezing in the same day.

In my younger years I bucked hay, was an all around farmgirl. I plant sunflowers in the yard. I do a lot from scratch, even use an old washboard for laundry (no joke).

I like living in rural KS…it’s a slower way of life, even in the “bigger towns” down here in the corner…where “big” is like 20K vs a few hundred thousand.

Folks call us a fly over state, but if they drove through once in a while, they’d see a lot more cool stuff. :) We’re more than the KC metro, Topeka, Wichita, and so on. We’re not all flat plains (there’s some hills here that are really fun to go down..hehe). It’s not all little house on the prairie, although if you go out west it may be a little…;)

• 32.1.1

And…us KS folks, we’re not all white farmers either. Hubby is half Cuban…his dad settled here after leaving Cuba when Castro took over. There are tons of Mexicans, folks from El Salvador, Guatamala, etc as well. Our neighbors are from Mexico…very nice folks, and the kids all play soccer together in our yard.

I will say, we are in the most liberal city outside of KC….Pittsburg….has to be the University influence, because most of the folks we meet who are not affiliated, are gun loving, constitution upholding, God fearing, and that’s totally not on campus at all.

I think too…many of the “stereotypes” of our various areas…in part come from truths. ;) Although I do look at Arkansas a little strange (we’re right at the border area…)…

• 32.3

Glad to see someone from KS pop in. Yes, Saturday night did reinforce the tornado thing. I would add that we are educated, we have the internet and use iPhones (and we have electricity, yada yada yada). Funny, any accent we have in Kansas is from all of the Texas, Oklahoma and Arkansas transplants :) I’m a city girl, but love to visit the rural areas – beautiful!!

• 32.4

Mary Beth says

I’m from Dodge City, Kansas and no I do not know Miss Kitty and Matt Dillon – but our main street is named Wyatt Earp Blvd. My husband worked at Boothill Museum as a gunfighter – no kidding! I’m a farmer’s daughter and love the country. We have beautiful sunsets and wonderful fields full of wheat. People still wave at you when you meet them on the highway and backroads. I wish people didn’t think of us as a “fly over state” because there is so much to see here.

mel says

Originally from North Dakota. . . bring that up and, it never fails, someone cracks up and comments on the movie “Fargo.” Could never watch it. Too violent. Haven’t lived in ND for 30 years but, yes, I still say my “o”s funny.

MH Toth says

I am from Texas, and each of my children were born over a vial of TEXAS dirt from my parents’ yard, so I can (and do) state they were “BORN OVER TEXAS SOIL!” My husband is from Indiana and doesn’t really get it (we met in the military), but he humored me with all three births.

I’m actually from the FIRST capital of the REPUBLIC of TEXAS (West Columbia), joined the Army and moved all over. We ended up in KALAMAZOO, Michigan.

I love your blog.

Crystal says

I know Oregon is already taken, but I love my state so much, I had to comment! If you’re from Western Oregon, people think you’re a weed-smoking, tree-hugging, peace-preaching, Birkenstocks-with-socks-wearing, homeschooling, atheist, save-the-earth hippie. And if you’re from Eastern, people think you’re an out-of-touch conservative farmer who never quite washes the dust off his Justins. I love OR!

Checking in from IDAHO! Contrary to popular belief, including a commenter above, there aren’t a lot of potatoes around here. There a lot of farms but most of the potatoes are grown in the eastern part of the state. Most of the people live in the southwestern part. We aren’t all cowboys with shotguns and pick up trucks and we have all the same modern conveniences as the rest of the United States. (seriously, when we moved here from Michigan when I was 11, several friends were worried we wouldn’t have electricity and running water! In 1989!) Idaho is one of the most beautiful places on earth and has some of the nicest people you’ll ever meet!

• 37.1

jadell says

True Blue and Orange Idaho girl here too! Yes, we are home to the Bronco’s, and yes, we have farms, and no, we aren’t anywhere near IOWA, or the mid west. :)

That’s one I will never understand. IOWA/ IDAHO. Two very different places , nowhere near each other, and I imagine we have many similarities and differences that make both states wonderful to live in!!

