So, We Did This Over Memorial Day Weekend

After 9 years in the same house and town, we put our house on the market.

{gulp}

It was a spur of the moment decision that we’ve been contemplating for years. We have loved our time in our nice community, but we’ve questioned if we should move since my first trip to Africa. We want to live without regrets, live cheaper and offer our kids a chance to grow up and go to school in an area that is a little more economically diverse.

But we have been blessed with the kind of neighbors who become life-long friends, so that part is going to be very hard. Not to mention the lack of cookies in my future.

With our trip to Africa just weeks away (and in the middle of brainstorming Mercy House future plans), I feel overwhelmed, but that seems to be our normal. I’m trying really hard not to morph in Crazy Lady trying to figure out how all this going to work out. But I’m confidant God’s got this, just like everything else.

Speaking of crazy…

I filled more than fifteen large trash bags full of donations and it felt amazing to purge. I’m not done. We’ve been tackling a few projects that we’ve put off (nothing like deciding to move to make you do things you’ve put off for years)…my hubby replaced a few broken fence posts early in the weekend. He put the old wood in our little outdoor fireplace we inherited from my parents.

We went from s’mores at 9pm to our deck on fire from just after midnight:

We have a lot to be thankful for! My hubby discovered the deck in eight foot flames and was able to put out the fire before the whole thing was destroyed (a propane tank lay a few feet away from the flames). We lost the railing and a bench.

So, the day we put our house on the market, we nearly burned it down. I’m looking for the sign in this. My hubby spent all day Sunday repairing the damage (so glad he’s handy).

God is already stretching me through this process of unknowns. I’m reminded that He is in control and to look for the beauty in life’s imperfections.

————————–

The lovely items above were sent to me by Dayspring as a part of their new Redeemed Indoor and Outdoor Collection:

{doormat and wall clock and beautiful mirror} I’m looking forward to hanging this doorknocker on a new front door. Somewhere.

Use code WATF30 for an extra 30% off price.

Comments

Kristen, I’m so PROUD of your family!! We put our home on the market 6 years ago … closed on Friday! We are free & homeless!! It was really hard to wait on God’s timing, but it was worth the wait! I hope you’ll follow our journey in Africa & Haiti the next year … we cherish your prayers!
    Love ya sister!

Yay for trusting God in new seasons, in new ways! One time years ago, after a 30 day “fleece before the Lord” house on the market season, I told my DH that “God would have to send someone to our front door with an offer to buy it”, and He did, that very day!!
    His timing is perfect, and you will see and feel Him move, and grow you in many ways as you honor Him! Yay!! I’m praying your house sells quickly, and His path for your life laid out clearly!
    I’m praying!!

Wow Kristen! Never a dull moment for you all. So thankful everything is ok and you caught the fire in time. I’ll be praying for your house to sell quickly as well as ours!

Just love all the action you have going over there… Your journey is unparalleled and I am wishing you all the very best!!!

So excited for you! Praying for God’s continued guidance and grace as you follow in service to Him. Our move to Africa has been a great adventure thus far (this marks our third month in Kenya)…I’m expecting you’ll be here one day as well. :)

We had a similar experience once. We keep our BBQ out on our front porch. My husband isn’t the best at cleaning it. One day he came in screaming fire, fire! Sure enough He had 6 foot flames coming off his BBQ . Amazingly enough none of our siding melted. All I managed to say was “well I guess I know what I am getting you for Father’s Day”. I hope your move and your trip go well.

7. Karen says

We are doing the same thing….after 16 years in the same house…. AND can’t believe the things we’ve done to get it ready to sell…AND the things we have purged.

Will pray for God’s clear direction for you today!

8. Deb says

Wow! I was thinking of Francis Chan and David Platt’s books as I read your post. What an exciting adventure and blessing for your kiddos to see your faith lived out in radical ways. It has been so neat to watch your blog over the years and see how your vision has changed, you are an amazing woman with an amazing family. You are an inspiration to moms that even from home, we can have an impact for Christ, you are my hero!

Wowsa, so much going on in your household. I wish you the best of luck selling your lovely home. Thank god your husband was able to put out the fire, and fix the damage.

How exciting! Honestly, I love downsizing. It’s kind of a habit I’ve developed that drives my husband crazy. Every move and every opportunity to travel, I find loads of things I’d rather live without. Praying you find just what you need exactly where you need it. Stay sane with those travel plans too.

11. Monika says

I started reading your blog just a few months before you went to Africa and loved it then. But then to see the change in you from that experience, I love it even more! I’m so thankful that your awesome hubby and children let their hearts be burdened also. Will pray with your for the sale of your house and once again, after reading your blog, I am leaving touched and inspired.

12. MaryAnn says

How exciting! You are constantly inspiring me–this time to do some serious de-cluttering. Is it okay if I act like we are moving? I’ll be praying for you and your family during all of your good “chaos.”

Guess what we did over memorial day weekend? Put a for sale sign in our yard as well. We’ve been tackling those same projects that have been lingering for years or what we’ve come to live with. Whittling it down. I’ll be praying for your house as I pray for mine. We are moving for some of the same reasons, mostly, though, because God said so. I’ve been reading your blog for some time and truly love the encouragement.

14. Jenn says

Selling a house is always an adventure. Last time we sold a house, we were two weeks away from closing and moving from PA to Alaska (we were going to find a place to rent once we got there) and found out we were pregnant with our oldest. So, we stayed in PA. A year later we said we’d continue with our plan to move to Alaska once the ice broke up there and again discovered we were pregnant with my boy child. So, we stayed in PA again. I told hubby we CANNOT plan to move for a while!! I don’t want to have another baby!!!! LOL!!

Seriously, it’s all in God’s timing….and I know you know that. :) Our prayers are with you and your family.

PS~ quite a few houses for sale in our area of PA! Nice mountains, cooler temps (tho, it’s been in the 90′s for a few days and we are melting!!!). We’d love a new neighbor!!! ;D

I love how you are deliberately arranging your life in order to help others. Most of us give here or there, but your mind seems focused on giving back. Thank you for doing what you do. It is very inspiring!

We’re right there with you … literally. We’ve been here for 9 years, and are now intentionally downsizing from a house/neighborhood we adore. We listed our home on Friday. The sign’s in the yard and we had our first showing tonight. We’re excited, even though our kids have mixed feelings. They don’t quite get the why. But, our desire is to live simpler, let my husband have an easier commute, be able to say No to extra jobs with more ease, and allow me to continue to work in ministry from home. I’m praying for you & your family, Kristen.

Another new mode is Motor combat, which plays like
    Mario Kart with Mortal Kombat characters and abilities.
    Each century is marked with a danger ranking, 10 being extremely
    dangerous and off limits. Earth Defense Force: Insect Armageddon
    is an upcoming third-person shooter game in which you are
    try to unlock weapons and Armor to complete 15 missions in 3 chapters.