Don’t Play in the Sprinklers and Other Truths

We all make mistakes. I think it’s good to learn from them. This impromptu shot was not one of them.
 Here’s what I learned last week:

1. (Truth #1) When you’re in a hurry and you pull out the big roaster pan to slow bake a giant pork butt, potatoes and carrots, you should check the pan to make sure it’s clean before throwing the full pan in the oven (see Truth #5).
  2. When you move into a house with a septic system, you should schedule an orientation right away (Truth #2). Because if you do all your laundry in one day for a family of five, you’ll overload the system which proves to be stinky (Truth #3). Oh and make sure your kids don’t play in the sprinklers! The water is um, recycled (Truth #4). Welcome to the country.
  3. Remember that roaster pan? (Truth #1) Everyone piled around the table for dinner and our Advent devotional and we ate delicious pot roast and start talking highs and lows of the day. About that time, we discovered a very large, slow-baked cricket that ended up on my husband’s plate, under a yam. He got an extra serving of protein and a new low for the day. (Truth #5) Dinner was over VERY quickly and nobody wanted to save leftovers.
  4. When you drop your kids off for midweek youth group after a dinner nightmare and sneak off to Starbucks for a quick date with your hubby, the church will call 15 minutes later to say your son is being seen by a medic for a head injury. (Truth #6)
  5. And with a staple to his head gash, you learn that’s why it’s never funny for kids to pull someone’s chair out from underneath them. (Truth #7)
  6. We should have made more of these people. (Truth #8)

2012 Christmas card photo:

photos by my friend, Suzanne Box Photography

Comments

Heather says

LOVE the photos! I also love the truths! You seriously have a very real and very funny life – you just can’t make this stuff up. If you handle it with half the humor with which you share it here, my hat is off to you, Mom!

Sharon B says

I’ve gotten a phone call like that. It wasn’t a head injury, though. My son had cut his finger (with scissors??!?!) during his scout meeting. I ran back over and took him to the Dr. to get stitches. Fun Times!!

Love the pictures!

Oh this is hilarious! Thanks for sharing! Sounds like those life moments when you have the choice to either laugh or cry and you choose to laugh. A lot.

Meagan says

Am I reading that right? Is that your Christmas card picture for NEXT year?? And i don’t even have THIS year’s done yet??? I need to get on the ball.

Natalie says

This is why I love your blog. The situations are totally different (mine involved burned smoking “all natural” poptarts, a giant goose egg, and the principal’s office) but I love reading about stuff like this. It helps me know I’m not alone and take some laughter and wisdom along the way.

Angela says

According to a friend who knows these things, the sprinklers are actually ok. There is (should be) a filter in the septic system that cleans the water before it is sent through the sprinkler. I still think it’s gross, but that’s what he told me last year when I started yelling at my daughter to get away from the sprinklers in my grandfather’s yard.

Heather M says

I vote for the first picture as your Christmas card…not that I get a vote…but it’s sooooo cute! :) Beautiful family!!!

Les cerveaux féminins qu’ils ont examinés avaient, en moyenne, corpus callosa avec plus splenia. Ce programme, j’ai probablement wouldn être un Gator en ce moment, a dit Lacoste, qui a été accepté dans le programme au cours de sa première année à l’UF. Ninth St.

En pocas palabras, estoy en el cielo vestido. En el futuro, todos serán hechos los uniformes en los Estados Unidos. Mientras que los diseñadores siempre estarán en Nueva York o Europa, la tarjeta dice, muchos trabajos técnicos designrelated probablemente se mueva en el extranjero.

El destino de sastrería a medida con sede en Mayfair, Londres es el hogar de los más grandes sastres que pueden transformar tu vestuario, apariencia y forma de pensar con unos pocos accesorios y un traje impecable.