What a fun discussion!! :)

• 37.1.1

jadell says

I will add, too, that the Hagerman valley (south central Idaho) produces 80% of all trout consumed in restaurants worldwide. Pretty neat fact!!

Noel says

Minnesota. Contrary to popular belief, I don’t like hotdish. My kids have never played hockey. However, I did see snowflakes our my window today. (Uggh!) And I do speak with long O’s. (yikes!) Have a blessed week!

I live in Texas too. But I live north of Dallas. You forgot to mention big hair when you were listing TX stereotypes. ;) I say y’all all the time.

Jane B says

I am from New York (Long Island) so I am in the mafia! Lol But now I live in West Texas so now I drive a pick up and chew tobacco! Lol!!!! Where is your hubby from in West Texas?

Sara Z. says

Virginia. Yes, it is different from West Virginia. No, not everyone in this state is a redneck. We don’t all speak with a southern accent. We have the beach in our front yard and the mountains (where I live) in our backyard. We have a unique history that goes back to the origins of this wonderful country. We are the birthplace of eight presidents and the home of the end of the civil war. This state is rich with history, the Blue Ridge Parkway, state parks, and national parks. Proud to be a Virginian!

When I lived in East Asia, another “white folk” would ask where I was from, and I’d say “Texas”. I got lots of laughs, as they noticed I said “Texas” before “USA” or “America”, but my response was, if I say “USA” you will then ask me what state… so I just skipped a step! But yeah, I wanted folks to know that I was from Texas.

Yes, I say ‘folks” and “y’all”. I rarely use the grill with the new baby, but love to use charcoal to cook my meat. We did just buy a quarter of a cow— that’s a lot of beef. I don’t have big hair. When I ask for “ice”, it sounds more like “aaac” (with a very long “a”). but then, I’m from West Texas panhandle area (Lubbock specifically).

Julie says

I live in Kansas now…when we moved here from Tennessee I expected extremely flat land and no trees. Granted, the landscape is significantly less “hilly” than the beautiful rolling hills of Tennessee, but it’s not as barren as I expected. I still haven’t gotten used to calling the fizzy, carbonated drinks that I love “pop.” It will always be “coke” to me!

We live in Maryland, although I’m a native West Virginian. I’m a Navy wife, and will say that we enjoyed our tour in Texas very much! I’ve spent most of my life in two of the most rural counties in Maryland. I’ve never killed a snake with my boot, but my A/C unit has killed a few… Mostly, animals are endangered from cars… I’ve had near misses with nearly every barnyard animal and many wild animals, including a bear that I thought was a cow in the road. Whew! Maryland is wonderful for its history- Civil War battlefields, Historic St. Mary’s City (a living colonial museum), and proximity to DC and the museums there. Home of the Chesapeake Bay’s unique ecology and culture. It’s a nice mix of North and South. Also a homeschool friendly state, in my opinion…

• 44.1

Christina says

Yes, Merlin (Maryland) is waaaaay more than just Bawl-mer (Baltimore), hon! And of course I put Old Bay on my crab omelette this morning….. :)

• 44.1.1

Beth says

I’m from Bawl-mer, but I don’t say hon and I pronounce it Bal-ti-more – I’ve only lived here about 20 years, you know. Old Bay is the only way to eat crabs, chickens are polluting the bay even though our harbor is deadly and the chickens are down stream (likely polluting something, I admit..)and I hear we are right behind California with our rules. Plus, we don’t all die of crime, our school system in the city really is a mess, and jury duty makes me shake my head. There’s something to do at any hour of the day and the neighbors are friendly. City living is way better than I expected. Jesus is alive and well in the city!

Heather says

Hi Julie! Hi Kristen! I live in Kansas. People think Kansas is nothing but farmers and flat plains. Well, that’s mostly western Kansas. I live in Topeka which is about 45 minutes from the state line of Missouri. In the northeast part of the state where I live it is actually a lot of low rolling hills and trees. I’ve never seen a tornado and in my lifetime (34 years) we’re only been hit (slightly) with 1. I also don’t know anyone named Dorothy. ;) We’re pretty normal folks here. A bit sheltered from the rest of the world and I’m OK with that. Being at the center of the country actually is pretty nice because we can travel and see the rest of the country with minimal driving. It’s nice, actually. We get all 4 seasons here and our winters are usually fairly mild. I can’t complain. And yes – even in Kansas I say y’all. No idea why. My hubby calls a soft drink *pop* but I call it *soda.* Go figure! we grew up 10 miles away from each other so it’s just personal preference, I guess, nothing else.

