What I’m Reading This Summer

We are heading out for a few glorious days at the beach. We are driving to the nearest coast and collapsing in some sand. I am realizing just how badly we need to get away –because Galveston, Texas ain’t exactly known for post cards. But there’s water and sand and relaxation and no complaints around here.

read

I am bringing a bag full of books. I’ve started all of these (multitask much?) and am anxious to read and relax.

Here’s what I’m reading this summer (click the cover to buy a copy):

Cleaning House: A Mom’s 12-Month Experiment to Rid Her Home of Youth Entitlement:: This book intrigued me and I just pulled it out of the mail last week. I think the title says it all. Can’t wait to dig in.

A Little Salty to Cut the Sweet:: Boomama makes me laugh and just a few pages in, her book is full of sentimental stories and a lot of chuckles.

There You Will Find Me {Beach Reading}:: My niece gave this inspirational young adult book to my daughter while she was cooped up in bed from her oral surgery. She read it in 2 days and bought the next one on Kindle for $3. They talked me into reading it…perfect easy reading for the beach!

The $100 Startup:: I bought this book for my husband who gets the entrepreneur itch every once in awhile. Who doesn’t love the idea of starting something for a $100?

At the table

Dinner time is our family time to talk and read together. Here’s what’s on the our table this summer:

Running for My Life :: My husband read this book in two days and couldn’t put it down. He said it was amazing and an unimaginable story of survival and faith from one of the Lost Boys of Sudan.  I can’t wait to get started. It’s up next for our read around the table with our kids.

End of the Spear :: This isn’t a new book, but after recently hearing Steve Saints testimony after a life-changing injury, I was reminded of this great man’s unbelievable story. I’ve seen the movie and I can’t wait to read the book with my family. A friend sent it to me and said it reads like Robinson Crusoe.

My Life: A Guided Tour :: My dad read this autobiography (of the man who started Tyndale Publishers and wrote the Living Bible) during his recovery recently and couldn’t put it down. He said he cried like a baby. I can’t wait to dig into it!

What is your must-read of the summer?

[These affiliate links will take you to Amazon, my favorite place to buy books]

Comments

Neat connection, I know the granddaughter of the author of The Living Bible. Amazing story, that he actually wrote it for his kids (of which her dad was one.)

Enjoy your vacation! Much needed!!!!

Susie says

Have you “liked” Steve Saint’s company (ITEC) on Facebook? His quote the other day was so good!

“No one took my father’s life. He gave it.” – Steve Saint

Marie says

I have way to many books to read! but I just started making time for reading this past year after not reading for over 10 years!!! With three little’s it’s hard to find time.
    But I did just finish Sparkly Green Earrings and The 5 Love languages of children.
    On my list to read is You’re made for a God-sized dream, Unglued, Be the Mom, The Resolution for Woman, and Mended.

Karen says

Thanks for this list. There are several new ones that I will be checking out! I just read “The Invisible Girls” by Sarah Thebarge. It was GREAT and I finished it in one night! (YES, I stayed up WAY too late!)

Enjoy the sun and sand!

Tonia says

Great list. Now I want to read them all as well. Cleaning house sounds like something we need in this family. I try to avoid the entitlement culture, but somehow it seems too work it’s way into our house far to often. Enjoy your vacation.

Kelly says

Great list…they all intrigue me! And I so admire your ambition! This list should give me enough reading material to last me the next 10 years! :)

i am laughing my way through Enslaved by Ducks by bob tarte right now. LOVE literary nonfiction, so I want to read the last three on your list. thanks….

there you’ll find me is SUCH a good book! definitely one of my favourites. you expect a funny little romance, but there’s way more to it than that. it’s actually one of jenny’s deeper books, i’d say. i love it – i re read a few chapters ever so often. :)

Oooh, thanks for sharing your summer reading list! I thought I’d seen every book there is on Africa, but I hadn’t heard of Running for My Life! I’ve been scouring Amazon for biographical/missions type books on Africa (mostly East Africa). Here are some of my faves:

No Greater Love by Levi Benkert (I am able to loan this on Kindle if anyone wants to read it!)
    Father to the Fatherless: The Charles Mulli Story
    A Time for Every Purpose Under Heaven (One Woman’s Trip to Africa – My Story) (also loanable on Kindle!)

On my wish list:

No Retreat – No Regrets by Jaime Peters

Teresa says

Kisses From Katie. A must read. It is amazing how this 19 year old girl has let God use her in Africa. Loved it. It certainly made me look at my own life.

I read Cleaning House recently. It was interesting. I thought some of her ideas were really great (although a few times I wanted to shake someone in her family :)). I also thought the writing style was interesting because it seemed like she mostly copied her blog and pasted it in a book. That was interesting because it was written in present tense even though it was a 12 month experiment. Also interesting because it didn’t really say what I could do for my family, it just said what she did (which for some people might be better because it didn’t come off as preachy like some books do, but also frustrating because I just wanted her to tell me what to do :)). I am sure you will enjoy it!

Deb says

Checked out Running For my life last night, just finished it, EXCELLENT suggestion. You should watch Steve Saint’s update videos…good stuff. ;) Have fun in Hawaii!

I do not know whether it’s just me or if everybody else experiencing issues with your site.
    It looks like some of the written text within your content are
    running off the screen. Can somebody else please comment
    and let me know if this is happening to them too?
    This could be a issue with my web browser because I’ve had this happen previously.
    Kudos