When God Says Wait It’s For a Reason

I’ve been tentatively walking thru open doors lately.

Some I didn’t have the courage to even knock on.

Oh, life.

But if I’ve learned anything the last 3 years, it’s this: chasing the heels of Jesus leads you into the unexpected, saying the little yes’ everyday, often leads to more opportunities and bigger yes’.

When I wrote about the real estate situation in Kenya, it was to educate current and future donors. But really, I wrote because it was an oppressive weight on my chest. It made me feel better to explain all the impossibilities of owning a permanent home to continue to help pregnant girls and young mothers at Mercy House.

But just days after I hit publish, we stumbled upon a house that was about the same size as the one where we pay high rent, but instead of being priced at 1 million US dollars (like our current home), it was priced at a fourth, $250,000.

After we checked into the house and did our research, we were able to get the asking price reduced by more than $65,000 (the owner loves the mission of our maternity home and needs to sell).

And while that was a steal of a deal in the steep Nairobi housing market, the bottom line price was still more than we had.

Here’s that place I often find myself: the crossroads of I can’t and He can. It’s an uncomfortable gap in the road of life and the only tangible way to bridge the two is faith.

So, I did what all good type A control freak mothers who run a non-profit in a developing nation do, I tried to figure it out on my own. Without getting into all the financials, I asked a trusted generous donor to loan us the difference in good faith that we would pay it back and we tentatively began to move forward.

But just like that, my carefully manipulated plans fell apart and the Mercy House Board gave me one word: wait.

wait

48 hours passed and nothing happened.

Except that I resisted the urge to visit a bank and email all the rich people I knew-which at the time took serious constraint. And I’m serious about that. Because even when you have the power to make things happen and go your way, it doesn’t mean you should.

Life lessons are hard.

I prayed and waited and as the sun set on the third day and the window of opportunity began to close, God showed up in way I didn’t expect or anticipate. It was big and beautiful and I cried knowing I almost missed a chance to see the Hand of God move.

Because instead of providing a loan, He gave us a gift.

When God says wait, it’s not because He’s not there, it’s because He’s getting ready to show up. We often miss it because we get in a hurry.

“This is how God works. He puts people in positions where they are desperate for his power, and then he shows his provision in ways that display his greatness.” David Platt

Not only did He provide the immediate cash I wanted to borrow, He reminded me (again) what He’s able to do–exceedingly, abundantly more and this –this– renews and strengthens the weary (raises hand) to keep going.

Yet those who wait for the LORD Will gain new strength; They will mount up with wings like eagles, They will run and not get tired, They will walk and not become weary. Isaiah 40:31

We are doing due-diligence, carefully navigating and negotiating the purchase of a 3,500 square foot residence in Kenya to house a dozen or so girls, plus their babies (phase 1). This is a small part of the big picture God is revealing to our slowly expanding organization.

I don’t know what the final outcome will be, God may close doors and open others, but I am confidant He will do something amazing.

If I wait and let Him.

Comments

Kristen,

I needed to read this right now. I can’t tell you how this has encouraged me. When our adoption fell apart, I sensed God telling us to wait, but in the months since my heart broke, I’ve wallowed in the uncertainty of now and I have not waited well. I’ve searched and looked and cried and asked and cried and begged and cried and talked and…well, mostly I’ve cried.

But I haven’t waited. I want a child. I was ready to get her yesterday. I am afraid of waiting. But I know I need to wait. God has been speaking to me, but I haven’t listened. Thank you for this reminder. Thank you for your faithfulness and for letting us watch as God works His miracles through you and Mercy House. I am awed and humbled by Him and His work through you. Thank you for sharing this.

oh this is so good. so true.
    we are currently waiting on the Lord to provide whatever is next. the past few months have been the hardest and yet some of the best, due to that waiting. He knows what we need and always provides.
    thanks for sharing this today!

Heather S. says

The most amazing blessings in my life all followed a season of “wait,” Kristen. Your words are so true – wait is not God putting us off, not caring, or not being there….in fact, now when God tells me wait I realize I need to get ready because my God is about to put on a show!