MaryAnn says

Originally from New Yawk, but now living in Pa (and no, I’m not Amish. I like electricity and could never rock the bonnet).

I went to school in NH, where everyone thought that since I was coming from NY I was tough and in a gang.

Kara says

Checking in from Wisconsin – where I do love cheese and cheer hard for the Packers, so I guess those stereotypes fit. I love Wisconsin! I did live in Texas for five years, though – you really have to experience it to understand it. I always tell people that Texas is like another whole country….

lachelle says

Hello from Utah! This is the state where EVERY SINGLE PERSON is a Mormon, and every family has at least 12 kids (and 3 or 4 wives – ha!) and if you’re not a card-carrying Republican with a “Vote for Mitt” sign in your lawn, they make you leave. We’re all a bunch of wacked-out lunatics who dress like pioneers and do weird, non-alcoholic things in our spare time. If we’re friendly with you, it’s only because we’re trying to convert you (because we can’t possibly be sincere!). And if we try to back off a bit on the super-friendliness, it means we’re all cliquish and snobby. Can’t win! :)

Laura says

I was born and grew up in Idaho- in the potato part of the state, yes, but a lot of other stuff grows there as well. And not everyone there farms! My dad still lives in ID and he’a an analytical chemist. I now live in Utah, and no, we’re not all polygamists. A great deal of us are Mormon, but again, not all. Not even 50% in most parts of the state.

I’m from Louisiana…most people think we eat crawfish at every meal, have alligators for pets, are uneducated, have beads around our necks all the time, are all Catholic and have heavy Cajun accents.

In reality, we don’t eat much crawfish and it is more of a treat, there are alligators in ponds just down the street from my house (and I think it is scary!), we ARE educated and some things in our school system are changing to help that situation, I don’t care for Mardi Gras so I skip the parades, I’m Southern Baptist and have a Southern accent.

I will say North Louisiana and South Louisiana are completely different…North Louisiana is more like East Texas. PS… We love the Dallas Cowboys too :)

• 52.1

I’m from Louisiana, also…South Louisiana. We don’t have an alligator in the front yard, but I do have a Cajun accent! We eat gumbo in the winter, king cake during Mardi Gras, and crawfish when we can afford it. We lived away for 10 years and love being back where the people “laissez les Bon temps rouler” (let the good times roll!).

Nevada – and more specifically, Las Vegas!
    I don’t gamble, I’m not a stripper… I don’t even live on the strip… which means we have normal little neighborhoods here just like other cities. I don’t have a neon sign over my door, and although I personally like to stay up late, I don’t play round the clock. I have spotted Elvis – there is an impersonator in every neighborhood who is a normal dad trying to make a living. Elvis really will marry any couple who wants to get hitched… but I eloped on a mission trip in Panama years before moving here… Haha. Yes, I will tell you that dry heat is different than some of the hot, humid, muggy buggy places in the USA. Summer really does begin in April with the first 100 degree day and end in October when it chills down to 95. Off the strip you may be surprised to hike Red Rock Canyon – more glorious than any man made attraction in town. And snow skiing is just 46 minutes north of town. We also have an ice hockey team here – so its just not all neon and sin. I like to call Las Vegas ‘Grace City’ for where sin abounds, grace abounds all the more. And we all know that what happens in Vegas is revealed in heaven and leaks into our lives here on earth. Me? Jesus is happening in Vegas and I am leaking HIM!!!

