Why We Aren’t Meant to Know the Future

It was just an innocent question. It came from someone I didn’t know. Or better, someone who didn’t know why on earth I founded a maternity home in Kenya, Africa.

Fair question.

My short answer: God kind of tricked me into it.

Kidding. Sort of.

She wanted to help me with strategic planning, big picture, longterm sustainability, non-profit management.

Y’all: I had no idea what she was talking about. And then the question:

“What is your plan to keep this going?” She motioned to the picture of sixteen people I love on the other side of the world.

I smiled and said, “This is all a miracle and none of it was my plan and I honestly don’t know.” I said the words with a confidence that spoke of the supernatural, but when it hit me like a ton of bricks in the middle of the night, I only felt the natural.

How will I keep this going? How did a small yes turn into $150,000 + a year and  dozens of lives looking to me for direction?

I got out of bed and started crunching numbers, looking through notes of a new project and future development, and everything ended with a big question mark.

I tossed and turned myself back to sleep and woke up hung over with the heavy burden that comes from trying to see into the future and not being able to.

Then I opened my Jesus Calling devotion to these words, “I did not design the human mind to figure out the future. That is beyond your capability. I crafted your mind for continual communication with Me. Bring Me all your needs, your hopes and fears. Commit everything to My care. Turn from the path of planning to the path of Peace. “

Humble yourself under God’s mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time. Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you. 1 Peter 5:6-7

And I felt Jesus calling me (again) to give it to Him. We aren’t meant to know the future. We are meant to live in such close communion with Him that He makes the future known, one step at a time.

I love these words by Corrie Ten Boon–

“Never be afraid to trust an unknown future to a known God.”

I don’t know. I’m saying it out loud and would wear it on a t-shirt if I could.

When this updated picture landed in my inbox this week, I took a deep breath. I couldn’t help but grin at those beautiful sassy faces. I touched each one, leaving smudges on my screen.  I couldn’t stop the tears as I prayed over each girl and her baby.

I still don’t know how I’m going to keep it all going.  But that’s usually the best place for God to show up.

Are you facing the unknown in life? Technically, we all are, we just have the illusion of control. Let’s say it together. I don’t know. Group Hug.

But it’s okay, we’re not supposed to.

He’s given us a hope and a future.

Comments

1. L says

Just wanted to say thank you!, totally needed this tonight. We are facing the huge unknown of where our next duty station will be and the possibility of something very exciting and much needed for our family (the chance to live close to extended family). We were supposed to find out last week but the “find out” date got moved to the end of this month (God is testing my patients and I am trying to just take deep breaths and know we will know in His time not ours). Your words constantly come at a time that I need them most.

2. Trista says

I cannot even begin to tell you how much I needed your words today. Our family is trying to make some decisions that will affect each one of us. It has been hard making these decisions because we don’t have that crystal ball to tell us everything will be alright. We have turned it over to God and asked for guidance from him. Sometimes we get lost when we think too hard about it. Thank you for sharing your faith with us today. It really spoke to me.

Kristen, thank you. I needed these words this morning as we are exactly one week away from our cross-country move and I am starting to feel overwhelmed at everything that needs to get done and everything we don’t know (like where we’re going to live until we find a house!).

4. amy says

Your words today are so soothing and much needed. My situation is different but unknown just the same and I struggle with the unknown. Thank you for this post!

5. AmberK says

GROUP HUG!!! :)

Dayspring has a garden stone that reads “It’s not leading if you don’t let me go first. Love, God” I LOVE IT!!
    Kristen, You’re prayed for so often and so big! God’s got your back…He loves those girls and those babies more than we could ever imagine! My heart leaps for joy every time I see them … and yet God’s heart does so much more than that! It bleeds for them and YOU and all His little children. WE ARE His little children. Why do we think we are so big? We are weak and He is STRONG! :)
    Hugs to you, hugs to all of you…Group hug!! :)

Thank you for your honest, encouraging and heartfelt words. There are many unknowns in all our lives and we all must continually release to God that which we never had in the first place.

Megan

7. Elizabeth says

Oh Kristen, I got tears in my eyes watching that video. To think that those beautiful babies might never have been…thank you…thank you for being obedient to His calling despite how very hard it is, and thank you for allowing us to join in this journey with you!

I appreciate your post. I wrote about trusting God and not trying to plan or figure out the future and details on my blog today. I didn’t go into detail, but it was great to see you say the same thing too. How can we figure it all out? And I love how God does with every detail. On the way home today I was listening to Steven Curtis Chapman’s song “Speechless.” And that is how I always feel when I see what God does in our lives and how he shows His love to us as we try so hard some times on our own.

9. Beth in the City says

We thought we were moving – and it didn’t work out. Things like what you wrote are such fabulous reminders of God’s plan and control.. I’m trusting Him, and I keep reminding myself. This level of trust was hard won, I don’t want to loose it. Thanks for sharing.

Group hugs welcome here! We are selling our house and moving to Colorado. There are so many questions I don’t know the answer to right now it’s silly.

11. Vanessa Gooch says

Beautiful and timely! We felt God’s calling to stay here for a Ministry, however it has been a constant roller coaster of ups and downs. Financially we have no idea how we are going to make it, whether we are supposed to be here ‘long term’ or just for a time. Not to mention the emotional stress. Getting calls a two in the morning, dealing with the array of problems and issues these young kids face and somehow trying to balance ministry with family life. I hate the unknowns…I am a planner, a list maker, a goal setter. It really is not the way that I had ‘planned’. Thanks for sharing, thanks for being obedient to God’s calling for your life and for being a living testimony as to how we are supposed to live our ‘God’ planned lives.

12. Jennier says

This is great! God has been leading us through some things for the last 2-1/’2 years and am still learning to trust Him even though every need has been taken care of. It can be scary when you have no control over what tomorrow brings. One night something happened with our kids totally out of character, it was the last straw, I just said “I know nothing, nothing at all, I’ll scream it from the rooftops!” He never fails ;)