How to Inspire Your Children to Rock

Like most young people, my kids live in extremes. Some day they are extremely awesome and some days they aren’t. A lot like me, actually. But every day, we are all one choice away from changing the world.

Last week I introduced them to JoJo Rock, a 9 year old rapper, who wrote a creative arrangement of Amazing Grace to help raise money, so he could sponsor his own child and spread the word that Compassion sponsorship really works. (I completely agree).

I love this kid already.

Here’s the story.

I pulled my kids over to my laptop and shared this song with them:

My six year old said, “I want to do something like that!”

And she wasn’t talking about rapping.

World Changing. It’s the new black.

We sat down as a family and I shared four causes I knew of that had an immediate need. My kids chose to buy a sewing machine for someone in a third world country to start their own business and are planning a garage/bake/stuff sale. They are in charge!

Our kids rock, sometimes they just need a little inspiration from other world changers like JoJo and a little encouragement from us.

This weekend everyone brought ten things from their room to donate to the sale. It’s a small idea, big impact.

You can make a difference today: Would you help JoJo raise money to help his sponsored child?

All money from the sale of the song in iTunes is going to his sponsor child Charles who lives in Uganda.

I dare you to be inspired and encourage your kids to rock!

Comments

Erin H. says

Kristen, I just told my husband, I think you and your husband are amazing at teaching your children about the needs of the world, while also giving them what they need…and even some of what they want. It helped me to realize that we talk to our kids a lot about the world, but we don’t DO all that much. We are struggling with one child especially being selfish and somewhat entitled, so we know that we need to ACT. Thanks.

Thank you for sharing, Kristen! I don’t have my own kids, but I teacher 157 kids each year. This year, after sharing what charity: water (www.charitywater.org) does around the world, one of my kids decided she wanted to rally the school to raise $10k to build a well in our school’s name. They might not make it before the 90 day campaign deadline, but they have come together to have a family night at a local restaurant, have some friendly competition between lunch periods, and pull out the ice cream makers for a homemade ice cream/cookie fundraiser. I’ve provided space for the kids to meet, but this has been THEIR project, through and through. It’s a beautiful thing!

I’m a grown MK (missionary kid), wife, mother of a 19 year old — and continue to be awed and inspired by the moms and dads out there who are raising their kids to care for others, to love Jesus, to change the world. Praise the Lord for parents who “parent with purpose”. It is so encouraging to me. I’m also the wife of a police officer and find myself often overwhelmed with the “dirt” of this world that I see through my husband’s profession. It is easy to get discouraged when you are exposed to this on a daily basis.

I’m not sure how I found your blog, but I am so thankful I did. Parenting, no matter what the age of your children, is never-ending and I ask the Lord daily to give me the wisdom to inspire, guide and encourage my 19 year old daughter to love Jesus and to be a light in the darkness. I am so thankful that she is in love with Jesus.

Thank you for sharing your journey. Keep up the awesome work! :)

Some of the factors thought about in the prices happen to be:.
    If applied correctly though, the diamond tip Nu – Brilliance actually
    does do an incredible job of removing the unwanted dead
    skin from your own total body. It is just as effective as surgical dermabrasion procedures such as standard dermal abrasion
    and laser skin resurfacing.

Also, square footage and other factors can be added in.

Once the clients have agreed to hire a designer, the
    designer will need to survey the area and take
    measurements. A green interior designer will look to take
    an inventory of household products containing VOCs and look to replace these products with low-VOC
    or VOC free alternatives.

The third degree initiation of Anugraha Reiki involves
    the teaching of the esoteric use of important Reiki symbols that can be used for different means such as for astral projection, meditation, altering time or space, bridging the worlds of life
    and death, and easing the transition process. I have used Homeopathy
    for years, and in my particular case, it usually helps for first
    aid the quickest and the best. (Disclaimer: so I don’t get fined, locked in jail or shot by certain
    traditional Western medicine Fascists, I’m
    not a doctor and I’m not making any medical claims.

I TRIED FOR A COUPLE OF DAYS, WITH NO SUCCESS; STILL NO
    WORD FROM Michael Roberts. because if you continue to let your brain think
    that using exerceise and nutrition as ways to lose weight,
    or get in shape for summer, you’re going to really disappoint yourself Again. The next in the 20 greatest
    moments in sports history happened in the Mexico Olympics in 1968, when Bob Beamon created history by
    bettering the previous long jump record by a whopping two feet.