I’m from Lubbock Texas too and all the things ya’ll said were pretty accurate. All soft drinks are called Coke and then you pick which kind you’d like :) However-I’ve also lived in New Mexico, where everyone is not Mexican or Navajo Indian, don’t all eat green chile (although it’s to die for!) or live in the dessert. You may have driven down I-40 on the way to Arizona or California and saw nothing but cactus but some of the most beautiful mountains and trees are in northern NM! Also-I lived in Utah, where not everyone is Mormon, although lots are. You can actually find a few other churches. There are very few black people also. Of course there are always the military transplants or the Utah Jazz. You will see a lot of green Jell-o but mostly brownie sundaes at every church function, caffeine free root beer or plain ole water. You will definitely see girls with big hair in what I like to call the Utah poof (similar to Snooki’s). You will see LOTS of kids, minivans and stay at home mamas!

you just nailed my stereotype.

we have an old truck.
    my southern accent is no secret… especially when i’m tired.
    i say “y’all”. and “fer”. and “fixin’ to”.
    there are deer in our backyard.
    and as of last month, boots on our porch (oh, dear!)
    people are friendly.
    guys open doors for girls. and say “yes, ma’am”

we left texas for a year when we moved to africa and missed it every minute we were gone. (of course, now we’re back and we miss africa the same…)

I was born and raised in Kansas and still live here today. It is rather flat but we also have beautiful hills as you travel east. I think watching the sun rise and set beyond the wheat fields can be just as gorgeous as any beach or mountain range. There are a lot of farms and a simpler lifestyle in Kansas, it seems. We do get tornadoes that on occasion lift homes off their foundations and move them. Parts of Kansas do live up to the stereotypes, but others don’t.

Kit says

I live in Wyoming, and yes it’s everything you’d think of when you think of “Wyoming:” Windy, open and empty land, simple and friendly folk. Cold weather. Horses, pick-ups, and republicans. Prong-horn antelope. There’s also some other stuff mixed in, like college students, military, and some good mountains and bears, and many outdoor activities. I’m proud to live here, because as the bumper sticker reads: “Wyoming– it’s not for everyone” ;)

By the way, when I think of Texas, I don’t think so much of some of the things you mentioned but I think of big homes and big hair. but perhaps that is included in your “everything is bigger in Texas” statement ;)

I always wondered how the big hair works out in the humidity down there, anyway ;)

Melanie B says

North Carolina been here for 23 yrs but originally from Arizona where my son thinks Indians still dressed in Indian attire. He was very disappointed when he saw other wise. I Know most people here in NC like there tea sweet.

Enjoy your blog.

I live in SE Texas – for 12 years now but before lived in montana and Wyoming. Most people still think Montana is the old west – we even were asked by some people in NY if we had a car or just rode horses everywhere. LOL

Pam says

Born in Alabama, mostly raised in Georgia. If I can hear those fake Southern accents on TV & in movies, I believe it’s called exaggeration. I had never heard of some phrases & supposed habits of Southerners until I met a woman who “wasn’t from around here”. She loved to “poke” me with these & when I would tell her I had never heard of them, she would tell me that I wasn’t really a Southerner. Like we were “better” than those around us. Must be working out ok for her, she’s lived here for over 30 years now!

Wisconsin is home for me! I’ve lived in many others states and overseas and WI will always be home. The rolling hills of the SW part of the state are absolutely beautiful. We do talk funny though – Wis CON sen. Not as bad as Minnesotans or North Dakotans though. :)

Leslee says

I live in Southern California, in the OC. We all live right on the beach and see movie stars everyday. Funny thing is I saw Billy Currington in downtown Huntington Beach two weeks ago!

I live in Colorado. Our stereotype is that all our sports teams are not that great, and no one really cares because we are all too busy loading our skis or bikes on top of our subarus to head to the mountains. Our weather is extremely bipolar. it can be sunny and clear in the morning, and by the afternoon it has dropped 20 degress and is snowing. We have no accents, or at least we all say we got ours from some other state. We are kind of granola-y, we have a health food/organic store on almost every corner. And man, do we love our breweries! :-)

Trista says

I am from Nebraska.
    My high school was surrounded by corn fields.
    Everyone waves on the county roads.
    My children all know how to catch a chicken running loose in the yard.
    We do live on a farm and own a tractor.
    We get the opportunity to see God’s grace every day in the changing seasons.
    As they say in Nebraska, if you don’t like the weather, wait a minute and it will change.

• 68.1

Lynette says

Another shout out from Nebraska ~ Go Huskers!

My high school was surrounded by corn fields on 3 sides (convenience store on the 4th side).

