{Getting Ready for Christmas in Texas}

A cold front is on it’s way. We hope for frigid air in the morning to turn our 80 degree weather into winter.  But Texans celebrate Christmas in all kinds of weather.

We light our Advent wreath each night, share a thought and a verse and are keeping it simple this year, trying to make it about Jesus.

I took my little one to sit on Santa’s lap, a favorite tradition. I have 12 years of pictures of my kids with jolly old St. Nick and I love setting the frames out each year to see how much my kids have grown.

My big kids couldn’t resist this year and when Santa asked my son what Christmas was really about, my 10 year old boy answered confidently JESUS. It made this momma proud.

But then when I heard Santa respond, “you better believe it! If it weren’t for the gift of Jesus, Santa wouldn’t be.” I smiled wide and thanked God for good men who help spread the good news.

My vintage Santa nesting dolls were a garage sale find from years ago:

Kenya Christmas corner:

Ahhh….

I hope it’s starting to feel like Christmas in your house, wherever that may be.

Tell me where you live in the comments and your favorite Christmas tradition.

Linking up here and to The Nester’s!

Comments

California: ) My favorite tradition is coloring pictures of the nativity and writing Jesus is the reason for the season on them. Then we get donut holes and chocolate milk and drive around looking for houses that display their nativity scenes in the front yard–and run up to the door to bless them with a home colored picture: ) My kids are 9 and 7 and they just love it–I love seeing their joy and the appreciation from the people who have the displays: )

Annette says

Minnesota! We just got a foot on snow yesterday!! Every year since my twins were babies we all go out to a tree farm and pick out a tree and chop it down! One year the kids picked out trees “just their size” and thought that’s what we were going to get for the Christmas tree! We then play Christmas music and decorate the tree. My almost 2 year old was very insistent on helping this year and very opinionated on which ornaments she wanted to put on the tree! It was hilarious.
    We also pick two or three charities to donate to and the kids are a part of it as well. It brings such joy to my heart to hear them talking about kids in need and wanting to help.

Jenn says

We live in Pennsylvania. Every year we drive to the area that I am from originally (about 2 hours away from where we live now) and go to a place called Koziar’s Christmas Village. It started out as the Koziar family decorating the outside of their homestead and then it kept growing, and growing. People started to ask if they could walk through their property to look at all of the decorations. Eventually, it got soo large that they started charging admission to it to help cover the cost of the electric. I LOVE it there. It takes over an hour to walk through it all and they built a new display every couple of years. We always go to see Santa there and my son’s favorite part is the ginormous indoor train display. We will be going to see it this Tuesday and I’m soo excited.

Karen says

We’re in New Brunswick, Canada and school’s cancelled today because of a snow storm! My nine year old loves to take Mary, Joseph and the donkey on a ” journey” to Bethlehem. Every day till Christmas, these three figures from our manger “travel” to a different spot around our living room, symbolizing their journey to Bethlehem. Their journey begins at the farthest spot from the manger, and gradually moves closer as Christmas approaches. I may have even learned about this idea from your blog…?

Amanda says

North Carolina :). It has been really warm here, too! I say bring on the snow!!! My kids are both under 3, but the Christmas tradition we love is making Jesus a birthday cake and eating it for breakfast Christmas morning (after we sing Happy Birthday and they fight over who gets to blow out the candle, of course!).

Crystal says

As the largest Christmas-tree producing state in the nation, one of Oregon’s best Christmas traditions is finding the perfect tree! :-)

Deidre says

Lubbock, Texas and we actually got a dusting of snow last night. We love to make christmas cookies and almond bark dipped pretzels. Also, we drive by one house in town that has christmas lights set to music (transiberian orchestra) and it is the highlight of our night looking at lights.

Melissa says

Yesterday was the day our church collected their Christchild Tree gifts; my sweet kiddos were so excited to carry their gifts in. Not one complaint among them (on six year old, one three and a half year old and one twenty three month old) as they handed their wrapped gifts over to the coordinators for the kids who would, according to my son (the oldest), otherwise only get their one gift from Santa without our help. So blessed I almost cried. More than once.

Texas (Houston area)…and one of my favorite traditions is decorating the Christmas tree as a family. Even our grown children return home for the event.

and now the cold front is here :( I was enjoying our weather much more last week! lol

I LOVE that “santa” said that!!! so awesome!

I’m thinking about doing santa pics next year just for the cuteness even though we don’t “believe” in santa. It’s cool to see I’m not the only one thinkinga bout that and that you are doing it!

love your decor! :)

merry christmas!

We just had our first snowfall on Sunday in SE Minnesota – breaking a 292 day streak without at least one inch of measurable snowfall. It was also the first time in which we saw at least four inches of snowfall in one day since February 20th, 2011! It’s been a dry couple of winters….so excited to see the snow…it’s finally starting to feel a little like Christmas!!

We have no hard fast traditions – I guess maybe that’s a tradition in itself!

Your home looks lovely and cozy….Merry Christmas!!

1. Hurray for TOMS.
    2. Thanks for posting this. We just moved to TX from upstate NY, and we’ve been having a hard time feeling the Christmas spirit between not knowing anyone and this darn weather. Your home looks so cheery and festive and chock full of memories. We look forward to making those kind of memories here. And thank you mostly for the reminder that Christmas is really about the gift of Jesus.

North Texas by way of CA. The freeze killed our poinsettias, but I’m loving it. Your home is lovely and full of memories. I hope to do the same with mine. My favorite tradition with my boys is adopting an “Angel” to help bring a little bit of joy to them during the holidays – we hope.

Lily says

I live in Hong Kong and am visiting you via the nesters tour of homes. Your home looks lovely and welcoming. I like your outside decorations, the wreaths look great. My favorite tradition is the opening of the chocolate advent calendar before breakfast. Yes I still have one even if I am a little too old (and so does Dh)!

Visiting from Washington State where we actually had a small amount of lowland snow instead of rain. Lights are my favorite part of the Holiday Season. I love your pallet above the fireplace.

Oh, I have to sneak around a bit more and see why you have a Kenya Christmas corner. :) My husband and I spent 4.5 years working overseas in missionary aviation, and while we didn’t make it to Kenya, we did live and work in several southern African countries (including Tanzania), and we have lots of mementos from our travels. :) Your home looks beautiful, and I LOVE the response of Santa. :) Merry Christmas!

Nancy says

Georgia Peach Girl living the good life on the lake in Wedowee, Alabama!! I was so excited to see your nesting santas. I have the exact same set purchased around 1992. Love the way you displayed them. Gave me new inspiration for my Santa collection of 100+. Merry Christmas.

I’m stopping by from the Nester’s 2012 Christmas Tour of Homes today. Your home is so comfortable and festive.
    I love all of your personal touches.
    Merry Christmas!