Mercy House by the Numbers

Being in Kenya is surreal.

Holding babies and loving on girls we’ve prayed for daily feels so right. It’s like home away from home.

More than anything, I want you to experience this place, I want to walk you into this home and point out the baby toys you’ve bought and the blankets you’ve knitted and the goodness that has come from what you have done. I want you to see that every dollar you’ve given has gone to make the lives of those in extreme poverty and devastating trauma much better.

So, here’s Mercy House by the numbers:

How many cloth diapers does our home use in a day? 40+

280+ week (every baby has 18)

How many chickens do we have? 6

How many eggs do they lay a day? 3

How many roosters crow at 4:30 AM every morning? 2

How many mean chickens have we eaten so far? 1

How many lentils (known as green grahams) are consumed in a month? 1 million

How many pounds of meat (beef, chicken, liver, and fish) are consumed each month? 88 pounds

How big is one portion size for a healthy, breastfeeding mother? More than you can eat!

How many  breastfeeding mothers do we have? 8

How many products can a girl make in a day during the afternoon skills hours? 5 each

How loud are 8 babies crying at the same time? Very

How many bananas do our trees produce on the property? We have more bananas than you can imagine (and plentiful guavas and all our green vegetables come from the garden).

How many liters of milk do we haul from the local farmer around the corner each afternoon, boil it that evening to kill any bacteria, refrigerate it and then serve it for breakfast? 4 liters

How awesome is the weather in June in Kenya? It’s a high of 60, low of 50

How many dirty diapers have my kids changed? more than I have!

What is the average age of the girls in our home? 16 years

What are the ambitions of our girls? Two doctors, a newscaster, a tailor, a hairdresser, two teachers and a gospel singer

How much does it cost to run the maternity home every month? $6500 averages $406 per family (baby and mom) (25% of this amount is rent)

What percentage of our budget is being met by monthly commitments? 90%

How much of our support comes from individual online support? 95%

How many monthly sponsors do we have? Approximately 300 with the average being less than $20 a month

How many people does this amount support? Besides our 16 girls and babies, this amount supports 5 full time staff and 2 part time (who each support several family members)

How much did the clothes dryer we bought today cost? 487,000 shillings (Our girls and staff hand wash all the clothes, bedding, diapers, etc. We found that in the “cold” rainy months, it often takes cloth diapers several days to dry and the dampness causes horrible diaper rash. Today, we bought a dryer for the diapers. If you’d like to contribute towards this purchase or help buy a second dryer, we’d love to have your help!)

How many paid staff are in the US? 0

How much money do we need to raise for Violet’s necessary skin graph and repair surgeries so she can walk on her feet and not damage her toes any further? $7500 US dollars (surgery will be end of 2012)

How long is the lease in our current location? 5 years (we have just begun year 2)

How much it would cost to purchase the land and home we currently lease? $300-400,000 US (the cost of living in Kenya is extremely high)

How valuable is one life? priceless

Comments

I am so amazed at God’s faithfulness in this ministry. It warms my heart to see photos of your children helping these women and children. My heart swells with every update! Thank you!

I can’t tell you how many times one of our children have asked “Can we GO to Mercy House?” “Can we go there and visit them?”

Thank you for showing us by the numbers and please keep the photos coming until we can come there and see with our own eyes.

Love to Maureen and all the girls!

Debra Shepard Stanley says

WOW!! AMAZING!!! This just leaves me speechless!! I love Africa!!! Blessing to you and your family!!

I thoroughly enjoyed reading your post and looking at the pictures. As I looked at the young ladies, I said to myself, “These are the young ladies I pray for every morning.” Sometimes it’s hard to pray for people I don’t know, but seeing their photos helps a lot. God bless you ALL!

Linda

• 8.1

AmberK says

Rita, I’m sure someone else could give you more of her story but what I know is that she was burned in a fire. She’s a tough momma! :)

• 8.2

kristen says

Violet came to us in January from the burn unit of a hospital where she spent 2 months.. It was a criminal act and I hope she feels comfortable to share her story publicly one day (it’s all pretty fresh still). Doctors who saved her life discovered she was pregnant…

Amazing, increadible work God is doing through you and the supporters of this ministry!! Woohoo! Praise the Lord! Praying for you all!!

celina boulanger says

when you get back please post a new updated wish list (with amazon links ;) ) and run a new sponsor drive… i think you’ll get tons of support yet again…

Carol Darden says

All these pictures warm my heart so. I love seeing the happy babies, but even more, the smiles on these beautiful, young mothers. God is SO amazing and SO faithful.

Wow. God is amazing!!!

… and what happened to Violet? Did I miss that post???? Is there a special fund for her surgery????

Blessings,
    Melanie

• 12.1

kristen says

We haven’t told the details because it’s too soon, but we hope to share her story one day soon… And yes, we will be raising money for her surgeries!

Esther says

It brought tears to my eyes to see the AMAZING hand of God at work in their lives. God bless you for reaching out to these girls and giving them hope. Thank you for sharing this with us.

You and all that your ministry is doing has inspired me!!! The Lord is calling us on an undeveloped ministry path and I’ve been freaking out about it but following your blog these last few months and reading all that you’ve been doing for these girls and their babies has inspired me. We’d like to be a part of your ministry so when you get back email me and we’ll see how we can make that happen. God bless!!! THANK YOU!!!

Jamie Garcia says

You guys need a clothesline! actually quite a few of them!

Love seeing the babies and mamas, thank you for taking such good care of them in the name of our Lord.

What happened to Edith and Hawi? Hawi reminded me so much of our first daughter, really broke my heart in two.

Hopefully we are putting clothesline up this weekend! Edith and Hawi are doing amazing. Check out my newest post for an updated (beautiful) pictures!