I live in the city, but I can drive from my house to a corn field in about a minute (yes, we drive cars and yes, there are paved roads here)

Nebraska has some of the best steak in the world!

The weather here is awesome – gotta love me some Thunderstorm Warnings!!

I live in Alabama.
    Yes, we have power, indoor plumbing, and cars here.
    And stores and nice clothes.
    And an airport.
    We aren’t all overweight but yes, we have fried chicken and sweet tea in restaurants.
    Some of us really don’t actually like them, and don’t make the choice to eat them.
    We have seasons, but yes, it is hot here a lot of the time.
    Tornadoes are sad, but they are a part of our lives.
    If you really want to know, the hospital you visited recently? probably has headquarters here.
    I wouldn’t change Alabama’s stereotypes because some of the BEST people live here.

But it makes me laugh to hear the stereotypes.

Teresa says

I’m from Indiana. I live in a city, not on a farm, not even in the country. There is a full-fledged interstate less than a mile from my house. I had someone from out of state visit once, and as we drove away from the airport, he said “Wow! You have sidewalks here!” It seems he had the impression the whole state was just one big farm next to another. :)

Sara says

I have lived in New Hampshire for the last 16 years, but I still feel like a Kansas girl. Since I am from KS, I will always be a flatlander to those around here. Most folks around here don’t really know where Kansas is – just out west somewhere. I still write pop (mostly) or coke on the grocery list, although most say soda here. People look at me funny when I talk about sledding – here it is sliding. Nobody knows what putt-putt is – here it is miniature golf.

CAB says

Hi from North Carolina…where we feud with our neighbors over sports (NCSU vs. duke vs. carolina) and BBQ (Vinegar-based sauce vs. tomato based sauce – on pulled/chopped pork, of course).

Only one other from VA? Geez!! Supposedly it’s for lovers, which many would claim as a truth for my family (2 kids within one year). ;) Where I live, we’re 2 hours from the beach, 2 hours from the mountains, and 2 hours from DC. Pretty fantastic. Echoing the comment above, we are NOT the same as West Virginia. So much history here, too, it’s ridiculous… Not sure there are many stereotypes about VA, are there?

Elizabeth says

I’m from New Joisey where everyone is ridiculously tan, poofs up their hair, and talks with a ridiculous accent. I live on a farm and even though I live less than a half hour away from the beach, I hate it which might explain why I’m so pale.

Rebecca says

I live near San Francisco. My grandma who lives in Nebraska once told me that Californians have to drink wine with every meal! Lol

I have to tell you that your books and blog have truly inspired me! Thank you for sharing your life with us!

I am in southern Arizona… I guess the biggest stereo type is that there is nothing beautiful about the state, and that is so wrong! Northern AZ is full of green trees & snow… Where I am at the desert is blooming this time of year and full of different colors. Also, even though about I am 50 miles from the border, I don’t speak Spanish… I love everyones comments! Happy Monday!

Mississippi stereotypes? Where to start? We’re not all racist. Many of us can read. Quite a few can write, and you’ve probably read some of what we’ve written. We aren’t called the Hospitality State for nothing.

Oh, and we only call it “Coke” here, too!

I live in upstate NY (NOT NYC), but I was born in South Korea and grew up in Cameroon (in west-central Africa) – so you can count those two countries in your list, Kristen!

Amy Jo says

I’m from a tiny town in Northwest Missouri. It’s considered a farm town, and yes there are lots of red necks and hicks. Just about everyone wears cowboy boots, plaid ranch style shirts, jeans with belt buckles, and a baseball or cowboy hat. I stick out like a sore thumb no matter what I do because my cowboy boots are red, my jeans aren’t wranglers so they have stitching on the pockets and are dark wash, and my plaid shirt is purple. Lol.
    And most people here do have pick ups, dogs, and gun. Thank you PoDunk America. :)

Nicole says

Indiana! Actually from the town out just spoke at really enjoyed it…you should see those fields in the fall at sunrise or sunset…one of Gods beautiful creations I think everyone believes life moves a little slower here I’m not sure that’s true but i know I’m an Indiana girl at heart!

