Quiet Faithfulness and Its Reward

He gets up at 4:30 a.m. most mornings, gets dressed in the dark, returns from pushing his body to its limits with Crossfit in his fight against diabetes. I start my day nearly 2 hours later, often to the bath water he runs for me or the sound of him making school lunches.

I am married to a good man.

We met in Bible College more than 20 years ago. I married a Pastor, we served The Church together the first nine years of our marriage.

When we left full time ministry nearly a decade ago, we were desperate for a break and a breakthrough. We ended up discovering a whole lot of brokenness. While we loved working together (offices next door and some killer youth illustrated sermons and vacation bible schools), our glass house needed some attention.

So we quit the only thing we knew how to do.

And spent the next five years finding Jesus in the broken places.

faithful

What started out temporary ended up being transforming and more permanent than we could have imagined.

Those first 5 months out of ministry were like a breath of fresh air. They were also terrifying. We were jobless and homeless (staying in a family member’s rent house). On the sixth month, my husband got a job offer.

He took it and has had the same job for 9 years and 4 months. That’s sort of a long break. And I’m pretty sure we can’t call it a break any longer.

So, this pastor-turned-sales-rep reinvented himself. He is smart and hard-working. And his daily faithfulness to the mundane takes my breath away.

My husband’s dedication to his secular job is the only reason we were able to start Mercy House three years ago. His hard work and consistency provides for our family, and has offered me the freedom to serve without being paid.

I’m still married to a pastor. He shepherds our family. He prays with co-workers and shines Jesus in his work. He is a light in our dark world. He spends evenings and many weekends quietly serving in the work of Mercy House.

It has been a hard road. One with turns and obstacles we didn’t expect.

“Life is not a straight line leading from one blessing to the next and then finally to heaven. Life is a winding and troubled road. Switchback after switchback. And the point of biblical stories like Joseph and Job and Esther and Ruth is to help us feel in our bones (not just know in our heads) that God is for us in all these strange turns. God is not just showing up after the trouble and cleaning it up. He is plotting the course and managing the troubles with far-reaching purposes for our good and for the glory of Jesus Christ.” -John Piper

But Jesus has been with us down every path. And as we dream of the future and ask God for direction, His invisible hand guides us. For His glory.

Hindsight is enlightening. God rewards faithfulness. Here’s what I’m learning:

• God uses our brokenness for His purpose
  • What He puts back together, heals stronger.
  • Loving people is a full time ministry (title, position, pay, not necessary)
  • God plots our course for His glory.
  • There are setbacks and tragedies in our journey.
  • But there are also rewards (and sometimes they look like Hawaii!)

[P.S. We just found out that after nearly 10 years on the job, my husband earned a once-in-a-lifetime trip for two to Hawaii in August for being one of the top 10 sales reps in his company.. We are going to Hawaii!]

Comments

YEAH! WOOHOO to your husband for working so hard at the work the Lord has provided for him to do, for his good stewardship of the body God gave him, and for caring so well for the woman and children God placed in his care. And good for you for celebrating him here like this! :)

Karen says

What an awesome post honoring your husband!!!! Way to speak great words over him!!!!

Congratulations to him (and you) on the Hawaii trip!!!!!

Rejoicing with you! Praise God for good men and for good marriages!

Hooray for your trip to Hawaii! What a blessing that will be for you and your marriage. God is faithful.

This is such an important message in our culture that is so focused on instant gratification.
    It is also a reminder to me to again say “thank you” to my hardworking husband whose (in your words) “daily faithfulness to the mundane takes my breath away.”

Angela says

We just had a similar trip to Czech Republic. Just the two of us (though he had to work, too). The first time in over 10 years I had days to myself to rest, shop, study, whatever I wanted to do. Plus meeting new friends I know were hand-picked by God, and open doors for hubby’s profession.
    Have a great time of refreshing!

Bec from Melbourne says

This Hawaii trip comes at a good time – you sounded quite weary recently and I am pleased that you can enjoy this time away together.

Oh wow – Congratulations! I was going to comment on the beautiful honesty of this post, but now I’m all excited for you about Hawaii! You two are an inspiration. Thank you for sharing so much of your story with us.

That is a beautiful post and a wonderful testimony! Your posts often make me stop and take a mment to think and to pray, this one was no different.
    Congratulations to your hubby on winning the trip to Hawaii and have a blast!

Oh how exciting!! What a fun kiss from The Lord to you guys. I love everything about this story. Your hubby is absolutely still a pastor. So blessed by how The Lord has led y’all.

Amy says

I am enjoying reading your posts. My husband also left the ministry after 10 years and has now been in marketing for five. I am just starting my writing journey and have a book proposal with an agent right now. We have two boys and I know I am going to love following your story. Congrats on the Hawaii trip! Sounds like we have a lot in common.

Congratulations! God has His own special ways for rewarding willingness and faithfulness. What a special treat! I can’t wait to see pictures. Thank you for sharing on your blog.