Well. That was something else.
Clearly, we need to talk more about how to raise our daughters in this world. I’m not an authority or expert (which is why I usually just tell my story and point to good resources), but I am a conservative Christian and I am not ashamed of how we choose to raise our girls in a world that often devalues them. I don’t expect everyone to agree with me (the road is narrow, after all).
I know when it comes to modesty, there are extremes: I won’t be sewing clothes for my daughters or making them wear a swimsuit that looks like a full body unitard. There also won’t be thongs or string bikinis in their drawers. But this isn’t just about modesty or what stores sell, it’s not about sex or singleness or feminism, it’s about choices we make and boundaries we lay as parents as we raise them in a world filled with degradation and objectification. It’s about loving our little girls and leading them by example. It’s about going against what our culture says is okay and trying to live more like Jesus.
And I’m the first to admit, I mess this up and I get lost in knowing how to navigate this journey, but I will not give up on my daughters or myself. And I remind all of us that, regularly.
I’ve compiled some great resources (mostly, Tween to Teen, some resources for under age 8) we’ve used and some that have been recommended. This is not a comprehensive list and I’m not getting anything in exchange for listing these items, books are Amazon affiliate links. (I am listing resources I would personally use) And it goes without saying (although I’m saying it since there are a lot of new readers here), the Bible is our ultimate resource. It is my daily go-to guide):
Books for Mom and Dad (Body image, modesty, sex, purity, boys):
- Preparing Your Daughter for Every Woman’s Battle (Teen)
- Five Conversations You Must Have with Your Daughter (Tween to Teen)
- Your Girl: Raising a Godly Daughter in an Ungodly World (Tween)
- Six Ways to Keep the “Little” in Your Girl: Guiding Your Daughter from Her Tweens to Her Teens (Tweent o Teen)
- Strong Fathers, Strong Daughters: 10 Secrets Every Father Should Know
Books/Magazines for Daughters:
- Perfectly Unique: Praising God from Head to Foot (Teen)
- Redefining Beautiful: When God Sees You (Tween to Teen)
- Graceful: Letting Go of Your Try-Hard Life (Older Teen)
- For Young Women Only: What You Need to Know About How Guys Think (Teens)
- Body Talk (Faithgirlz!) (Tween)
- Secret Keeper: The Delicate Power of Modesty (Tween to Teen)
- Before You Meet Prince Charming (Teen)
- BeTween: A Preteen Girl’s Guide to Life
Devotions to have with your Girls (Tween to Teen):
- The One Year Mother-Daughter Devo
- Devotions for the God Girl: A 365-Day Journey
- Girl Talk: Mother-Daughter Conversations on Biblical Womanhood
- The One Year Father-Daughter Devotions
- 8 Great Dates for Moms and Daughters: How to Talk About True Beauty, Cool Fashion, and…Modesty! (Secret Keeper (Harvest House))
Stylish Clothing Sites with Modest Choices for teens/girls:
Positive Girl Clubs/Groups:
- Britt Nicole
- Francesca Battistelli
- Jamie Grace
Websites for our Girls:
- A Mighty Girl: collection of books, toys and movies for smart, confident, and courageous girls