Nicole says

Mississippi here, where we are all un-educated, un-sophisticed, and walk around barefoot through the cotton fields! I’ll proudly say that while I do enjoy going barefoot in my yard from time to time, I am most definitely educated and don’t have a cotton field in my little suburb!

Lorie says

I am from Missouri- the ShowMe State. We have to see it to believe it:). I live in the center of the state, close to the state capital – Jefferson City. They also say in Missouri if you do not like the weather wait until tomorrow-it will change!

Kim B. in AZ says

I am originally from CA. Were everyone is considered to live like they do in Hollywood, are liberal and a tree hugger. None of which describes me. Now I live in Arizona. The Southeastern corner or fly over country as we like to call it. I am not sure what the stereo type for this state is.

Mary Johnson says

I’m an Okie!!
    I grew up in east Oklahoma then moved “to the city” Oklahoma City,
    I love the city, but miss the country.
    I say coke to!
    We carry guns, chase tornado’s and some farm.Even in the city we have a small garden!

Valarie says

I can’t believe I’m the first from Illinois! Chicago originally then moved to Ottawa.

Chicagoans aren’t all in gangs!
    We don’t all live downtown.
    There really is only one Chicago baseball team, and it’s located on the North-side!
    The suburbs are not Chicago!!!

Thanks Kristen for all you do for us readers!! I’m so happy to be a part of the amazing work Mercy House does! Would love to be able to get involved more!

California Girl here! Born and raised…actually a 3rd generation San Franciscan – can you tell I am proud!? We have always referred to San Francisco as The City and we currently live in The Central Valley – Merced area.

Seems that people think we all surf and talk like Valley Girls…but that is the other valley! We aren’t all vegetarians…but I have had some fantastic vegetarian meals!

Can’t imagine living in any other state! But I am sure that I would love something about each and every one!

xoxo

Georgette says

Long Island, NY here and yes everyone is rude. I know a few nice folks and most of them are from other states!! Taxes are sky high & I cannot wait to move!!!

Ayah, I’m a Mainer! One who hates lobster… I know, practically sacrilegious! I’m more in the woods than on the coast though. Katahdin region, gorgeous area!

Sylvia says

Originally from the great state of ALABAMA now exiled to Washington state. No, all of us aren’t tobacco chewing, trailer living, barefoot and pregnant toothless rednecks. Well, except for the Auburn fans. ROLL TIDE ROLL! I’m kidding. Please don’t delete my comment.
    We lived in Texas for ten years and I love me some Texas. We will most likely go back to San Antonio when we retire. I can’t wait!

I am 4th gen Texan and a Daughter of the Republic of Texas. Since my blog is LoneStarLifer, I guess you can tell I am Texan through and through!

I LOVE this charm and will be getting it. Thanks for sharing.

Alabama! I don’t go around barefoot. I don’t have a truck in my yard up on blocks because it is missing tires. Not everyone is missing teeth and I don’t live down a dirt road :)

I’m currently living in Ohio but was born and raised in Michigan and I still consider that “home”. I point to my thumb to tell people where I grew up and I’ve often told people we have 4 seasons: winter, winter, winter, and road construction! ha!

Amy says

Arkansas

I don’t own any overalls or wife beaters or wear rollers in my hair.
    I’m not married to my cousin nor did I ever kiss one.
    I have all my teeth.
    Both me and my husband have college degrees, we are not ignorant.
    I don’t like to be barefoot outside.

I do have a southern accent sometimes. I say “y’all” and even use it in text messages.
    I did grow up hunting with my dad. I was 2 weeks old when I first went bc I was born on opening weekend.
    I grew up watching my mom “can” food from the garden.
    I drink my tea sweet
    If you don’t like the weather wait an hour it will change.
    We’re not all hicks.

I am from AR. I was born and raised in Northwest Arkansas. I specify because like TX different regions are totally different cultures!
    I do enjoy being barefoot but not as much as I like flip flops even though the weather isn’t really made like that.
    I am missing part of my front tooth as a result of a childhood accident but I do have a cap on it.
    It does feel like the family I married into is a natural one but I did NOT marry within my blood family.
    I can’t spell but that wasn’t the schools fault.
    I don’t have a deep southern accent and was actually asked once where I grew up while working as a carhop in AR.
    I do use rollers in my hair but would never go out of the house in them.
    I am a educated stay-at-home-mom with a degree in Psychology.
    I did grow up hearing entirely too many ignorant curse words, racial remarks, and random derogatory “hick” terminology but have never thought of any of it as normal or Christ-like.

