‘Tis the [Hunting] Season

For Thanksgiving, we traipsed thru the woods to Grandma’s farm (a poetic way of saying we drove 8 hours in crazy traffic in a minivan that smelled like tween feet and oranges). I love fall and winter at the farm. It’s cold and crisp on the outside and cozy on the inside with food that brings back memories of childhood.

Plus, it’s just plain beautiful:

I’m a city girl, but I love a dab of farm life. I love picking pecans from under enormous trees with my family (my husband comes from a long line of gatherers), cracking them for snacks and fresh pecan pies. I love that while vaccinating the bull in the pasture, my father-in-law catches my kids up on their shots.

Ha. Totally kidding about that. We just keep them in here for fun.

My husband and I got up with the sun Thanksgiving morning and hiked down to one of his parent’s ponds. We spooked a flock of Canadian geese and they skid across the still water and made their V formation in the sky above us. We walked to another pond and saw a gorgeous bald eagle swoop and scatter a flock of mallards.

“You know I’m going to have to bring him down here to hunt,” my husband said of our 10-year-old son.

We talked about our boy’s Christmas list. There are 3 things on it:
1. A pocketknife
2. A rifle
3. A compound bow

And we laughed again at our son’s statement: “Dad, I just want to kill something.”

I’ve never been or had a 10 year-old-boy before and I’m a little afraid. This is normal right? He’s sort of got a one-track mind right now.

Duck Dynasty marathons are not helping.

So, the boys headed down to the pond and did whatever hunters do. They came back chilled to the bone and empty-handed.

But not if you asked my son…..”Mom, I got so close to killing a duck today!”

His dad gave me a knowing smile across the room and I said, “Why because you had a gun in your hand and there were birds in the air?”

“Yes,” he said, starry-eyed.

He’s got it bad.

My husband grew up hunting and can’t wait to give his son his first rifle. I’ve been saying he’s not old enough yet.

Then he found this photo of his daddy (my husband) at Grandma’s house:

I need a new excuse.

Guess who’s enrolled in Hunter Safety Classes this weekend?

The neighborhood deer don’t stand a chance. ‘Tis the [hunting] season.

How was your Thanksgiving?

Don’t forget about this.

Comments

Haha! I can totally understand. My son is 9, and he is a hunter through and through. We were playing 20 questions on the way home, and, after he learned it was a mineral, his next question was, “Can you kill something with it?”

I had the very same, ‘Is this normal?’ thought right about then!

Great pictures!

I get it. I’ve never been a 10-year old boy either. But I have 2 boys, 9 1/2 and 11. My hubby read Wild At Heart. I read Raising a Modern Day Knight. We’re going with teaching them how to use weapons/tools and giving them increased responsibility as part of one day launching godly young men. Sometimes I see my little boys and have to trust my hubby. Sometimes I see the young men my boys are becoming and my heart is so proud. The kids got their first pocket knife on their 8th birthday (Swiss Army). They get a pellet gut at 10. And this year my oldest boy turned 11 and he went shooting with my hubby and my brother.

3. Kathryn says

I grew up in an area where kids hunt as soon as they can walk…well, not really but it seems like it! Now we live in Colorado, and people seem shocked at the idea of their young children handling guns. We don’t hunt, but my daughter will be in Hunter’s safety courses as soon as possible, just because it is so important for her to know how to handle a gun if it came up. We can keep her safe from our rifles and shotguns, but not from other people’s!

4. Kit says

My 9 year old son hasn’t asked to hunt yet but he does “play guns” a lot and reads books about weapons. That does seem normal to me, more normal than my 4 year old daughter who recently asked her daddy, “Do you have a gun?” My husband said, “is this a joke?” “no, it’s not a joke, dad! I want to kill……. some animals. To make meat. I like meat. I think eating a deer would be good. or maybe an eagle.” That girl cracks us up!

My boys are 10 and 6 and both of them have .22 rifles. They haven’t been hunting, but we try to go to the gun range several times a year for practice and fun. :)

Same story here, sister. My almost 11 year old is obsessed with the thought of hunting. Our neighbor and his son (a year older) go, and he’s killed his first deer.

This year at Thanksgiving, we went to my parents house, where my husband and 2 youngest boys headed straight to the woods for target practice, with a .22 rifle. Nobody saw them until the food was ready.

Turns out Homeboy is quite a good shot (like his mama, ahem).

Guess what he’s getting for Christmas?

7. Daisy says

Our kids, (boy, boy, girl) start by going to watch Dad hunt at age 7 and 8. At 9 they get their first gun and get trained and put in lots of hours at the gun range and go hunting with Dad right beside them. Dad will field dress he first deer, but they have to help with all the others. Our oldest (12) has gotten a deer every year, the 10 year old has not had any luck yet. We’re a little worried that our girl won’t be able to shoot a big enough rifle to kill a deer at age 9 because she is so petite, the gun will knock her over and make her flinch, so we started taking her to the range this year – at age 8. She is very determined. They are all a good shot. And venison is yummy! It’ll be ok, momma, it’s normal.

8. LoneStarLifer Paula says

I have a 15 yr old son who has been asking to learn to do archery, shoot and hunt for ages. Neither I nor my hugs knew anything about this, and I fought it for so long. After doing some Googling, I found that 4-H has shooting clubs that teach archery, gun safety and competition for both archery and shooting. At least this way he is learning it all correctly, and he loves going to the archery range on weekends to practice. Check with your county extension office to see if anything is offered in your area!

And P.S. My son’s Christmas list looks much like your son’s!!!!

9. Kimberly says

I love Thanksgiving on the farm! Where else can you have a trashcan turkey, hayride, pigroast, drive a Cabota, and have a shootout with cans and a .22? And my Dad’s a large animal vet so we update the kids with the horses ;) also kidding

10. Jenn says

I grew up a city girl….my hubby grew up as a hunter’s son. When we were still dating, hubby taught me how to shoot and our kids (ages 4 and 5) have been around guns since they were in the womb. We take them to the fields and to our family’s farm to shoot. We hold the rifle since they are too small to do that, but they are taught were to put their hands and how to handle it. They are shown how to use the sites to aim and they are the ones who aim and pull the trigger. Every year for my son’s (4 years old right now) birthday, my husband buys him the monthly knife special from Black Horse Knives. They make EXCELLENT knives! Our son isn’t allowed to play with them, but they will be waiting for him for when he IS old enough to handle them on his own. For now, my hubby sits with him and lets him hold the knives, shows him the proper way to handle them, and lets him slice paper with them. You might find it interesting that my son’s preschool teacher’s oldest daughter (7 years old), just took her first buck yesterday….completely on her own. A really nice 6 point.

…and for Thanksgiving, we shot at cans of explosives and blew them up. …..we have it on video. LOL!!