A Marriage Recycled

I’ve never been a good recycler. I aim high with my recycle bins and fabric grocery totes, but since I’m usually multi-tasking and running behind, I generally remember to recycle after the fact.

It’s just not my ministry. Ya know?

But I love recycled things. Go figure. I’m glad someone is responding to the high calling. I love love love trash to treasure stories.  From Mercy House to my marriage, I’ve learned to view God as the ultimate recycler. He is the master of taking rubbish and redeeming it.

This month my husband and I are celebrating 18 years of marriage. I’ve written about our testimony and I’m so thankful He transformed the garbage of our lives into something for His glory. Our marriage isn’t perfect, but it’s evidence of God’s hand.

One of the things I love most about recycling? You get something new. There’s still a trace of the old, but when it goes through the fire, something different, often better is created. After God recycled our marriage, 7 years ago now, we took my engagement ring, wedding band and an anniversary band and had them melted down. The three pieces were beautiful and I loved them, but we both wanted a new ring to represent our new marriage. But my original set was very special and we wanted to keep it.

A local jeweler crafted one new gorgeous ring from the materials of my 3 separate rings. It was the same, but completely different, better, just like my marriage. And that’s exactly what God is able to do in your marriage too.

When my friends over at Union28 sent us their new new shirts, I smiled. I love knowing after all these years my marriage STILL rocks; It’s getting better with age because God is the ultimate recycler.

Want to see my new (old) ring, click here.

______________________________________

Does your marriage still rock? Get the t-shirt or tote to prove it! Union28 is helping us celebrate 18 years with these awesome new Recycled shirts. Use Code: U28MMSR20 This code is an exclusive offer just for WeAreThatFamily readers!  It’s good for 20% OFF 2 or more Regular-Priced tees & will be valid Thursday & Friday (12/6 & 12/7).

Comments

love the idea of the new ring. love love love to read words that capture living marriages. i know too many dead ones. headed over to check out the shirts. because we rock.

Megan G. says

We have probably not been married long enough yet for the “still” shirts. But I’m making a mental note – maybe after our 10 year anniversary! They’re super cute.

Love the story about your rings. I might steal that idea someday.

I love reading about this because it is something I have been thinking about doing as well. My rings do not fit and I just can’t trust that my fingers will lose weight enough for me to put them back on.

hey friend…i hear you…top to bottom. inside and out. 18 years for us this year and God has proven himself a miracle worker. bought the tshirts for a christmas gift. thanks for link! xoxo, lisa

Thank you for sharing all of your insights on marriage. I am so grateful for women like you who are so honest and open about the good and the bad things that come with sharing your life with another person. Your words are encouraging as I am a brand new wife and I look forward to my future with my husband and reading more of your wisdom on marriage and raising children.

SoCalLynn says

My husband and I are celebrating our 18th anniversary on Monday, Dec.10. We have been through a lot in our marriage, at one point I felt so absolutely hopeless and thought of leaving. But God had other ideas, and because of His work in my husband and me, and our trust in Him, we are HAPPILY married once again. Happy Anniversary to you and your hubby!

I absolutely love this. I clicked the link and immediately ordered shirts for my Mister and me. We’ll be celebrating 19 years of marriage this coming March. That’s a long time… but I know this- not only does my marriage still rock- it rocks more than it did when we were first marred. Gone is the blush of new love, instead, in it’s place is a mature love that weathers life’s storms together and grows stronger as we continue to daily commit to each other. I can honestly say that I love my husband more today than on that day I stood beside him and said, “I do.” Saying the words “I love you” now go much deeper because of all the years that are built up and under them. I know real love now that I didn’t know when I was a starry-eyed twenty year old bride. I didn’t have a clue. This love we have right here, right now is amazing because we’ve worked so hard for it. I anticipate that the next 19 years will continue to deepen and strengthen that love and commitment as long as we work on it together. How awesome is that?!

My partner and Istumbled over here from a different web address and thought I
    may as well check things out. I like what I see so i aam just following you.

Loook forward to exploring your web page for a second
    time.
    nike nfl jerseys cheeap china