I was really curious where, when and all that in AR did you serve doing mission work!?!

BethAnn says

I’m from PA. I live near Harrisburg, the capital that doesnt make it onto most globes (Philadelphia is apparently the only city in PA wothy of “globe status”). I’m not Amish, but do see them quite a bit. The one stereotype that comes to mind is about our roads, not our people. apparently PA has the worst roads in the continental US. I would agree with that actually, but the fact that there is endless road construction makes me wonder why our roads are the worst!!

Kirsten Lawrence says

I live in Bicknell Indiana! I have lived in Indiana my entire life! Here, almost everyone has a basketball goal (and it’s really neat flying over Indiana and seeing the goals from the sky! There are so many, it’s hard to miss!)! People usually say they are a Hoosier or a Boilermaker (I.U. or Purdue…personally, I’m cream and crimson!), however, a Hoosier is anyone native, or who lives in Indiana…even if you like Purdue…..PU!

I think Indiana is a humble state…at least from where I sit.

Rose says

I live in northern California. In a county famous for growing marijuana. We don’t all grow and smoke here. It is beautiful here. It is a great place to live.

JGolden6 says

South Carolina here!You get the best of everything:-) Mountains, flat lands, beaches. You want it we got it! We’ll even add in a ” slice of tea”! (We like it sweet around here!”)

Vanessa Gooch says

This was great, I learned a lot about the many States! I am a Canadian, so the typical stereotypes are we all live in igloos, we all get to work by dog sled, everyone loves or plays hockey, we like beer, and of course we say ‘eh’ all the time. Can’t say many are true, as I live in a house just like everyone else, own a mini van, not too much of a hockey fan (except when the Olympics roll around and it is the US vs. Canada :o)). I hate beer and yes I have said ‘eh’ before (I used to live in Michigan and they pointed it out–doesn’t everyone say it?).

Jean says

Pittsburgh, PA here! I agree with the comment from the fellow PA-er above…we have the worst roads ever and there are orange traffic cones and constructions signs everywhere you look! Other than that, the people in the ‘Burgh are known for our wonderful Pittsburghese accents! ‘We’re gonna go dahntahn and worsh the cars after we red up our room n’at.’ :-)

Roxie says

I was born in Cal. My husband was military. We have lived all over the US and Japan. I have spent most of my childhood and now retired married life in Texas. I am not really fond of the Texas heat. If I could move north I would. I am in the Austin area.
    No picture of a Bush will ever be in my home. Gov. Perry came to our church a year or so ago and I excused myself to the bathroom while he spoke.
    My family is here. My grandchildren are all here. I will stay here till my husband retires (again) and we will buy a travel trailer and just move around…

Jennifer says

I’m from VA and the two questions I always get:
    That’s the same as WV right?
    So you live near DC?
    No and no. VA and WV are not the same state, not since 1863. Most of VA does not live like the DC area. I grew up 4.5 hours away. And while I did grow up in the area where the show Moonshiners was filmed, the majority of people from that area do not live like that.

Nova Scotia, Canada here. No igloo’s in these parts…buildings are the more or less the same as in the USA. I’ve never even seen a dogsled team in person and I haven’t ever tried lobster. And since I’m a Maritimer I will also add in that I’m not a sailor or a fisherman. However I do so “eh”… a lot! :)

。メルセデスベンツヘッダー排気上エ
    ポートしています

。おかげで9月
    “のドキュメンタリー映画に問題は、 “国民は、9月の広告雑誌の重要性を知っています。第二
    に、ストラップを調べて、
    それがチェーンや
    革で作られてい

ほとんどのこれらの企業を与える様々 なの垣間見ること新鮮なシーズン。過去にグリーに関する画像録音品質は主要なとインストールと検索は簡単。可能性がありますもを知っている代替次が起こるを途中クインですか? このメカニズムすることができますにとって実行クロノグラフ モデルブランドの。