Thank you for sharing this. I was holding my breath as I read – did the money come?? – and of course it did. Of course it did! And if it didn’t, He would provide another way. I know that, but oh how often I need to be reminded. Thank you for sharing your inspiring and educational journey here. You are helping so many!

celina says

i KNEW it was going to happen, i told you i had enough faith for both of us…..I pray it works out, ….it is HIS plan after all…

we’ve been tossed from one place to another, moved and moved and moved…now to the usa….and we keep repeating and praying and repeating…it is HIS plan…it is HIS plan…and we’ll land where we are meant to be…

Kristen,

The stories of you and Mercy House stir my soul like few others. Keep telling them, so you will remember and “we” all can know.

Love you.

Oh my goodness; this is beautiful. So glad for you! And for them, and for Him … ahhhh, the amazing grace and goodness of God.

Getting ready to share my own beautiful surprise gift story–wait, who am I kidding?–trying to find the time to type out my own beautiful surprise gift story–and reminded again by yours that there are more coming, and waiting is good sometimes.

Lord, help us all!

Kristen, you blow my mind. It’s like you’re a picture of what I could be in 10 years if I just follow God’s leading and obey. So excited for this — I was just praying about it yesterday on my run!

Sarah says

…And if our God is for us, then who could ever stop us
    And if our God is with us, then what could stand against…-Chris Tomlin

Praise God, what a wonderful story. Thank you for that valuable insight – “Because even when you have the power to make things happen and go your way, it doesn’t mean you should.” That one hit me hard. I will need to spend some time in prayer finding out why!

Kristen, I can’t fully express how deeply this speaks to me right now. We are currently waiting. God has called us to Brazil to work with the street children. According to the Brazilian Consulate, it takes 2-3 months to get a volunteer visa. It’s been over 4 months since we applied. My husband stopped working at the end of 2012, because that was when we anticipated moving to Brazil. We know that God has us waiting for a reason, but it is so tempting to take things into our own hands. Thanks for the encouragement to continue waiting on God!

Jenn says

i did need this right now.
    my husband and I are trying to move out of country to be closer to my family and a better job.
    2 days ago we got word that his visa was denied.
    now what. we have a buyer for our business, and a awesome job offer right by my parents.
    now we wait.
    again.
    God IS going to show up yet, I just know he will.
    for sure after reading this.

I’m totally in tears over this post! so thankful for the way God always comes through…and needed that reminder myself for today.

I am humbled to say that this has happened to me, to my family, over and over again. And every time, it is like the first. I’m undone by the generosity of God that is far beyond my limited comprehension. He is good, so good when I don’t deserve it. What a lovely story. Thank you for sharing it. I’ve been to Nairobi, have friends spread out all over Africa, they inspire my faith.

Kathryn @ Expectant hearts says

Kristen, I have followed you for a long, long time. I dont’ comment often. But I read. And I cry. And I pray And I hope. and I thank you so much. While we were waiting, our son died. He got to go to Heaven. And I wait. I have a very hard time believinThank you for helping me hope.

• 25.1

This breaks my heart, Kathryn. I don’t understand waiting like this. But I know that you’re aren’t alone. Praying Jesus holds you close.

Waiting is exactly what we learned the most in our 6 years in Mexico. So many times, if we had gone ahead with what others wanted us to do, we would have gotten into big trouble (there was enough of that without more:-). We learned to wait on God, He always has a plan and usually it requires us letting go of our plans and waiting for Him to show us His plan. Waiting is NOT a popular concept in the USA:-) We are taught to make things happen, go for the gusto, God can’t steer a parked car, etc. Even pastors teach us to do, rather than to wait. There is plenty of work to do without going ahead of God. We must learn to wait on Him – and this was a good reminder as we are now in the college planning stages with our son who is a senior. We expected him to receive wrestling scholarship offers after placing at State Championships, but he injured his knee 9 days before state. But we know this didn’t take God by surprise or change His plan. Now we just have to find His plan for our son going forward and for now, it is a time of waiting to see God work.